Leg 40 - Ayres Rock (YAYE) to Alice Springs (YBAS)

The message from the controller was received as I was resting up in the Maldives with the PML (Present Mrs Lawford). It read… Get your ass down to Australia I need you to fill in for James… So I gathered up my donkey and headed for Male International. 

I had no idea of the route but I had to bring plenty of water, shorts and thongs. (footware). I was taken to my destination overnight via a short stop in Darwin.

My first indication of where I was came from a map pinned on the flying club wall. Looking closely I was in the middle of nowhere, roughly midway between the giant rats, baby killer dingos and the back packer murderers!

urhere.png~original

I could see a rather strange man lurking by the bar, as he heard me approach he greeted me with a hearty "G'day boss". We immediately exchanged the baton and John handed me a brown envelope. I thought he was returning the photographs he had been blackmailing me about, but no, in the envelope was my filed flight plan and detailed route. It was not direct as I had hoped, but the only aircraft available was a military Grumman Seven S2F-3 Tracker and I had to go on tour to remind the natives the military was alive and kicking.

a.jpg~original

So a 180 mile flight turned out to be nearly 300.

I wanted to make the most of the cooler temperature so set off at sparrow fart. As I moved the throttles forward I could see the flickering lights of Yulara and the haunting hulk of rock that is Uluru in the distance.

1.jpg~original

There’s not a lot of radio nav available out here, the only NDB's are at Alice and we were out of range, I tuned into the VOR but reception was flaky, we set of on a heading of 040.

2.jpg~original

Luckily we had a GPS on board and it’s telling Kings Creek Station is 60nm away. After 15 minutes we were over Lake Amadeus, a huge Salt Lake that is normally arid.

3.jpg~original

I had one of those moments pushing buttons that I really shouldn’t. A loud whirring and creaking and a sudden drop of speed occurred!

4.jpg~original

Now the sun was higher than the horizon and an eerie haze filled the sky as the ground warmed up. We turned onto base. I’m sure the locals can hear my engines by now.

5.jpg~original

The low sun was proving to be an annoyance, but we made it in ok.

6.jpg~original

Whoops, another button I shouldn’t have pushed, it sure scared the birds from the trees as the great iron eagle taxied in.

7.jpg~original

We decided to take a comfort break as there was no dunny on board.

8.jpg~original

I asked this chap to look after the baton whist I was indisposed, he had told me the locals were thieving b…….s! A crate of grog secured the deal. He was only a tiny fella as you can see.

8a.jpg~original

On my return, "Burnum" was still there but the price had gone up! I got back into the Tracker and fired her up.

9.jpg~original

It was only a short hop to Areyonga, we head off, pretty much on the same course.

10.jpg~original

Our journey took us over the Watarrka National Park

11.jpg~original

Near the northern edge of the park was our waypoint...

12.jpg~original

... Another dirt track.

13.jpg~original

The guys from the RFDS were here and an ambulance present, I guess there had been a medical emergency.

14.jpg~original

I keep out of their way and head off immediately. The runway was a pretty rough affair and these seats are not comfortable.

15.jpg~original

As we head out over the town it looks like an oasis in the desert.

16.jpg~original

We headed out and changed to a more westerly course.

17.jpg~original

As time was short we managed to pick someone up on the radio and advised we weren’t stopping and just going to perform a flypast.

18.jpg~original

19.jpg~original

Time to turn back towards the east, we will definitely need to stop to pick up some fuel.

20.jpg~original

We head out over another salt lake, Lake Lewis, an important lake as it full for around 6 months each year so is a source of vegetation and food for cattle.

21.jpg~original

Homing in on Tilmouth Well .

22.jpg~original

Flying low to scatter the animals and back-packers (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

23.jpg~original

Rolling out and heading for the fuel.

24.jpg~original

Tilmouth Well is aka “The oasis on the Tanmai”

25.jpg~original

Whilst the guys are doing a quick service, I take a dip in the pool.

26.jpg~original

Refreshed after a long drink and a bite to eat I fire up the twin Wright nine cylinder radial engines with the usual commotion!

27.jpg~original

This is our last and longest leg, I would be more than happy to spend a day here but hopefully Kasper will be at Alice already.

28.jpg~original

We could follow the Tenami Road all the way to Alice but it does meander so I chose the direct route.

28a.jpg~original

The ADF was tuned to the Simpsons Gap NDB which is smack bang on the approach path for rway 12. As the needle swung we set our course, not far now.

29.jpg~original

We have ILS too, just tuning final.

30.jpg~original

Short final and we have the luxury of 2439 metres of tarmac ahead.

31.jpg~original

A sigh of relief at our journey’s end.

32.jpg~original

We taxi to our gate, there are some Navy guys here to take the Tracker back.

33.jpg~original

My next aircraft awaits, this time, I’ll be the passenger!

34.jpg~original

So here we are, safely at Alice Springs, I get set up in the bar until Kasper arrives!

I hope you enjoyed my flight(s) as much as I did.

Cheers,
Joe

Scenery: Orbx Australia SP4 and OZx 3.4 airstrips.
Weather by ASN, textures by REX4
Flight planning courtesty of Plan-G
Aircraft: Milton Shupe's Grumman "Seven" for FSX - NATIVE S2F-3 (Available from flightim.com search for soh_g7_s2f3x.zip)

A great PIREP Joe  :thum:

I could see a rather strange man lurking by the bar, .....

Hrumfff... I resemble that remark!! :th_blush:   I like to think I'm a little eccentric perhaps.  We should all celebrate our foibles, at least that is what they tell me at the sanatorium . jacket.jpg

Great PIREP Boss..

That Oasis at Tilmouth Well looks like a nice place to retire at, think the credit card will cover the cost for it  ;)

Please be advised that I'm out travelling at the moment, so the Departure Board will not be updated until monday morning at the earliest.. But Kasper, don't let that stop you from continuing.

Classic ATWC. :thum:

Humor, great looking strips along with the flight plan, unique aircraft and a clean PIREP. I bow to the master. (love the map too, ha)

I was jealous that you had trees on your leg. :D

Great PIREP Joe!

Lowering the radar dome on the Shackleton doesn't have that much of an effect on speed, unlike yours!

Thanks Chuck, that was a bit of artistic licence on my part!  ;)