Competition time! - Guess the Airport

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mut,

I'm pretty sure we're looking at Lajes AB in the Azores, LPLA.

If this was quite easy, I'm not sure what would constitute a difficult one!

The inverted pass was a very classy shot. I couldn't have managed that in the Cub at Mt. Pleasant.

John

Spot on John,

It was only easy because I knew where it was! How did you get it so easily?

If I were to start giving clues it have probably gone quite quickly!

Do you want to do another or let someone else set the next one?

@Joe, the water textures are fs9wat.zip from AVSIM or the direct download is this link http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=37994

Cheers

I worked from the fact that it was clearly an island, and not too large a one at that and went from there.

I'll have another shot.

There are some visual clues here. Look carefully. More clues tomorrow, if needed.

John

What is that?

y4mO7pDZdh8GTOnXzI2VyZpRC6HkU4tDVKbA1MOx

What is that???

y4mkOCfvPSaTcds1hRzHNGcwLX01qOjG-pd1UusL

There’s the harbor.

y4mb2m_FpR8k0sD8-cb4MKUxgAB5o_sYC1mcJaLr

Short final for 18.

y4mLAvznJbH3gJSQHcs1nnFB2SXzBlW9yOD2Yz68

Top down view.

y4mU_Amq1SdRw1F2Nl5uvP1XEdl6NR5fCofaoTf4

Took some time, John, but the big steel gantries resurrected a distant boyhood memory of old geography books.....

Making the approach:

InboundPanamaCanal.jpg

Flying over the canal 'gantries':

PanamaCanal.jpg

And the nearest we could get to Albrook AFB with the Short Empress...

PanamaAlbrook.jpg

LOL :mrhappy:

Thanks for the destination.

Cheers - David.

Thanks, Mut, I really enjoyed the canal airfield and getting there in the Short Empire (not Empress, sorry!) from AVSIM - goes almost anywhere..... BUT, I'm totally strapped for time to do justice to the comp - at least for the next day or two (we're lambing here, no joke) - so any chance you, or one of the crew, could stand in, please?

Many thanks - I'll make up for it when I can.

Cheers - David.

Here we go with the next airport....

The first correct guess wins a flight to this destination! (On flight sim :mrhappy: )

guess1.jpg

guess2.jpg

guess3.jpg

guess4.jpg

I included this one as the sky looked nice :yes:

guess5.jpg

Hi John,

I feel almost certain this airport would be in FS9 although being at work right now it's difficult to check. If it's not guessed I will check tonight.

A couple of clues, this county was first under Dutch and then British protection.

There's no need for daylight saving here

Would be an ideal location to film Robinson Crusoe!

This appears to be Male Int'l (VRMM), at Male in the Maldives.

If you ever wanted a reason to go to FSX, look at the difference between the original post and the last one.

John

Very impressive John!

You must either have a database of runways and airports or pictures of every airport in FS9, either way that was quick! So own up which one is it? :wink:

Do you want to do the next?

Cheers

Neither. Honest! Your clues were pretty good and got me in the right part of the world. I can pump through them pretty quickly looking for what I do know, in this case an airport in a certain region with 18/36 and no other runways. I keep a flight open in the top down view and when I get a candidate I can get a quick look. Would have had it last night if not for the differences between your FSX screenshots and my FS9 world.

If you don't have a problem waiting a bit, I'm willing to post another. Have some errands to run tonight, and it will be a few hours before I can get to it. Will probably be tomorrow before you folks see them. Might give Dave in Australia an unfair advantage. :wink:

I have an idea for the next one that may make it less a geography lesson and more a history exercise.

John

Hey John,

The clues for the Maldives can really give it away, like the highest point any where is only 2.4 metres, a favourite honeymoon destination, flight transfers usually by seaplane, that sort of thing!

That sounds good John, no hurry, It's Joe in Australia, Dave in Northern Island!

Mind you I haven't seen Joe for a while I'm hoping he is flying leg 5 in the challenge! I sent him a mail but had no reply yet but the time zones are hopefully to blame!

Good luck with your errands!

Cheers,

Mut