Hi all,

I'm still using FSX Default! :biggrin:

This seems to be what everyone uses and looks very nice. Just a couple of questions: I'm reading a variety of reviews first, including the Mutley's Hangar one, and there seems to be a lot of features for this addon. Are any of these by any means compulsory? Can I just have the benifits of beautiful environments and leave the flightplanning, real world weather etc.? Secondly, if I were to install this, I suppose I would install it with FTX mode "OFF"?

Cheers,

George

Hi all,

I'm still using FSX Default! :thanks:

This seems to be what everyone uses and looks very nice. Just a couple of questions: I'm reading a variety of reviews first, including the Mutley's Hangar one, and there seems to be a lot of features for this addon. Are any of these by any means compulsory? Can I just have the benifits of beautiful environments and leave the flightplanning, real world weather etc.? Secondly, if I were to install this, I suppose I would install it with FTX mode "OFF"?

Cheers,

George

Hi George, I can answer your first query. Yes! you can just install Rex2 and choose to let it do it's stuff. It will load when you run FSX and also you can choose to have it give you a random weather theme every time you fly. You won't regret it!!

As for FTX I'm not sure.

Good luck

Regards

Needles

It's a big download but well worth it.

I use REX for the textures (see thread in scenery forum with themes) and then let active sky do the weather.

Load up REX and install the theme, shut it down and load up ASX (just make sure that you change the settings so ASX doesn't use it's own textures. The fly!

The REX weather engine is good and the avoidance tool is nice, but the constant 'rex is updated fsx with the weather' messages get annoying, plus they cause FSX to hang a little when the new weather is being inserted

Hi George,

Thanks for the update on the REX review, I will try and have a look at updating it.

Also, your question about switching FTX of before installing REX2, there is no need, it's only if yo are installing other scenery area like ES Isles of Scilly . Other than the wx generator . REX2 simply generates new textures for the sky clouds and water. It's a different type of program :thanks:

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Sorry t continue this thread but I think it is relevant and don't want to start a new one...

I use REX 2.0 for the clouds and water (10/10 for the graphics on ultra high) but I am actually really disappointed in the level of detail on the ground - what is the most used ground texture application do people use these days?

Obviously I need something that will work along side REX 2

Thanks,

Jim

UTX I heartily recommend. It doesn't affect the textures per se, but it does wonders for coastlines, roads, rivers, railways etc, and has a built in landclass that better defines how the land is used (i.e. where the towns are, what areas are forests, scrubland, arable crops etc). It comes from Flight1, which means that you get a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. If you decide to go for photo real at a later date, UTX's 3d night lighting will still show through (often better than the texture lighting supplied by the photo guys), and because it is so vast (i.e. the whole of Europe) it's still good outside the photo coverage area.

GEX is often seen as a companion to UTX, since it addresses the textures (i.e. how brown is my grass etc), rather than the scenery features themselves. Many people swear by it; personally I think it is fugly.

The third thing to consider is a mesh. Mesh is the underlying bones of the scenery; it's what makes the mountains, hills & valleys pointy (or not). The two big contenders here are FS Global (e.g. http://www.flightstore.co.uk/fs-global-ultimate-europe-africa-for-fsx.asp/simulation ) or FS Genesis (http://www.fsgenesis.com/) FSgenesis meshes tend to be of lower resolution, but they are downloadable and available with smaller coverage areas) Either way, mesh files are massive and you will need a big hard drive and fairly powerful PC if you want to use them. But they make a huge improvement, particularly if you fly GA.

All of these things integrate quite happily with each other and with REX.

Or if you want textures, roads, coastlines and mesh in one product get any of the ORBX/FTX regions. (Actually for the Australia region you need to download a separate Mesh, but it's available free from their site).