Hey Micke, Thanks. The Trim Wheel is going to be assigned as such but using my 'OpenCockpits Input/Outputs card and a SIOC script which our resident cockpit building wizard, Jack has helped me with.

I have installed my night lighting today and will have some pictures up soon to show it off, so keep looking.

Cheers.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Micke, you would be correct if you are talking about the Cessna Trim Wheel from Saitek, but I have built my own using a Rotary encoder and a wheel cut from a piece of MDF.

I made a frame for it out of a 3mm x 25mm strip of aluminium and bolted it to my panel.

The Saitek TW is indeed plug and play.

Cheers

But will you be able to see over the top, eh?!? :whis:

Love the clamps - now I know where all mine went! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. cool.gif

only wimps need to see over the top try flying a cessna 207 you can hide a whole county under its nose

• 3 months later...

HI Guys,

I have had a hectic few months already this year but I have finally finished my Cockpit/Panel.

Here are a pic' showing what I will be taking to the show at Weston this year/week. :wacko2:

IMG_0136.jpg

The screens look a tad small but it's just the distance I took the shot. I had to have the panel further from the desk as I was still tidying the cables at the back.

I will also be getting the TH2Gop this year and a third monitor.

I will also be posting some pics of the final stages of building but they will have to wait until after the show at Weston.

Cheers. :thum:

Thanks very much Guys. Your thoughts are much appreciated. I can tell you though, it wasn't all plain sailing....err flying as I was learning as I built it.

I had loads of help with the technical side of things from Jack aka Aircraft Aviation and his Dad, so many thanks to them for their invaluable knowledge and assistance. :hat: (I'll get you a pint at the Old Inn). ;)

I will maybe do another panel some time to make it lighter and more portable. This one weighs in at about 26Kilo's, so it's a chunk to move about. :wacko2:

I think my next panel will be made from aluminium.

Don't worry Joe it will be on wheels for the show. :D

One other point to make is......Wifey has no idea what it's actually cost me. :th_blush:

I don't think I want to tally the costs up either. Anyhow, it's built now and I can, at last, start to enjoy some realistic flying.

Cheers guys.

I will maybe do another panel some time to make it lighter and more portable. This one weighs in at about 26Kilo's, so it's a chunk to move about. :wacko2:

How would you like a real cockpit? my local airport here is going to dismantle 2 boeing 727's next week cut it off at floor level and keep the roof on, put the whole thing on wheels and awayyyy you go

Now why did i sell my last house? I had a garage there where you could put 15 cars in side. :(

I don't know if I can make extreme jealousy pour out over the internet but I would if I could.

Absolutely brilliant Brian, looks like a very beautiful piece of furntiture, great job, love it :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Whoaaa Guys. Look too close and you will see the blutack and staples.

Seriously though, thanks for all your responses they are very much appreciated. :thum:

How would you like a real cockpit? my local airport here is going to dismantle 2 boeing 727's next week cut it off at floor level and keep the roof on, put the whole thing on wheels and awayyyy you go

Now why did i sell my last house? I had a garage there where you could put 15 cars in side. :(

I would indeed like a real cockpit to convert but Wifey would have something to say I'm sure. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

The GPS I have is a custom job that I built.

I had to build one that fitted in the space I had available. It is narrower than the VRInsight model. It consists of a vga panel with associated circuit board, several momentary switches, a dual rotary encoder and a Leo Bodnar Joystick Card http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ I used this to conect all the switches to FSX, using the offsets in the control settings. I will be doing an update to my panel when I return home from holiday, when I will explain all about how I got everything working.

So the panel is connected to a spare VGA output on the graphics card or DVI with an adaptor and the Leo Bodnar card is connected via USB. I then undock the GPS panel in FSX and drag it to me LCD/VGA screen.

I hope this explains things for you, but as I said, when I get home again I will be doing some more updates to My Cockpit Buld.

Cheers

Brian :thum:

Hi Guys,

Another wee addition to my panel courtesy of AeroMax.

It's a Parking Brake lever.

Unfortunately Max had a problem with the lack of direct usb ports so he was unable to use it.

So, after a short hop from Germany, here it is.

Here you can see it's installed into the back of my panel albeit on a temporary basis. I will eventually fix it in permanently once everything is tested and I'm happy.

DSC04441.jpg

Here it is as it looks on the front panel. Both pictures show it in it's relevant positions. Fully in for released and fully out for activated.

DSC04439.jpg

DSC04440.jpg

Apologies to M31 who would have also liked to get this but hey, a big 'Thank You' to Joe for drawing my attention to it in the 'Classifieds' section and an equally big Thank You to Max for selling it to me.

More updates to follow, but not quite ready for the camera yet, so bear with me and keep looking.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Brian, sorry i missed yours til now. If you could PM me a diag it would be good. I'm using two outs on my card at moment so may have an excuse to upgrade it again. Cheers, Mike

Will do one later today Mike. Have to go into Inverness this morning but will get it done later.

Cheers

your set up looks great how did you makethe black part on top of your cockpit??? its time to upgrade mine...... great job..... cheers

Hi Diverone,

I made it using 4 layers of bendy hardboard. 1/4" thick and slotted. Glue between the layers and clamped over my panel until dry then shaped to get the final design.

Then I covered it in a leather look fabric.

Check out the pictures in my post 'My Cockpit Build' here. http://i489.photobuc...kTopstarted.jpg

and here http://i489.photobuc...chtopformed.jpg

Having made mine already, with hindsite I would suggest making the glareshield OFF the actual panel and screwing or bolting it on when it's made.

This way you won't have the problems I faced when trying to attach the fabric to the underside.

Any more questions just fire away.

Cheers and thanks for your interest.

Brian