Leg 2: Alderney EGJA to Nantes Atlantique LFRS

This, the second flight of ATWC5 filled me with trepidation. It was to be my first flight in a Around The World Challenge and I felt a bit intimidated by the prospect what with the bos having made a great start.

None of your fancy executive jets for me! Oh no, way beyond my budget. But with no restrictions on the leg I resolved to don the old leather helmet and goggles and brave the elements in my trustee Tiger Moth for this leg, so I flew her down to Alderney and prepared for the great event.

Having arrived I set about my flight planning. The flight was to be VFR and would start by heading out at 2,000ft on a south east bearing until I hit the French coast.  This wouldn't be too much of a dramatic collision as my cruising speed would be about 75 knots From then on I would follow the French coast south until I reached the town of Granville. From Granville I would follow the D973 South east to Avranches, easy visual navigation as the road is as strait as a ruler. Averanches is the first town I would meet following that road, and from then it would be a case of following the N175 motorway and the that skirts the town to the north and west and then the A84/E3 following it first south and then south west to Rennes. From Rennes Staying with the E3 and the N137 southward I would arrive safely at Nantes.

ATWC_Leg2_1.jpg

If I was unsure of my way at any point, I could always drop down and have a peek at the odd motorway sign, though at my speed I would have to watch out for the faster traffic in the outside lane. 

Planning over I filed my plan and waited for Joe to arrive.  I saw him come in and park up the other end of the airfield from me, so I strolled over and picked up the Baton. It had been raining and the walk made my boots muddy so there was no invite into the plush interior of the sleek craft that had bought the Baton thus far, although I did think I saw the edge of a cocktail bar.  Oh how the other half live. Note to self: I must start doing the lottery again!

ATWC_Leg2_2.jpg

My wife was to fly with me in the copilot seat for this trip and when I got back to the aircraft she had already settled herself in the front cockpit so I climbed in and we were ready to go.

ATWC_Leg2_3.jpg

The weather was reasonable for a VFR, flight with a small chance of a rain shower or two, but nothing to get concerned about.  We started her up, went through our checks, obtained taxi permission, and headed out to the runway.

ATWC_Leg2_4.jpg

As you can see from the cockpit, no frills here just map, compass, basic instrumentation and the mark one eyeball. 

ATWC_Leg2_5.jpg

On arrival at the holding point we had a bit of a pause while someone else cleared the runway, and then it was our turn.......

ATWC_Leg2_6.jpg

Alderney,s holding point is mid way down the runway, so we taxied down the runway and turned at the end.  Final checks and the securing of the wife's Tea mug and we were away.

ATWC_Leg2_7.jpg

Thirty minuets after receiving the Baton we were airborne.

ATWC_Leg2_8.jpg  

I feel uneasy about flying over the sea in this old kite, so I burned some fuel and went for the french coast at 110 knots. Ten minutes into the flight and we were with in gliding distance. To conserve fuel, I then throttled back to a more sedate cruising speed of 75 knots.

ATWC_Leg2_9.jpg

So, part one of the plan was done, next to follow the French coast to Grandville. Easy navigation this part: Simply keep the altitude to 2000ft and the sea to the right of the wife's bonce and the land to the left until......

ATWC_Leg2_10.jpg

The town of Granville comes into sight, which it did 55 minutes into our journey.  Now to find the D973 heading south east out of town and distinctive because of it being so straight. It wouldn't surprise me if it was an old Roman road.

ATWC_Leg2_11.jpg

Oh look! there it is stretching out like a ruler.  Follow that road!

ATWC_Leg2_12.jpg

To Averanches, where we must look for the N175 motorway south and away from the sea.

ATWC_Leg2_13.jpg

Easy enough to pick up, a quick swoop down to look at the signs ;) ... and we can confirm that we are on our course.  One hour and ten minutes into out flight.

ATWC_Leg2_14.jpg

Following the motorway is easy, the clouds are darkening though, lets hope they don't close in. I don't fancy getting wet as its cold enough already, and I don't want to loose site of that road.

ATWC_Leg2_15.jpg

With Rennes below us, the rain has held off, and we are looking for another stretch of motorway to take us south to Nantes.  It should be easy to spot as it starts near LFRN, Rennes-Saint-Jacques Airport. 

ATWC_Leg2_16.jpg

There is LFRN, and we have the motorway to Nantes below us, So we are still on track and one hour fifty minutes into our flight.

ATWC_Leg2_17.jpg

Having followed the motorway for thirty five minutes we arrive at Nantes. The airfield is easy to spot, if you look carefully you can see it's light just above and to the right of the over wing fuel tank.

ATWC_Leg2_18.jpg

Cleared to land, we make our approach...

ATWC_Leg2_19.jpg

Touch down safely.....

ATWC_Leg2_20.jpg

And taxi to the parking.  No sign of Robb Scott yet.

ATWC_Leg2_21.jpg

Parked up and waiting for Rob, total leg time: Three hours fifteen minutes. The weather has got better, what do we do now?  I bet we cant get a decent cup of tea here.

Doesn't even have to be a good cuppa tea, as long as it's hot. :D  

Great navigation and flight planning on your part, nothing like IFR in a Tiger Moth. Sweet paint job too! :thum:  Enjoyed the ride along, very good posting, nice pic's and all that nervousness for naught. :) As a newbie myself this year, I hope to at least come close to the standard you have set. 

classic.png

John, what a debut! I cannot believe you have not done this before!

A really good action-packed post, I loved the edit on the first (We look like twins!) and the livery on the Tiger Moth.

You have really set the bar high John and it really looked like you enjoyed the flight, well done.

Looking forward to seeing your next flight.

Cheers,

Joe

Great PIREP John, flown and told like a seasoned ATWC veteran.

Adding the map was a nice touch, I must try to remember that for my first leg this time round, and the very thematic livery was a treat.

Can't wait to see more from you in Section 2.

A big  :thum: from me....

Thanks Guys!  I enjoyed my first dip into ATWC5 a great deal.  :thum:  The story telling is one of the best bits!  :D 

I have some plans for by next leg in the next section I get a place in. Expect something very different!  :secret: 

John,

Loved the flight planning...loved the start of the story...then saw the paint job on the D.H.82 :wow: ...and what else can I say about the rest of the flight and story...nothing short of excellent.  :woot:

Now, you have an additional challenge...surpass your efforts with your next PIREP.  :thum:

Cheers

Andrew

Great report John! Like the rest I can't believe this is your first entry here.

Only Rob now will have quite a job on his hand calming down Sharon. Bringing the wife? Ouch, that's a first for Sharon - being dumped for the wife.

That must be quite some lady! :thum: