Orbx - FTX -EGHR Chichester / Goodwood

banner.jpg

Just published is Kevin Firth's review of Orbx - FTX -EGHR Chichester / Goodwood

There have been many discussions about using these new highly detailed Orbx airfields with the scenery they were designed for, FTX England scenery and integration with Generation X photo scenery.

Kevin has taken the view from both sides. First and most importantly from the perspective of a FTX England scenery user, then as a user of Generation X photoscenery.

We have scored this product twice so you can decide for yourself. Read on.

Thanks for the review, Kevin. Do you have a screenshot of the 15cm airfield base image in December or February? I am curious to know how it blends with the Horizon GenX photoscenery when flying in those two months. I totally agree with you that they are "missing a trick" by not offering "100% photoscenery compatible" versions of the airfields, and that is why I stated elsewhere that they seem to be trying to force everyone to go down the "FTX only" route. A strange business model, considering that they could earn quite a bit of extra money if they provided 100% compatibility for the photoscenery users. I mean, how difficult would that have been?

Yes, I agree. Whilst I am not too bothered about this particular airfield, I am interested in EGKA Shoreham and EGTR Elstree. That's because they have hard runways, and I can get my favourite ride in and out of them (Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang).

A really excellent review, Kevin - Thank You. :thum:

Like you, I've invested in Gen-X so I wasn't particularly bothered about FTX England (or Wales) , but you've certainly given me food for thought. Your separate reviiew from the Gen-X standpoint was a brilliant way of putting the OrbX business model into perspective. Not sure if I'll purchase FTX to improve my virtual arboria - maybe it would remove those pink blossoms from Shawbury?!? - but it is a possibility now that I know the trick.

Thanks again - possibly the best review this year IMHO...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Great job Kevin. :thum: A very enjoyable read. I can tell after reading the review that you went over it with a fine tooth comb. Also kudos on getting the folks at ORBX to add those details that were missing. It's a handsome looking airport and it would be a shame not to be able to land at night. I also hope that there was no untold reason for leaving out the legendary Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader. (learned about him from Kieran's This date in history thread ;) )

I agree that it would be nice for them to integrate their product with other scenery and understand your frustration but at the same time I feel as if it is like buying a Chevy and being upset that the Ford aftermarket parts don't fit it. JMO. That said, It was very nice the way you took the time to help the owners of GenX and explain their options on making the airport work for them.

Again, thanks for a very detailed review. :)     

I think the point about integration with photoscenery is that it could significantly increase the revenue for ORBx from these individual airfields. Many of us do not want to purchase FTX England, so they are missing out on potential sales. That's why I question the motives for such a decision.

Thanks Brett but I'm more a Volkswagen kind of guy myself :P I'd just like to have the same functionality that you get seeing as I'm paying the same price up front if I buy it. Would you still consider the Chevy such a great deal if someone else got alloy wheels, leather interior and a beer fridge for the same cost as your basic model? :P

K

Kevin,

An excellent review, your attention to small details is amazing - loved the spotting of the photographer's reflection in the window of one of the building's texture image.

Have to wonder about the competence or bias of some of the magazine reviewers.

Remember buying a Technics cassette recorder years ago which, apart from its excellent electronic spec', had extremely easy access to its read/write heads for cleaning, a hi-fi magazine reviewer loved the spec', but slated the recorder for difficulty in cleaning the heads - all he had to do was read the manufacturers' manual which explained how to unclip the facia of the cassette holder for access to the heads!

Cheers,

Ray