• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

There were some really great piston powered aircraft developed late in the war and in the immediate post war period.  In a way it's a pity that their day in the sun was cut short by the emergence of practical jet types.  I can't fault the jets any more than one can fault diesels for supplanting steam locomotives and later, steamships.  I like the old stuff a lot but the new stuff is better, if less sexy.

John

• Like 2

I agree with you, when I was a child I lived right by Heathrow Airport, In the 60s piston aircraft were still very much part of the scene, Constellations, DC3s, 4s, 6s and 7s, The odd Stratocruiser, Convairs, Breguet Universals etc, they gradually faded out over the years, Then came the loud early Jets and Turboprops, Trident's VC-10s, B707s, DC-8s, Vanguards, Viscounts, Electras Argosys, they too are now more or less just ghosts of the past, These days it's just endless streams of identical vacuum cleaners! Progreass may be good, But I prefer real aeroplanes!

• Like 1

Andrew .......Nope

I can see why you went for that.  The image is not great, probably not good enough to see the difference.  I have changed it for a clearer one.

It's such a truck, and for ugly, it's an 11.  :D Obvious ag sprayer but it's older brother made a famous appearance in a movie about Max, flown by Bruce, and with Tina playing the lead female.

• Like 1

The original ones had a flat 4 lycoming engine. This radial conversion makes and ugly aircraft even uglier.  Got a couple of them in FS9.

Alan,

I would question whether this is a conversion.  My guess is it is original with a  Pratt & Whitney, R-1340, nine cylinder, air cooled, radial engine, 550 hp (410 kW), because it's the 11 not the 12.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

The original ones had a flat 4 lycoming engine. This radial conversion makes and ugly aircraft even uglier.  Got a couple of them in FS9.

Alan,

I would question whether this is a conversion.  My guess is it is original with a  Pratt & Whitney, R-1340, nine cylinder, air cooled, radial engine, 550 hp (410 kW), because it's the 11 not the 12.

Cheers

Andrew

You may well be right, still an ugly thing.(but no worse than some other Ag aircraft) I'd like to know how many people actually piled into and to that one in the movie.

It's such a truck, and for ugly, it's an 11.  :D Obvious ag sprayer but it's older brother made a famous appearance in a movie about Max, flown by Bruce, and with Tina playing the lead female.

When you said 11 I thought you were giving it marks out of 10 for being ugly!

When you said 11 I thought you were giving it marks out of 10 for being ugly!

John,

This often plays out like a cryptic crossword and not all is what it seems.  :D

Cheers

Andrew

The Airtruk, as it came to be know in its last iteration, had an interesting development history.  In this case, the image Kieran displayed was of the Bennett / Waitamo PL-11 'Airtruck' (note the spelling of Airtruck with a 'c'), and produced in New Zealand.  The only two produced crashed within days of their first flights.

It was later redesigned and developed by the Transavia Corporation in Australia as the PL-12 'Airtruk' (no 'c').  The PL-12 used a range of Continental and Lycoming 6 and 8 cylinder engines.  The PL-12 was rather successful and there where about 120 produced, with at least two still flying today.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

@ John G - It pays to read any comments from Andrew or Alan in the Guess the aircraft thread VERY carefully.  They often salt the trail with clues even when they are not the one who posted.  If their choice of word looks stilted or odd or if the spelling of a word doesn't seem right, think twice.  It's probably some helpful hint to the identity of the mystery aircraft.

John

• Like 1

We're starting to repeat ourselves. I recall posting a picture (possibly a year ago - in this thread) of one of the Airtruck wrecks with the registration blocked out. I went looking and couldn't find it. The pictures are victims of a mis-placed cleanup in SmugMug. This means they won't be available to the thread. I may still find them in a hard drive backup.

Edit: I believe Alan identified the a/c that time.

• Like 1