Bought this today

Thanks Brian. Ex chippie eh? we could use one down here, our last one emigrated to Oz recently. Like you Brian I came to simming by accident, I've always been interested in aviation, I bought FS9 in a charity shop about six years ago, it sat on the shelf for a couple of weeks. As soon as I I loaded it I was hooked. As I said, I fly the classic jet and propliners, hours of configuring FMCs to let them fly the aircraft is not for me. Old school ADF and VOR navigation keeps me alert.

Just had a call from Wingco, supper's ready. Back later.

Best not upset the boss Geoff!

I dare not as she has the Paypal account but she appreciates my habits hobby and is an aviation fan though thankfully not interested in simming. 

I bought this today; a bottle of wine to relax after spending this afternoon in a 15ft deep 2ft wide gully between two 18th c buildings clearing years of debris and freeing a very large toad. 

Cheers,

@Jerry, Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated. All the Saitek panels, yoke, FIPs etc are all USB, whilst the trim wheel which I built for around £6.00UK, is run from an opencockpits card using SIOC. The Parking Brake is also USB and the GPS panel I built is ultimately run from a Leo Bodnar Joystick Board. See here: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=180

I have 2 x 10port powered USB Hubs inside my panel, which manage to accommodate all the Saitek gear. That's about it.

If you have any more questions, I will endeavour to answer them.

Cheers

Brian :thum:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the 16 push button array that I built is run through this card, also from Leo Bodnar. http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=205

@Geoff, I myself have been strictly a low and slow GA fan, having said that, I have been watching many videos recently of guys programming the FMCs in the heavies and I quite fancy having a try at that sort of flying now. Wifey isn't impressed at the thought of a different cockpit being built. But as your WingCo' appreciates your hobby, so does mine. I don't go out drinking, I don't smoke, don't gamble so not much else to spend my readies on. And as she says, at least she knows where I am. ha ha ha

Cheers

Hi Brian, at risk of going off the hardware topic, if you are thinking of heavies I can recommend a few. 

Propliners; DC-6B and Constellation Professional, the Connie is real classy looker. It has a basic AP, fantastic VC and handles well and many variants and liveries. 

For jetliners, depending on your experience, Just Flights' F-Lite range is pretty comprehensive. Of course they are 'lite' with simplified and limited systems but are good for starting on heavies. The 747 200-300 and the DC-82 are my favourites. Both have limited function FMCs. 

Recently I've bought the 146 and 737 Professional, a step up from F-Lite but not as hardcore as as PMDG. As I said I'm not a fan of the FMC and prefer the  older classics.

I'm sure others might have further suggestions.

Family duty calls, back later!

Best,

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that info.

I think I have the 747 somewhere in my hangar. I'm away from home for a couple of weeks but when I get back I'll have fish it out.

I don't think I have ever installed it, so it's still in the wrapper.

Cheers again

Brian

Brian. how could you keep a plane on the shelf for so long? As soon as I get a new plane it's a flip through the manual and then into the pit for a flight! The 747 200-300 is a good one to start on. As I say, the FMC is basic but you get the option of INS navigation, the cockpit and exterior graphics are good too. I hope you enjoy it. 

So, are you off on your holidays? If so have a good one.

Best regards,

Geoff.

Best regards,

Geoff.

No he is not Geoff,

His wifey has to take him back every so often as he is only allowed out on licence..

Bless the NHS..  :whis:

Best regards,

Geoff.

No he is not Geoff,

His wifey has to take him back every so often as he is only allowed out on licence..

Bless the NHS..  :whis:

Could be rehab for flight simmers.

When he says he's going to get into airliners I had a vision of him building a garden shed on hydraulics and a full 747 cockpit inside. :)

We can talk behind his back while he's away. :D

Yes but I still have my iPad with me and can read everything you post.

@James, I've only gone back because my straight jacket started to pinch. :D

@Geoff, I/ We are looking after the grandchildren in North Yorks, whilst our son is on another course (RAF) and his darling wife is at Unit' studying to be a midwife. No flight simming for two weeks is going to severely damage my mental state and I will probably end up being sectioned as James alluded to. :D

I got the 747 as a gift and as I'm in to GA, it sits on the shelf. Maybe one day soon I'll unwrap it.

Cheers

Brian

Oooh! Two weeks and no simming could damage your health. :stars:  But then you'll have the grandchildren to play with. :stars: Grandchildren, something for me to look forward to. <_<

Whatever, hope you have a grand time. :thum:

Best, Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I think you mentioned that you preferred "low and slow",  like a Cessna 172.  Is that a C-172 shown on the center monitor of the pictures of your setup?  I too. prefer low and slow... I just purchased the A2A 172 Trainer and I can't say enough good things about this add-on. I have some IRL time in Cessna 172's and I can tell you it is the closest to the real thing that I have found in twenty plus years of flight simming.  If you don't have it yet, you should get it ... I highly recommend it!!!!!

Your setup would be perfect for this plane.

Regards,

Jerry

Hi,

Hope you are still happy with the 29inch 21:9 monitor, it looks great. As I only have a small den, I don't have room for 3 screens but that looks to be a good solution. I am thinking of getting one next week if you are still pleased with your set-up, I fly P3D, mainly low and slow over photoscenery so that should be fine for me.

Has anyone tried this type of monitor with X-Plane?

Thanks a lot

Phil Murfin

Hi Phil

Welcome to the Hangar :welcomeani:

Yes I am well pleased with my 29'' and have now replaced the 3 screens with the 29'' + one 23'' for gauges etc.,

I have also bought a second one (29'') and tried 2 together for eyefinity, but that was an abysmal failure.

I do not have X-plane so cannot comment, but I will stick some Grand Canyon shots in screenshots for you to see photoscenery

James

• 4 weeks later...

great set up.... i love it.

:hat:

HI Guys,

I'm happy to post a couple of pics of my setup.

So in the hope of getting more of us to post pictures of our setups, here they are. 

Self explanatory.

I've used Saitek stuff from the get go and have been pretty happy with it.

I built my panel after seeing a similar one at my first venture to the FlightSim Show at Weston, a couple of years ago.

This is obviously a photoshopped composite which I did to explain things better.

MySetup.jpg

And here is a shot of my setup, insitu.

MySetup1.jpg

Everything is Saitek except the GPS panel, which I built myself, the Parking Brake, Trim Wheel and the 16 button panel, which I also built. 

Cheers guys and I hope you like it.

Thanks Steve & Ray. The call sign relates to a fictitious airfield I'm in the throes of designing. It seems to be taking an age to do because I keep chopping bits out and adding other bits to it, but it's not far off now. It's going to be called Loch Ness AirField, hence the call sign.

Since I got the three monitors, I now want more and I'm planning to get a projector in the future. Why do we always want more? I suppose it's the nature of flight simming eh?

Cheers

Brian

Thanks Steve & Ray. The call sign relates to a fictitious airfield I'm in the throes of designing. It seems to be taking an age to do because I keep chopping bits out and adding other bits to it, but it's not far off now. It's going to be called Loch Ness AirField, hence the call sign.

Since I got the three monitors, I now want more and I'm planning to get a projector in the future. Why do we always want more? I suppose it's the nature of flight simming eh?

Cheers

Brian

Brian, we never stop wanting, as when we get what we want, we then want something else.. :twocents: