Leg 73: Ivato [FMMI] to Mogadishu [HCMM] (3 Parter!)

Thanks to Simi for one of our best posts yet, a hard act to follow :wink:

Welcome to my 1700 Nm trip from IVATO [FMMI] to MOGADISHU [HCMM] in 3 parts.

I had planned to fly in something impressive but a call came in from our central Madagascar FBO office manager that the deal was off :help: (Naturally I fired him Alan Sugar style!)

My worst fears were realised, I would have to make the flight in our standby Cessna 206. Checking the performance tables the max range I could get out of her with a 45 min reserve was 690Nm @ 8,000ft so long as I kept the fuel flow below 11 gallons per hour.

So I figured 3 flights should do it, I did look at heading out to the Seychelles but the hop to Mogadishu just wasn't on the cards so it was "No dice Chicago"!

My first flight would still see me on mainland Madagascar, it's a huge island, the fourth largest in the world.

I hope the flight is not too boring, this is the first chance I've had in ages to take on such an epic!

Part 1

IVATO [FMMI] to ARRACHART [FMNA], 402 nautical miles

So here's Ivato in the middle of the island. It's the centre of the community there are quite a few amenities on site.

fmmi-fmna.jpg

By the time I got to the Surf & Turf Simi was there with a crowd around him, he was wowing the locals with stories of Vulcan bombers! :vulc

After the topic had turned to how he was going to get an Apple-Mac into every UK household by 2010 I decided it was time to leave :giggle: So having prized the much coveted baton from his hands I made my way to the apron. Simi said something about being off to take up reef's offer of a beer. (Run reef, run!)

fmmi-fmna01.jpg

So here is the Stationair with a new lick of paint!

fmmi-fmna02.jpg

Over to our commentator for the flight.

We are just holding short, we've got clearance so ready for the off!

fmmi-fmna03.jpg

Lined up, I wonder what adventure lays ahead? :bored:

fmmi-fmna04.jpg

Into the wind with an unexpected gust.

fmmi-fmna05.jpg

It's very hot in the cockpit, I've got the window open along with the cowl flaps to get some air circulation. (Can any one smell vanilla? :yikes: )

fmmi-fmna06.jpg

Some local wind farms in the distance, a very popular power source here.

fmmi-fmna07.jpg

Steadily climbing to my cruise @ 8,000 the landscape really doesn't change that much with this scenery.

fmmi-fmna08.jpg

Just admiring my handy work, as you can tell it didn't take long.

fmmi-fmna09.jpg

The GPS is a great help as there are not that many nav aids around.

fmmi-fmna10.jpg

It's a whole lot cooler up here, she's trimmed out and following the track nicely.

fmmi-fmna11.jpg

Did I remember the? .... Phew yes there is is on the seat!

fmmi-fmna12.jpg

Not much off freezing up here, glad I remembered my jacket and flask!

fmmi-fmna13.jpg

A hour later ......

Passing over a river, there's not many of them in Madagascar.

fmmi-fmna14.jpg

We passed though a band of cloud I am flying VFR but don't have a great deal of options, I can still see the ground so I'm not too worried.

fmmi-fmna15.jpg

So at this point I was getting quite bored so thought I would have a look around with my TrackIR.

fmmi-fmna17.jpg

Nothing down there....

fmmi-fmna18.jpg

Or here..

fmmi-fmna20.jpg

Oh, contact from a "Human being"! 28 Miles to go.

fmmi-fmna21.jpg

Downwind, I'm keeping well clear of the balloon activity.

fmmi-fmna23.jpg

Just turned for the base leg and a tight final, I just want to get in before an incoming Citation.

fmmi-fmna24.jpg

I'm always over to the left we've no ILS to follow.

fmmi-fmna25.jpg

Lucky 13?

fmmi-fmna26.jpg

See! we're down safely, after a refuel and feet up for an hour we will be off again.

fmmi-fmna27.jpg

Slowing down on the roll out, there's no need for heavy breaking.

fmmi-fmna28.jpg

Pretty balloons!

fmmi-fmna29.jpg

Engine off, I've called up for the fuel bowser.

fmmi-fmna30.jpg

See you later!

Wow! Very nice. Great shots, great scenery. The departure airport is fantastic and I liked the wind farm shot too. How'd you do the baton shot. Glad to see Sharon didn't get her hands on it.

Looking forward to the rest.

John

:help::rockon:

:yikes: :wink: :giggle: :bored:

What a post!!!! I loved the repaint, the scenery, everything! really looking forward to the other parts.

Hope you are satisfied with TrackIR. Will your discount offer for it be available at Christmas?

P.S>Can you please send me the repaint?

Part 2

ARRACHART [FMNA] to PRINCE SAID IBRAHI [FMCH] 392 nautical miles

Welcome back!

Later that day after some chow and a dog nap I was ready to go. knowing this was going to be just as long a flight as the last one I was keen to get under way, we could get to Comoros at a decent time.

Got the weather from the tower, maybe some cb's en-route so that will keep me occupied, obviously I've switched to IFR mode now, I will try to steer clear of them.

fmnai-fmch01.jpg

The balloons are returning home, we're nicely warmed up, taxi checks done.

fmnai-fmch03.jpg

The sun is now fading fast, lined up on 13.

fmnai-fmch04.jpg

Sorry about the landing lights on the tips of the wings, I had been messing around with the cfg.

fmnai-fmch05.jpg

Turning towards the town and then onto the sea, life jacket is stowed just in case.

fmnai-fmch06.jpg

Hazy evening, the moisture is increasing.

fmnai-fmch07.jpg

I thought a shot from the one of the rear seats would make a nice snapshot? :yikes: No you're right!

fmnai-fmch08.jpg

Into the sun, it's quite bright, donning my sunglasses for a while.

fmnai-fmch09.jpg

Now we are level on a straight and level course to Comoros.

fmnai-fmch10.jpg

The last rays of the sun.

fmnai-fmch11.jpg

As the stars appeared I thought there were too many of them ..... until I cleaned the dust of my screen!

fmnai-fmch12.jpg

As forecast there are flashes below, we're jumping up and down like a crazed gorilla!

fmnai-fmch15.jpg

One day I'll make a flight where there are no storms!

fmnai-fmch16.jpg

Intercepted the localiser early, turning on to final.

fmnai-fmch19.jpg

Well established and landing checks complete, we're number one.

fmnai-fmch20.jpg

Last minute corrections required!

fmnai-fmch21.jpg

Sorry, nothing to see here!

fmnai-fmch23.jpg

We are here for the night.

fmnai-fmch24.jpg

Cold & dark, I'm just going to switch the panel lights off.

fmnai-fmch25.jpg

I'm off for a quick night cap, see you in the morning.

snoopy.gif

Cheers,

Another great set of shots, Mut. Interesting light effects looking back at the departure airport. Actually, the back seat shot was kind of novel, and whoever modeled the interior of the 206 did a great job.

Looking forward to leg 73.3.

John

Mut,

Great shots! The quality of your shots and commentary never fails to impress me. That C206 looks like a great addon - I'm tempted! TrackIR looks brilliant too - double tempted!

Looking forward to part 3 - keep it up!

Cheers,

Dave :-)

Great stuff, Joe - your usual magic touch (gently steams with envy....) :!:

BTW, thanks for the HU on Madagascar's wind farms - more info here:

http://www.sustainabletravelinternational.org/enewsletters/january07responsibletravel.html

............ here's a quick summary taken from the above link ...............

Madwindfarmnews.jpg

Are the turbines part of the scenery? And is it FS2004 or FSX? Whatever - brilliant! Can't wait for Part III>

Cheers - Dai. :yikes:

Dai,

Thanks for the story on the wind farms, I was pleased it was in the scenery as I had read about it else where. Also my comment on the smell of vanilla was relevant too :yikes:

This leg is totally FSX, the wind farm is part of the scenery, I found the scenery (Both airports in one package) through the link on our very own resources page http://www.mutleyshangar.com/atwc/resource.htm !

The final part follows in the morning.

Cheers

Part 3 - Final leg

PRINCE SAID IBRAHI [FMCH] to MOGADISSU [HCMM] 907 nautical miles

Morning..

So Just a reminder, we are on the Island of Comoros between Madagascar and mainland Africa.

weather.jpg

The Stationair's cockpit remained cold and dark, it had gone tech, some alternator / battery problem according to the engineer, what am I going to do? Can't let down my faithful "Hangars On"!

So time for quick thinking idea-1.gif nope, oh try again...

Ah KLM, they have a codeshare with Kenya Airways, I just happen to know there's a KLM aircraft here on a re-position to Kenya today I wonder...

Yep! all arranged, leg 73.3 is saved, so long as I fly the aircraft we can take it to Mogadishu then they will hop across the border from there.

Early morning in the office of our new aircraft.

Right, here we go, Pos Init.. Departure.... SID ... Route .... STAR....Arrival blah blah, I'm doing my best to program the FMC :eyebrow:

fmch-hcmm001.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet?

fmch-hcmm004.jpg

Hmm, need a window washer.. flaps set ... Just spooling her up.

fmch-hcmm006.jpg

Rolling, it's all coming back to me now.

fmch-hcmm007.jpg

Once again we are light, she gracefully left the tarmac and flexes her wings with no input from me.

fmch-hcmm008.jpg

Auto pilot, auto throttle, time for a coffee and read the newspaper! coffee1.gif

fmch-hcmm017.jpg

Unseen by me at the time , the first vestiges of dawn.

fmch-hcmm020.jpg

We're turning I noticed.

fmch-hcmm021.jpg

Yep, just past "IMKAK"

fmch-hcmm022.jpg

The moon is looking a little orange and has a halo, does that mean something? Yes rain on the way.

fmch-hcmm023.jpg

A shot of the FMC showing my dodgy bit of programming, It's a good job the boss of KLM isn't watching!

fmch-hcmm025.jpg

Wow! I just can't describe what a beautiful site this was.

fmch-hcmm030.jpg

The light is steaming into the cockpit.

fmch-hcmm032.jpg

The rising sun casts a strange light, the 767-300 in all her glory.

fmch-hcmm033.jpg

Beginning our descent.

fmch-hcmm034.jpg

The rain is starting to show, wipers on.

fmch-hcmm035.jpg

At FL120 into the rain.

fmch-hcmm036.jpg

We are lower than I thought we would be at this point, another procedural turn.

fmch-hcmm038.jpg

Blue on blue, I love the KLM livery.

fmch-hcmm040.jpg

Lowering the gear we are nearly on final approach.

fmch-hcmm042.jpg

Mogadishu by the sea!

fmch-hcmm044.jpg

15 seconds to go, 300 feet!

fmch-hcmm047.jpg

A very wet runway just applying full reverse and brakes.

fmch-hcmm050.jpg

Reverse trust is throwing the spray forward.

fmch-hcmm054.jpg

The engine is engulfed by spray.

fmch-hcmm055.jpg

Roll out to the end of the runway, I don't want to risk any accidents.

fmch-hcmm057.jpg

Making our way back to the terminal.

fmch-hcmm058.jpg

Welcome to Mogadishu, thanks for staying with me for this 3 part leg, much appreciated as it took a long time to do. (Flown real time!)

Dave? Where's Dave? over to you mate! atwc_baton.png

Cheers

Fantastic once again Mut - really great sunrise shots and those shots in the VC are just breathtaking! I want that Level-D - is it compatible with FS9? And is it available as an upgrade if you already own the old one?

Now, just let me finish this Guiness and I'll be on my way :eyebrow:

Cheers,

Dave :-)

Another winner, Mut. Very nice. The spray effects on landing were very convincing. It looks like there are no taxiways from the end of the runway. Did you have to turn that big monster and back-taxi to an exit?

John

Dave, the LDS 763 was $54.95 with a $40 money off coupon making it $14.95 back in June, that's £7.16 in our money. It was a special price as I had the FS9 version.

One of the best there is IMO.

Cheers

Another winner, Mut. Very nice. The spray effects on landing were very convincing. It looks like there are no taxiways from the end of the runway. Did you have to turn that big monster and back-taxi to an exit?

John

I did a "three point turn" John :eyebrow: