FTX Global - The Conclusion

It is apparent FTX Global is still misunderstood as a product and consequently, misinformed judgments are being made purely on the release of the "base package" and without seeing the richness of the openLC region packs, which are yet to be released.  FTX Global can only be fully appreciated in it's holistic form.  Orbx have started to wet the appetite of the FS world with the release of FTX Global - it's an old marketing ploy - create anticipation, thereby increasing sales.  On first impressions, it is far ahead of any contemporary comparative product.  However, by only fully understanding what it is and what it is not, will you understand the difference between it and any other scenery package, but comparing it to any VFR scenery package is just flawed logic because they are two completely different products.

The FTX Global "base package" does not contain any mesh scenery, so at this stage, don't expect any serious terrain definition unless you have 3rd party mesh scenery installed, which, by the way, FTX Global is completely compatible with.  FTX Global is also compatible with a range of other products.  There are only two stated products it doesn't work with because, like FTX Global, they replace the default FSX textures - FScene4X and GEX.  See here for more details. Note the paragraph on FTX Global limitations.

What's missing at the moment is the openLC region packs.  These packs will add unique textures for the region.  Final pricing has yet to be determined but they won't exceed AU$19.00 per pack.  There are a total of seven openLC region packs covering the world:

- Africa and the Middle East;

- Asia, includes China and Papua New Guinea;

- Asia Major, including Russia;

- Europe, including Iceland, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Ukraine, Baltics and Western Russia;

- North America, including Caribbean, Greenland, and Mexico;

- Oceania; and

- South America.

The openLC addon packs include:
 - unique cityscapes with correct building varieties, much more extended than the FSX limit;
 - unique urban textures with local housing styles;
 - unique rural or agricultural textures with different field/crop sizes, colour and styles;
 - different types of autogen trees and housing more local to an area;
 - almost eliminates repeating texture patterns or 'checkerboard effect';
 - better colour palettes within an FSX region (i.e. red and beige deserts within Africa); and
 - much more. Currently undefined.

See here for more details on the openLC region packs.

FTX Global includes:

- complete replacement of FSX ground textures;
 - custom autogen houses and objects;
 - 3D lights with FTX Day/Night Mode support;
 - selection of custom trees;
 - replaces default FSX so you can run with FTX Central set to EU, NA etc.;
 - can be uninstalled so you can revert to default FSX - Note.  Questions have been raised about this at this time.
 - some custom landclass in sample areas initially (can be disabled if desired);
 - perpetual free updates (textures, landclass tweaks, POI objects, upgraded default airports); and
 - dual installer for FSX and P3D.

FTX Global DOES NOT include:
 - geographical and vector data (roads, rivers, coastlines, elevation mesh);
 - full hand-crafted landclass and polygon landclass;
 - unique ground textures native to the area you're flying in;
 - upgraded airports everywhere;
 - traffic on all major roads (only default FSX traffic); and 
 - extensive custom modelled POIs like power stations, windfarms, stadiums, photoreal areas etc.

And just so we understand what it really looks like, here are some images of FTX Global with mesh scenery and the demo of the Baltics area from the openLC Europe region pack.

ggmd.jpg

zdit.jpg

No misunderstanding here - for areas of the world which I do not want specific photoreal detail for, FTXG with openLC and other payware content such as FTX regions and airports seems like it will be relatively cost effective :)  I'm only going to go for Europe to begin with but I'll prob end up getting everything in time....

Thanks Andrew. :)  I think it looks great myself. At this point I would be happy with anything that gets rid of the water textures on the sides of my mountains. :P

As FTX adds LC and such, will the roads, streams and tracks become more accurate? (I know Global does not include this ;) ) I wonder why this is not mentioned or even considered by them at this point, I would think that it would be a natural inclusion.

FTX Global DOES NOT include:

- geographical and vector data (roads, rivers, coastlines, elevation mesh);

Thanks Andrew. :) I think it looks great myself. At this point I would be happy with anything that gets rid of the water textures on the sides of my mountains. :P

As FTX adds LC and such, will the roads, streams and tracks become more accurate? (I know Global does not include this ;) ) I wonder why this is not mentioned or even considered by them at this point, I would think that it would be a natural inclusion.

Brett,

No. FTX Global and the openLC region packs do not include or improve geographical and vector data, i.e. roads, rivers, etc.

However, the FTX region series, i.e. FTX England, PNW, NZ South Island, do include accurate geographical and vector data. These are continuing to be produced, with Norway South and Ireland (both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland) currently in production. These series will work with FTX Global in what's known as 'Hyprid Mode', which will allow all the regions and FTX Global to be active at once.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew - the rumours about un-installing FTXG - are they correct?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Dai,

I can't confirm or deny that at this stage.  There is a post on the Flight1 SimForums by NickN, who is apparently very close to the development of the GEX series.  FTX Global is now in direct competition with GEX and is not compatible with GEX because both products do the same thing, i.e. replaces default FSX textures.

NickN claims, in a rather long and cynically slanted post, that there is no uninstaller or documented way to uninstall FTX Global, even though FTX Global is meant to have an uninstaller.

Q.  Is NickN correct?

A.  I don't know.

Q.  Could it be an oversight and be corrected with a patch?

A.  Possibly and more than likely.

Q.  Has NickN got an axe to grind?

A.  Most certainly and although claiming all levels of objectivity, it is not evident in his cynical post.

Stay tuned.  :woot:

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. I've read through Nick's post. I don't think I would have been quite so brazen, even if I had a commercial interest in a competing product. However, one or two others feel that the unavailabilty of an un-installer, plus over-writing of some default (original) data, might be a no-go for them. Funny that many OrbX oriented simmers don't regard this as important...

I think the core issue is that of the lclookup.bgl file (hope I got that right!) because it contains data which determines how land class I'd displayed. I may be wrong because I don't now a huge amount about landclass and how it really works, but I was under the impression the allegation is that by altering the core lclookup.bgl to a custom Orbx one, Orbx are somehow 'locking out' other providers of landclass products thereby 'forcing' customers of FTXG to buy only their further add-ons and 'dominating' the market.

On the other hand it is presented as a step forward in scenery that allows us mere users to experience a depth of scenery like never before.

I suspect in some measure that both are true really! Sounds like one for the review team to settle ;)

Cheers k

How's about a joint review, Kevin? Being unfettered by allegiance, we should come up with a fairly unbiased view...

Cheers - Dai. :being-serious-for-once:

Dai,

Unfettered by allegiance.....hmmmm.....I am not sure this is possible.  Even when you try to enlighten the multitudes with statements of simple, basic fact about a product, you can be labelled as being in the camp of that particular publisher (or a competitor for that matter).

Strangely (not), some people want to read something into what's not written and "can't see the forest for the trees.".

But good luck.

Morning all,

I have installed FTXG onto my machine and did not bother to back up the original FSX files, as the reason for buying FTXG was for the improvement.

The only problem to that as far as I can see, is if I was to use the FSX install disk to repair FSX then again FTXG would be wiped out; hence a reinstall of FTXG.

As far as the NickN comments he does at least state they were his own opinions and not Flight1. 

But he seems to be opposed to FTXG as it is the first major challenge to GEX since it was launched. 

I do not think FTX would try to prevent us simmies from adding other products to FTXG with the exception of GEX type products, as they are basically the same product and then would corrupt each other.

So I think it's the hit that GEX is now going to get that has infuriated NickN and the fact that JV has openly stated that you have to remove GEX to install FTXG.

So it is a marketing war of words issue and not a product issue.

Good idea of yours Dai to all put our heads together and come up with a review of both products competing against each other.

I'd be happy to have a look at some part of FTXG as part of a team effort but I must be honest and say I haven't got a huge amount of time and I already have 2 reviews in progress. If someone can come up with a terms of reference note for a group effort I'll approach any section I'm allocated with a sceptical but open mind, but I wasn't planning to buy FTXG for a while yet..... K

I'm in a quandry - so many of you guys run GEX, but I just don't see the attraction of that. To me, FTX looks great (well, better than default), and if it inspires me to fly to Africa or central Asia and EXPLORE places I've never been before, I would love to own it.

I'm a little worried how invasive it might be though - it would be hard to remove all traces of it without just bombing my FSX folder and reinstalling the lot, although I have so little add-ons that aren't free downloads that reinstalling wouldn't actually take too long.

Finally, I'm worried about the cost - all of their products cost a lot for a 17-year-old like me. If the base packet is £100, and all the detailed sections a further £200-400 in total, then to start up flight sim as a hobby, you're looking at a new £1000 computer and maybe up to £500 of add-ons. And I scoff at Warhammer people who pay that sort of money!

But: it looks good. I'm tempted to just leave my scenery as default until FTXG2 comes out in five years or something.

George,

I appreciate the budget side of things, however, the good news is, I don't thing FTX Global is as expensive as you think.  FTX Global sells for AU$100.00, which equates to about £60.00.  Each of the seven openLC regions will sell for no more than £11.50.  My understanding from the Orbx web site is each of these regions will be released progressively.

So, by my reckoning, you wouldn't expect to be spending any more than £140.50 total :thum: and less if you are selective about which regions you buy, which, of course, will be spread over time as they are released.  Personally, I am up for the total package, but that's because I can't help myself - it's all or nothing with me.  :stars: 

Price wise, it is extremely competitive if you were to compare it to VFR scenery products and the area they cover.  The USA MegaScenery Earth series is currently selling for about £30.00 per state, so with 50 odd states, there is £1500.00 alone.

Cheers

Andrew

I'd be happy to have a look at some part of FTXG as part of a team effort but I must be honest and say I haven't got a huge amount of time and I already have 2 reviews in progress. If someone can come up with a terms of reference note for a group effort I'll approach any section I'm allocated with a sceptical but open mind, but I wasn't planning to buy FTXG for a while yet..... K

Hi Kevin,

We already have a FTXG review covered with a 3-way review carried out by Jess, Andrew and Micke so don't worry about this one  ;)

Joe

Price wise, it is extremely competitive if you were to compare it to VFR scenery products and the area they cover. The USA MegaScenery Earth series is currently selling for about £30.00 per state, so with 50 odd states, there is £150.00 alone.

Make that £1500.00, and the difference becomes even more striking!

Andrew - the rumours about un-installing FTXG - are they correct?

Dai,

I can't confirm or deny that at this stage.  There is a post on the Flight1 SimForums by NickN, who is apparently very close to the development of the GEX series.  FTX Global is now in direct competition with GEX and is not compatible with GEX because both products do the same thing, i.e. replaces default FSX textures.

NickN claims, in a rather long and cynically slanted post, that there is no uninstaller or documented way to uninstall FTX Global, even though FTX Global is meant to have an uninstaller.....

Dai,

OK.  Well, I have now installed FTX Global and the install process specifically provides me the opportunity to backup my original Scenery/World/Texture files to a location of my choice should I wish to uninstall the product in future.  On the question of uninstalling and reconstituting these backed up files, I cannot answer, but it logically seems to me on all evidence presented during the installation process that this is possible.

True, there is no evidence of an uninstaller program, however, it is pertinent to highlight here, that no Orbx product has ever come with an uninstaller program, a point oft ignored or conveniently overlooked by naysayers.  It seems to me, the logical process would be to delete it manually and restore your backed up textures into the folder.

But hey, I'm just a simple Aussie who looks at a problem logically and tries to solve it without carrying baggage along with me.  :cool:

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew - I've got PNW and will shortly get Pacific Fjords. PNW is really excellent and I hope to travel 'north, to Alaska' (remember that one?!?).

At present, the OrbX FTX-Central exec allows me to switch back to the FSX default 'scenery', so that the ground textures and library objects and auto-gen reappear in their original form. This is quite important for me as I make missions which require you to know where things are! Subtle differences in WorldPosition can create havoc with the mission's logic - not that my logic is all that good, mind! But it's good to know everything gets re-instated.

I guess that if one buys and installs FTX Global, and you are not interested in returning to the original default scenery, then the question of uninstalling FTX Global doesn't crop up. As to the over-written core file(s) - and I'm not 100% sure about this as I haven't installed FTX Global - that's another matter. Time will tell us what problems installers may have when other non-OrbX scenery add-ons become problemmatic. Again, I'm only theorising, here - let's hope any such problems are insignificant.

And Good Luck with the tripartite review - another First for the Hangar! :thum:

Andrew - I've got PNW and will shortly get Pacific Fjords. PNW is really excellent and I hope to travel 'north, to Alaska' (remember that one?!?).

At present, the OrbX FTX-Central exec allows me to switch back to the FSX default 'scenery', so that the ground textures and library objects and auto-gen reappear in their original form. This is quite important for me as I make missions which require you to know where things are! Subtle differences in WorldPosition can create havoc with the mission's logic - not that my logic is all that good, mind! But it's good to know everything gets re-instated.

I guess that if one buys and installs FTX Global, and you are not interested in returning to the original default scenery, then the question of uninstalling FTX Global doesn't crop up. As to the over-written core file(s) - and I'm not 100% sure about this as I haven't installed FTX Global - that's another matter. Time will tell us what problems installers may have when other non-OrbX scenery add-ons become problemmatic. Again, I'm only theorising, here - let's hope any such problems are insignificant.

And Good Luck with the tripartite review - another First for the Hangar! :thum:

Dai,

As FTX Global and it's openLC region packs, when available, are primarily a texture replacement with full seasonal variety, I wouldn't think this could interfere with Mission building.  Autogen is exactly that, it will appear wherever, at a density based on the slider settings.  FTX Global just provides custom autogen houses and objects to match the region, and there is no specific placement that could create havoc.

This is different to the other FTX region specific packs, such as PNW, Wales, Scotland, etc., where specifically designed objects are accurately placed.  However, you are using these for your Mission building.

As for future non Orbx scenery add-ons, again, if it does not replace global FSX textures, there is no problem.  Most add-on scenery maintains it's own discrete texture folder and the existing Orbx products are a prime example of this.

The easy way to look at FTX Global is, not as add-on scenery, because it isn't, but as a global texture replacement for FSX.  There is the subtle, but very large difference.

So, I would think you could successfully use FTX Global whilst you are doing your Mission building and it will have no impact on the end user of the Mission who doesn't have FTX Global, just like anyone who would use your Mission and has FScene4X or GEX installed.

EDIT.  When I get a chance, I will test your "Whiteout" mission against this logic.

Cheers

Andrew

I would like to thank Andrew for the detailed explanations he has offered here for our benefit. :thum:

I finally broke down, purchased the product and am pleased with the results. It does exactly what it said it would do, replace default textures and autogen and does it in a way more pleasing to the eye. FSX is not so bright green anymore and now has a darker relaxed look, at least to my eye. The trees are more realistic looking in their appearance as is sand, snow and fields. Does it still look repetitive, yes, but they never promised anything more, still it just looks better in my opinion. Everything has more depth to it, especially the fields which are a pleasure to fly over. I had recently flown a few missions in default areas and revisited them after installing FTXG, it really was a better experience scenery wise. I like the way my sim looks at this point but I would not say I am blown away by what they have done, I will say that it is a definite improvement and am glad I made the change.      

Since I went into this knowing exactly what I was getting, this user is very happy with their product. Do I feel that it was worth the 94 bucks I paid for it, not really, I would have been more comfortable paying around 50-60 dollars for what is in the program. I am sure they are trying to recoup the money that it cost them to produce all these textures but, in my mind, a lot of the work was already done from their other regional releases and I should not have to incur what it cost for them to figure out how to get FTX Central to work correctly. That was their bad in the first place. So yes I like their products but also think they charge too much for them because they are in a hurry to get them out so fast. On the other hand, I could just wait a couple of years for the products to all drop in price when sales slow to a crawl. So in a way I am paying for first dibs, it all depends on how you look at it. I would still recommend FTXG to my friends because it is a great improvement over the default textures, it would be up to them if they feel it would be worth the money they charge for it.

JMO :D     

Brett,

Thanks for the comments.  I am really looking forward to the openLC region packs.  At a cost of no more than US$17.50 per region, the addition of region specific textures, with even more region specific autogen buildings and trees and the elimination of the recurring "checkerboard effect", will really be even more impressive.

At the end of the day, cost can be so subjective because of the way individuals assess it differently.  I always try and look for a similar cost analogy and here, a global mesh product, such as FS Global Unltimate, provides such a reasonable analogy.  The positive impact on the FSX flying experience that FS Global Ultimate provides at approximately US$180.00 (for all regions) is comparable with that which will be provided by FTX Global and it's seven openLC region packs at a maximum cost of US$216.50.  Even at $20 - $30 more, I think it still delivers a similar level of positive impact on your FSX flying experience that is worth the outlay.

It then simply becomes a question of personal financing.

Cheers

Andrew