leg 44 - Madang Airport (AYMD) to Timika (WABP)

ATWC 44

It was incredibly late when I arrived at Madang airport. Having been enjoying a quiet holiday in Australia, visiting my fellow mod and friend Andrew Godden, I got a call early a few days before. The call was from Mickael at challenge control asking if I could pick up an extra leg due to pilot shortage. Leg 44 had been delayed a week as it was. I told Mickael I'd do it, although my choice of aircraft was limited to say the least. On previous legs, I've been lucky to have a few friends lend me an aircraft. British airways let me 'borrow' Edgar the T7 and mount cook kindly donated me a twin otter. In Australia though, Neither Qantas or Virgin seemed keen, so I was left to scratch my head to find something. As luck would have it, and after a bottle or two of Andrew's special reserve wine from his vast cellar, we came up with an idea. The Lanceair Legacy was born down in Australia, and as luck would have it, a uk based pilot had just purchased a second hand model from an American, who'd flown it down from Texas, only to sell the old girl on. We chatted for awhile and settled on a deal. In return for the loan of the lanceair, I'd fly the aircraft back to the uk after leg 44 was complete. So early two days ago, I shook Andrews hand and began the flight to Madang with to the lanceair. 

It had gone 3 am when I landed, so I headed for the hotel to sleep it off. Apparently I was very tired. I got back to the airport 12 hours later for an late afternoon departure.  The weather really wasn't the best though. Rain covered the airport. But the forecast was good ahead of me, and since this is a scenic flight, I decided to plan my route to enjoy the scenery. Rather than just flying to Timika, I thought it would be nice to enjoy the mountains a little so, I popped in 'touch and goes' at  Mount Hagen (AYMH) and a small field called Kandep (KDP).    

fsx2014-04-1615-41-33-71_zpsc5221c0a.jpg

So at just after 16.30 local time, I lifted off into the grey skies from runway 25.

fsx2014-04-1615-47-14-65_zpsebc1d97e.jpgMadang sits right next to a beautiful coast line, so I circled the airport just to get a look at the beautiful tropical shoreline.

fsx2014-04-1615-49-45-66_zps801d7281.jpg

With the sea behind me thought, I pushed on through the rain and the clouds for the mountains. My initial climb took me to 8000ft, but the mountains loomed large in the distance, so I climbed higher to 10000ft. The views were stunning, at least once the cloud cover sorted itself.

fsx2014-04-1616-02-09-38_zps9a115f8e.jpg

Despite the haze, the mountains looked like a vast unexplored wilderness, probably because most of it is a vast unexplored wilderness.

fsx2014-04-1616-06-12-66_zps43d3d52c.jpg

Soon though, I passed over a ridge and found a vast valley below and the first touch and go airport. I called ahead for instructions and was told to make left traffic for a touch and go on runway 12. This wasn't a problem, and all went well.

fsx2014-04-1616-15-47-22_zps73b18ea3.jpg

Climbing back out of the valley though wasn't so easy. 10000ft wasn't going to cut it this time, and I found myself dodging ridges and peaks as I sort to climb up to 12000ft. 

fsx2014-04-1616-21-28-55_zpsaa5d4def.jpg

A 49nm leg stood between me and the next airfield, but the little lanceair managed well, averaging a gs of 220kts.

fsx2014-04-1616-24-27-43_zps45ecb70c.jpg

This was good, but as I crossed another ridge to spot the airfield, I found that there was no hope of a 'touch and go'. This was to be a full stop. The airfield was in a deep cut in the side of a mountain, with the end sealed off.

fsx2014-04-1616-38-47-44_zps208fc9e6.jpg

Landing was fine but at over 7000ft asl, takeoff would be slow and terrifying. Having rolled to the end, I turned and opened the throttle.

fsx2014-04-1616-41-02-47_zpsfb0c4f91.jpg

This time the lanceair struggled. The speed seemed to stick obstinately at 60kts. It took an age to hit 80kts, all the while the runway was getting shorter. Finally, more out of desperation than good sense, impelled back and the lanceair fought its way into the sky. The climb was shallow but we made it up climbing to 12000ft and settling into the cruise to our destination. It's a 400nm leg to Timika.

fsx2014-04-1616-44-49-28_zpse89acb5b.jpg

fsx2014-04-1617-04-46-60_zps867db392.jpg

fsx2014-04-1617-56-39-47_zpsad493394.jpg

Checking ahead, the weather isn't looking so good for arrival. Although visibility was unlimited, the sky was overcast at 7600ft and rain was falling. In the dark, and with a visual only approach, things were going to get interesting. I didn't know how interesting until i was 20nm out though. Descending from 12000ft, there was nothing to see. This wasn't because of the cloud cover. Fortunately, the overcast conditions had lifted before I arrived, but below was blacker than black. It wasn't until I was 12nm out I caught sight of the runway

fsx2014-04-1618-28-45-42_zps1dc95f8d.jpg

. A visual only approach wasn't going to cut it. ATC cleared me to use runway 12, and a quick flick through the charts found a VORDME Approach to runway 12. I'll readily admit that I seldom use this type of approach, but given the lack of any other landmark I could see, I'd have to grin and bare it. Gripping the chart, I reached the airfiled high but ready for the approach. Turning onto 276 degrees I headed out from the VOR for 8nm before turning back onto a heading of 117. Beads of sweat were starting to form but the runway wandered into sight as expected. I was slightly right of the field, but adjustments here and there helped me get inline. It wasn't until 1/2 a mile before the threshold I could begin to see the landing lights pick out the trees below. Until then, I was unaware there was anything there.

fsx2014-04-1618-39-13-01_zps5c7cfe60.jpg

As the main gear touched down, I finally exhaled and taxied in. Tired, nerves shredded and in need of a stiff drink, I met up with Kasper to hand over the baton. He was incredibly glad to see me, having been stuck here for the last week. We headed off for some food, leaving the Lanceair a chance to cool off and gently sleep. 

fsx2014-04-1618-41-44-24_zps7983fc65.jpg

Great PIREP Jess, and thanks for sorting this leg out for us!

I shall have to revisit this one though. I fear my iPhone doesn't do you screenshots justice ;)

Now tell me, that special reserve wine Andrew offered up, did you have to drink it straight out of the bag with a straw, or was he kind enough to pour it into a glass for you ;)