Competition time! - Guess the Airport

No mate, it's not Anglesey - right aspect, but wrong ocean :!: The shot was taken after downloading the Tomcat from AVSIM (by Ivan Kostic and Steve Hinson) and trying it out in ......... The scenery loading, after pressing Fly Now! went too quickly, and when the simulation started the trees, and other airport fixtures, were suspended in mid air. I left the Tomcat 'purring' on the runway and watched as the scenery developed in front of my eyes - it was fantastic, as the land 'rose up' to accommodate the 'flying' shrubbery :!:

Another clue: Jim Hardie's company was founded here - Jim Who? :mrhappy:

And thanks for the advice - I'll try one of the forums you suggested with my queries.

Cheers - David.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mut - good try - wrong continent but right ocean-ish. Here's another sreen shot:

Airport01.jpg

I bet that gives it away - especially if Fred's on the case :roll:

More clues if you need them...........

Cheers - David.

I think I've got it. I believe it's KSFO, San Francisco. Hidden in plain sight.

Talk about short on clues! I may be too free with the hints, but this one is at the other end of the spectrum. :mrhappy:

John

Hi John - well done! You're absolutely right, Wikepedia says -

San Francisco International Airport (IATA: SFO, ICAO: KSFO, FAA LID: SFO) is a major international airport located 13 miles (21 kilometers) south of San Francisco,

The next clue was little more illuminating, but here it is anyway:

Airport04.jpg

Over to you, mate.....

Cheers - David.

Well done John, I'm looking forward to the next one :mrhappy:

David, there's a fantastic model of Alcatraz for FSX available free from Aerosoft Here!

Here's a couple of shots I posted last year

sr22040.jpg

sr22036.jpg

sr22056.jpg

Cheers

OK, guys, I hope to post one tonight (UTC -4), but will be in our vacation digs, and I think, on dial-up. :mrhappy: If the connection is solid, it shouldn't be a problem, but there's a per-call charge, so it may be an issue if I'm repeatedly getting bumped off the system.

Will spend some time on the drive over cogitating on which geographically obscure airpatch I ought to try to confound you with. Maybe something with a 350 ft. grass runway and a rotating beacon. :yes:

Rest assured I won't be so free with the clues this time, either graphical or verbal.

We drive right by KMCO, Orlando on the way over, so it won't be that. You can cross MCO off your list of suspects.

John

Thanks, Mut - I really didn't want to get as close as you did - I hope they treated you O.K. inside...... :yes:

I'll download the scenery and update my 'flypast' - by the way, the Tomcat is a phenominal beast - really something around Snowdonia :mrhappy:

Cheers -David.

Here’s our latest mystery airfield….

This is standard FS9 scenery, of course. The place is somewhat short of facilities, just approach slope lights on one runway and runway lights. 

y4m_5YZ_3kJMgLNw5rYumTNTLqK4RD81dd3SUMke

There’s a very small town nearby.

y4mOq62tYE3-4Ld0WEkQihmkwTrfrjyRvuF8cBjI

Not far away is this body of water, a long bay of sorts.

y4mwYMQ0IA2GF5w22rV7Z3zfIOJ6m0y1qlV4-_rD

It widens into a broad estuary, joining the sea beyond, and a small city lies on the left bank.

y4mudoBnj2l4Fb3Ev_I4xhgXcgsQ5EbsvLvCsjrb

The airport’s named for food.

The town is named for a place on a different continent….or vice versa.

Well, we're dial up, at 50 cents a call, and just have an old USB joystick and the laptop screen. I miss my yoke, pedals and a big monitor. Still, it's better than being grounded.

John

I've been having a good look around, from your clues I am led to somewhere in the states? Given the food reference it's definitely not McDonalds :rofl

I think I will see what other clues are offered :mrhappy:

One of two is correct, Mut. The referenced food is not McDonalds, as you surmised, but the airport is not in the US. So, you can not only scratch KMCO from your list of suspects, but K-anything.

Another hint in about 24 hours if no one is getting warm.

John

Another 24 hours has passed uneventfully. For the next clue I’ve let the mad engineer out of the bottle…. :yikes:

First let’s tighten up the ranges I gave yesterday a little. North latitude is between 55 and 60 degrees.

...and...

Field elevation is between 375 and 400 feet (a pretty useless clue, in and of itself).

But with this…..

X = 7.11Y - Z

...where….

X = West longitude

Y = North latitude

Z = Field elevation

…it might help provide some needed narrowing of possibilities.  If you get a negative result, use common sense.  You already have ranges of values for Y and Z, so have at it…

This should get you into a fairly small slice of the globe, much of it too wet for an airport.

Remember the earlier clues:

Airport name = food

City (town?, village?) = a place on another continent

This should separate the navigators from the pilots. I expect some of our students to run hard for the goal line with this. I’ll be very surprised if we don’t have a winner today. I can almost hear the palms smacking the foreheads already.

An earlier comment will prove ironic. :rockon:

I’ll give another clue in 24 hours, if needed, but I doubt it will be.