First, I should explain that I have been trying to stay in touch, including here on MH by using an iPad while travelling. My best comment is that this is difficult for someone not indoctrinated into the Apple way of doing things

That said, I get pop-ups advertising an app called Tapatalk. This pop up appears in a lot of cases when I load a forum ( eg: Avsim). It does not pop up when loading MH, so I suspect it is something the individual forum management must choose to include.

I mention this in the hope that there will be a dialogue forthcoming from knowledgeable individuals on the pros and cons of this app.

I experience difficulty with the MH forum when trying to read it on the iPad. From simple, easy to ignore stuff, like the banner buttons don't fit across the page, to impossible problems like the lack of the "load a picture" icon in the posting menu. In fact, the whole menu that I normally see on a PC is absent from the top of the posting window.

Most may say "ditch the iPad". Not a bad idea, but I've got some serious coin tied up in this gadget and it sure beats lugging a laptop on trips.

Comments, anyone?

Cheers,

March

(too much time on his hands while he waits for airport transport)

Tapatalk used to for this forum, but it stopped working after Joe did an update for the forum-software.

On my Iphone I use the "IPB Moblie" app, and it works Ok. There's an issue with Personal messages where I can't see the content of the messages, and it sometimes shutsdown while loading topics with lots and lots of images (like the ATWC PIREPs). but other than that it's pretty good.

I hope to never own any computer named for fruit, nor any device whose name begins with a lower-case letter "i".

My wife has a new Samsung tablet and likes it very much. I haven't played with it so can't really say too much, but she accesses and uses many of the sites/pages that she uses on her desktop PC and doesn't seem to be struggling.

John

I never installed Tapatalk here as this forum software has it's own mobile skin, as Micke noted which should work fine for mobile/cellphones.

My iPad uses the standard forum skin and it has quirky moments but that's not the forum software's fault :D

From past experience I try to keep as much 3rd party software off the forum as it never keeps up with forum improvements made by the developer and more often then not ends up causing problems.

I hear you John. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this Crapple and I'm trying to make the best of it. I'll take a look at the app Mikael suggested, above. It is only a problem when I travel. But, I travel a lot. One of the problems with " no fixed address". Thanks for the info, anyway, maybe Santa Clause will be good to me next year and stop by the Samsung Store.

Cheers,

March

@Joe,

We must have been typing at the same time. When I hit the Post button your message loaded ahead of mine. I'm not concerned that the forum is at fault - never crossed my mind. I know the iPad is the problem. I'm just looking for solutions.

I'll go looking for the MH Mobile Skin. That might be the whole problem if I'm not using the correct skin in the first place.

Cheers,

March

Now I've really screwed the pooch (apologies to Mutley).

I found the mobile skin choice at the bottom of the settings page. Tapped on it and got what I asked for.

The original was far better.

Now, I'm having the devil's own time trying to get back.

Not so Cheery,

March

Oh, woe is me......

I can see the box at the bottom of this page "Full Version", but it's sort of greyed out and when I tap it, nothing happens.

The 4 boxes in the upper right hand corner (arranged in a 2x2 matrix) bring up a menu with sign out button and six choices below. Such as: Messenger, Notifications, New Content, Status Updates, Search, and Mark as Read.

That's it. There doesn't seem to be any way to get at the settings ( or even my profile) to make whatever changes I need to get back

Not Cheerful,

March

Soon to be kicked out of this boarding lounge and onto another bus. I was sure I bought an airline ticket.

Have you tried scrolling to the bottom of the page and select 'use mobile version'?

It gives you a different view but perhaps that will help?

I use the iPad on the forum all the time (using it right now actually), and I really don't have any issues other than the smileys not working.

Seatac, missed your comment this morning. Clicking on "use mobile version" is what started the problem. Now I can't get back because the button for "Full Version" is greyed out and does nothing.

@Joe, I'm using the full version on another browser, so all is not lost. I just cannot use the "Chrome" app in the iPad. As long as I use the default browser "Safari", I can use the "Full Version". It's when I try to open MH in Chrome (the browser where I made the change) that I get the mobile version only.

Cheers,

March

Hi March,

I use Chrome on the iPad too. It must be caching the site so getting the old textures, you are definitely back with our default theme.

Try clicking on the refresh icon to to the left of the address box a few times. On a laptop it would be Ctrl + F5 but I am not sure how to emulate on an iPad.

I have come across this not being able to revert to a regular theme from a mobile one before, I am sure it is a bug, it's happened to me too. :th_blush:

Seatac, missed your comment this morning. Clicking on "use mobile version" is what started the problem. Now I can't get back because the button for "Full Version" is greyed out and does nothing.

Have you tried clearing the website data?

Go to settings, Advanced, Website Data, Show All Sites.

You can either click Remove All Website Data, which will cause you to have to login to your sites again, or you can scroll through the list of websites and delete the entries for Mutley's Hangar. I say entries because there will be multiple ones for the site. Sometimes after you think that you've got them all, you have to close out of Settings and go back in and you'll see more again. That's why it's easier to just remove all of them. That may reset it back to the full version.

Hope that helps.

@Joe, @Seatac,

Tried both of your suggestions. I'm replying on the Chrome App, now.

The real change came about when I first loaded MH into the Chrome app. Now I get the (presumably) Mobile Version, except that there are Avatars on the left of each post. These were not there previously. The button on the bottom of all the pages "Full Version" is still greyed out.

I tried loading a picture rich page - I used ATWC IV, and all is well there, too. The pics show up just fine.

This mobile version is OK, but it still lacks a lot of the features that the full version has, such as a Home button.

I will give up on this now. I think Joe's comment about this being a bug is accurate. Let's assume, for now, that switching to the MH Mobile Version while using a Mobile Version of Chrome is not reversible. What I will do is delete the Chrome App from my iPad and see if this will force a reset. Otherwise, I'll just use the Safari App to access MH. That app is still set for the full version of this forum.

I'm loathe to test Safari to see if I can switch back and forth between versions because I'm liable to get both stuck in the same format.

Cheers,

March

March,

I have replicated the problem on Chrome on my iPad, the way to get back the defaut skin back is to open Chrome, tap the set up Icon, (The 3 horizontal lines icon to the right of the address bar) then select Settings - Privacy - "Clear Cookies, site data" and the browser reloads the forum theme correctly.

Unfortunately it means you will have to sign back into sites you had set up to remember you, but your passwords should remain intact.

Hope this helps,

Joe