a few questions for the experts and a little about me

Hi everyone

Just joined after someone  on another forum recommended this forum as  very friendly and knowledgeable.

I am 63 and forcibly retired after a serious car crash 21 yrs ago. I love simming, and only discovered the joys of simming 1 year ago  but because of my lack of coordination after my accident  I have to  use auto flight (ap) most of the time , I can just about manage a take-off to 1000ft and then it has  to be a/p. Sure I would to fly VOR to VOR but I have to be realistic. The more modern  the aircraft and navigational systems are the better for me.

Questions:

1. About 1 hour into a flight  why do I get a message saying “FSX has stopped responding” and giving me a choice to wait for FSX to respond, in 100% of the times with great frustration I have to x out.
  2. How many PMDG members do we have on here as that’s what I fly

Many thanks

Patrick

Hello Patrick and welcome to the mayhem Hangar..  :welcomeani:

Good to have you with us and the answer to your second question is yes there are a few, pile, many PMDGer's on here including me.

The answer to your first question can be a range of culprits, but one I suspect could be the dreaded UIAutomationCore.dll

linc for download:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/mik2mlqdz1w/UIAutomationCore.zip

when you have unzipped it, place it into the FSX root directory (FXS Folder). 

Then try it out, if you still run out then get back on the forum and we will help you.

James

:hat:  :pilotic:

Hi Patrick,

I'm so pleased you are now posting so an official welcome from me!

As for the unresponsive messages, especially when using PMDG, it may be the curse of the FSX flight simmer, the out of memory error.

Much has been written out this but for sure when running with high detail settings the memory gets eaten up with fancy external displays.

If you know your PC specification please could you post it here?  It may help someone in suggesting what to do.

Regards,

Joe

Hi, and welcome, james's suggestion is a sound one, however it can be caused by other things, as Joe suggested put your full p.c. spec as we have in your signature then we can start to get things better. Rest assured we will cure your problem with FSX.

Welcome buddy! Im 29 so one of the younger ones here! We all have flight simming in common so age is but a number :)

PMDG are extremely detailed and need a hell of a lot of memory to run smoothly. If you have a good system then it may be some tweaking to the config and settings to get it going.

As people have suggested post your system spec but also it may be worth posting exactly what pmdg products you are trying to fly.

Good luck and welcome

Jim

Hi Patrick. I told you they were a friendly if a little mad bunch here and I'm sure they will be happy to help. I only joined a few weeks ago myself and they haven't banned me yet made me feel right at home.

I think you'll enjoy yourself here. Welcome to the pleasuredome.

Best Wishes,

Geoff

thanks to everyone for your kind replies . I am busy right now but hopefully  very shortly will put intro practice  will post on how I get on

FAO Hifly  Geoff. you were right they are friendly

FAO Joe, ignore last PM as you can see, I figured it out

Hi again Patrick. In your picture above you have a passing resemblance to Murray Walker, (ex F1 commentator). Have you been told this before?

I've been told I look like the love child of a cross between Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Lou Reed and Rowan Atkinson. That's why I haven't posted my picture here.

Hi Patrick, Welcome to the madhouse, we are all a pretty friendly bunch on here, (if we're not then Matron has a big stick ,a whip and handcuffs! :wacko2: ) I'm not quite as old as some,(53) but I too have health issues. I too find AP a great help at times.( I fell asleep one afternoon and woke up 2 hours later to find my little HS748 heading out across the Atlantic instead of landing at Newquay! OOPS)

My sim also runs out of memory occasionally , (those who know about my sim can probably guess why!)the whole thing just stops and get a little message reading Microsoft flightsim FS9 has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for any inconvenience! Inconvenience indeed, especially when I,m in a B747 on short finals for Kai Tak!.

Anyway we look forward to seeing your posts in due course.  :thum:

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the most informative FS forums (if you can stand the occasional madness).

I do fly most PMDG planes but not the latest 777, I let that one mature for a little longer.

The unresponsiveness can be a lot of things - but with PMDG planes and high detail terrain add-ons out of memory is a possible culprit.

Enjoy your stay

Kasper

Hi, Patrick, and welcome!

I fly PMDG exclusively (in spite of considerable advice from my fellow inmates here telling me to try something called a Dash-8 Q400 with spinny things on the wings) and have done for many years, so you are by no means alone!   :)

I did notice in your sig that you are running Windoze 8 (32 or 64 bit, I wonder?), however PMDG's enthusiasm for that platform is still tepid, to say the least. In their Introduction manual for the 777 it says, inter alia:

"We recognize that some customers may wish to install a PMDG product on the Win8 platform, but please understand that we have not tested any products for installation or operational compatibility and as such will guarantee neither. We anticipate re-evaluating the Windows 8 platform during 4Q13 after the release of Windows 8.1 and we recommend that Windows 8 users check back with us at that time."

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you around.    ^_^

Cheers,

Bruce

(a.k.a. brian747 — it's a long story.....)

Hi Patrick,

Add a signature by going to your "My profile" which is located in the down arrow menu below your forum name, then "Edit my profile",  and amending the signature section.

There is a help system you can look at too ..

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=2

Cheers,

Joe

for those who have asked my system is w864 bit.

Hi Bruce/Brian

I too fly PMDG exclusive as I have said I cannot fly manually (due to my disability) and so I get great enjoyment out of trying to master a complex aircraft like the PMDG.

I got the 737NGX and had only just learnt to fly it (1 day) when the 777 came out. I bought that, only to learn afterwards that PMDG do not offer w8 support. Its the old adage "buyer beware"

I am now busy trying to master it, what a wonderful plane

I got the 737NGX and had only just learnt to fly it (1 day) when the 777 came out. I bought that, only to learn afterwards that PMDG do not offer w8 support. Its the old adage "buyer beware"

I am now busy trying to master it, what a wonderful plane

PMDG will support the 777 in widows 8, but only after version windows 8.1 is released.

I don't think it will be too long as Microsoft dropped a clanger with 8.  It's the tablet style of interface that is no liked, plus many other drawbacks.

The greed factor had set in at MS to jump on the rip off the youngster's bandwagon, but has backfired.

The business community has hit back at MS and that has cost the project director his job at MS.

The new version should take us back to proper windows.