banner.jpg

Hot off the press!

Our latest review is Just Flight's DC-6B legends of flight reviewed by our "legendary" reviewer, David (Dai) Williams!

Enjoy and please don't forget to leave feedback here :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dai,

Just a quick note to say thanks for informing me that there is a DEMO version of the DC-6B. I installed that yesterday, and I am rather impressed with what I have seen (and indeed, heard). The shiny American Airlines colour scheme looks very nice, and the engines sound awesome! I will have another quick test flight tonight, and see what the landing characteristics are like, but it looks promising for a weekend purchase :thum:

After another test of the DC-6B Demo, there are three issues that irritate me.....

1. The "phase shifting" of the engine sounds when banking, or switching between views.

2. The total lack of touchdown and rollout sound effects.

3. No feeling of "weight" on touchdown. It feels like a butterfly landing, not a large four engined plane.

I guess that the full package also exhibits these problems?

Chris - I haven't got the DC-6B Demo installed, but I believe it contains a sub-set of the main files and a height limit. So, the pay-ware version should sound the same.

Now, I'll try to pick up on your points:

1. "Phase-shifting" sound - do you mean the stereo effect (left to right and back) or is this truly a phase-effect between the engines? I've certainly noticed the former when in the VC on manouevring and, I think, in the exterior view, particularly 'Fly-By'. Not sure about the latter, though!

2. You're right, the usual rumbling from the gear is muted.

3. The DC-6B does land extremely well - possibly more easily than other aircraft models of similar size. I'm not sure if this is a disadvantage as I can land her a lot better than I can the old DC-3 (default or JF) under similar conditions (airfield + weather).

Like I say in the Review, she's a joy to fly (apart from the navigation instruments in the VC - a personal gripe for me) and I thoroughly enjoyed helping out with beta testing and then doing the Review for the Forum. If you do go for the whole pay-ware version I'd be only too pleased to help out with any other queries.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thanks for the response, Dai. Landing characteristics are extremely important for me in a flight simulator, and this isn't the only plane that I have issues with in this department. Some stop far too quickly, whilst others (like this one) suffer from lack of decent touchdown and rollout sound effects, or have less than impressive thrust reverse sounds. It's rather disappointing to have a great flight, and then be confronted with almost total silence on touchdown. No matter how great a plane is at landing, there will always be "rattles, groans and rumbles" during rollout. Without them, the sense of immersion and believability is completely lost. I really hope that Just Flight do something about this, because at the moment I simply can't part with my money.