Cockpit Images

Dear Forum moderator(s),

Is this the correct Topic to post images of our home built flightsim cockpits? ... including of course "out of window" views!

If not should we creat a new "topic" ... I feel sure that there are now quite a number of keen simmers who are considering building cockpits (or even improving the reality of their desktop setup), and they/we would benefit from the advice of wiser souls who have already started on this seductive occu^pation ......... ?!?!

David

Hi David,

Thanks for raising the question, as hurricanemk1c said, the best place for this is in the general forum (I have moved it for you) and leave the screenshot forum for shots from within the simthanks.gif

Other shots like real world shots of visits to airports or shots of airshows go in the real world forums.

Now show us your setup!!

Cheers,

Joe

Hi David - we'd be delighted to see your home-built set-up. You will need to store your images on the web first, using a site like ImageShack, PhotoBucket, or similar. Here's a couple of useful links:

1. ImageShack here, and

2. PhotoBucket here

I've been using PhotoBucket for a number of years. It's good and, most importantly, free! But there are other sites just as good, I expect...

Once you've up-loaded your image(s), then insert into your post like this:

{IMG}http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256/shortlands/Air_St-P_ATR_Miquelon.jpg{/IMG}

BUT CHANGE THE CURLY BRACKETS TO STRAIGHT BRACKETS!!!

Let us know if you need more help...

CHeers - Dai. :cool:

Merci Joe!

Right I will post some photos of my home-built cockpit setup ... but do I have to be the first? ... must be some other forum members who've been going at this longer than me?!

As a "new member" ... how do I post images here ??!??

David

Hi David,

I have built myself a full-sized Boeing 767/747 Cockpit for my Flight Simulator.

I have almost completely finished the Pedestal Unit, and the first column of the overhead has been constructed. I've also converted quite a number of real-world instruments and have modified them for simulator usage.

You can see the projects, complete with pictures and blogs here:

Pedestal:

Overhead:

Right guys, thanks for the help! ... I'll give it a go (even though I am somewhat overawed by the sophisticated B757/767 setup already on the forum!!)

Here is my latest 2 seat flight simulator cockpit, setup for the default BARON

wv-baron.jpg

I should clarify that I am not trying to realistically create one specific aircraft, but make the cockpit a bit generic allowing me to fly both light and heavy metal!

David

Thanks folks, although it is not a "dedicated" cockpit I can fly with 9 different aircraft (each with their own panel configuration), for example here is the default CESSNA

WV-CESSNA.JPG

Each plane has its own removable metal masks.

Joe ... hadn't thought of charging admission (might pay for a new sim-cockpit?), at present all my friends use it free (apart from the drinks!!)

David

Thanks to all for your comments! Now just a last photo showing the home cockpit in its FSX default B737-800 form:-

WV-B737.JPG

So, by just changing the metal panel masks, I can get into some "heavy metal" and take-on some longer flights. This time with at least 1 friend to share out the work correctly (PILOT flying / COPILOT radio). The jumpseat occupied by the barperson ......

David

Hi David,

It would be of interest to some of us, as to how you went about building your pit, the costs involved (vulgar, I know), how long it took you and what is actually included in your setup ie how many PCs are running it etc.

Absolutely fantastic setup though. Well done.

Regards

Needles

Bonjour Needles,

I use 4 computers on a LAN ... 1 server for the cockpit, and 3 clients for the forward view.

There are 3 monitors behind the cockpit facade with 1 other monitor (out of site of the photos) all off the server. At present I fly 8 (default) aircraft each with its own modified panel configuration and set of 3 removable metal masks/cutouts.

Each of the three servers has just 1 monitor each with a full-screen "out of window" view. These views are controlled by Luciano Napolitano's WIDEVIEW software.

WV-LEAR.jpg

As you can see from the above photo of the cockpit in its LEARJET version, it is very easy to fly different planes by just changing the metal masks!

Any other questions ... don n't hesitate to ask ......

David