Super Cub lands on mountain at 11,000 ft - video

Wow! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadnt seen it!

I once saw a air ambulance chopper land at Kehlsteinhaus (The Eagles Nest near Berchtesgaden). It was a bit windy and he landed on a ridge top path which I through was a good bit of flying.  Nowhere as good as that though.

It helps when the wind is with you(well, against you really) . :D Pretty cool to see it in real life. :cool:

I have actually practiced those types of landings, lots of fun in a sim. :) Downright scary in a RW setting. :yikes:

It helps when the wind is with you(well, against you really) . :D Pretty cool to see it in real life. :cool:

I have actually practiced those types of landings, lots of fun in a sim. :) Downright scary in a RW setting. :yikes:

May the wind always be with you Brett. :whis:  BTW I have PM'd you.

I have owned and flown a similar aircraft (no, not the one in the video) without the tundra tires. Short field capability is quite impressive. This would have to have been a zero wind condition. Far too risky to attempt something like this in any sort wind at all, especially on a ridge. 

Hats off to the pilot. Not something I think I would ever attempt.

I don't know about that March, a slight headwind helps set you down in a shorter length, in the sim anyway, it lessens you actual ground speed.

BTW I have PM'd you.

? You have. :huh:

Any wind over a ridge can set you down upside down. A very very dangerous place to get anywhere near with an aircraft. Almost Darwinian.

Remember the old adage: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots.

Agrees with March.

While flying slope RC gliders on ridges for years it was hard to not notice the propensity for a plane do be shoved bodily into the ground if it got behind the ridge...down drafts and the wind's rotary action over ridges are killers.

That vid made my arse hurt it was clamped so tight in fear...it looked to me like he took way to long to put wheels on ground and I expected him to pitch over the edge at the last (and then when he took off that way...omg!), but then It is hard to judge the slope from the vid, he must have been flying Upslope just before landing i bet to stop as quick  as he did.