Radar Contact Airline

I have just splashed out on RC.

I have been looking through the Airline/company name in the general tab and cant find an entry for the RAF.

Am i going blind, or is it missing?  I have found the Royal Navy and loads of other air forces, but not the RAF.

I have also looked for "Joker" the standard RAF call sign but it isn't there.

Someone tell me that I have missed it somewhere, or how I can add it to rectify a major oversight!

Hi John, I don't have RC but was browsing around for you. Would it be listed in either in the rcv4scriptspilotscripts directory(I think .wav files) or the  c4.csv file(the airline dropdown list) in the RC data folder.

But if is missing I am not sure if it could be added because you would have to create the .wav file, right?

@ brett.  I think you are right in thinking that you need a wave file for the actual sound, but poking around in the guts there seem to be some scripts involved as well and I don't know how they work

I can't believe they left the RAF callsign out. :huh:

You could change the airline list but changing the .wav files would be tough. I found this snippet during my searches if you feel like changing it for your own use. You could even synthesize them if you really wanted it. I have some decent voices if you want to go that way, I would be happy to help.

"There is no ******** wave file in the RC wav libraries. There is a section on the RC43 manual about setting this up.

The problem you would face is however in each controller and pilot .wav library you voice would stand out as not matched with the rest of the phrases which vary in accent by region.

RC voices are all human recordings and not synthesized. for the most realistic reproduction. If you go to the voices tab in RC and look at the pilots\copilots tabs and the controllers tab, that would show you the number of voice libraries you would have to add that .wav to. As you click on each voice it will show you the country flag of each voice indicating the accent used.

Changing the script and airline data files is just text editing. It is creating all of the .wav files that is the problem."

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on how you generate the flight plan for use in RC.

There's no function for it built in to RC itself, but if you build your flight plan from FS Commander or an other 3rd party flight planner there are sometimes a function to generate a file compatible with the PMDG FMC. I'm certain FS Commander have that feature, and I think Pro Flight Planner X have it too.

thank you mate, I do use FS Commander to build my flight plan, afterwards it gives me an option to save as and it lists PMDG as well as Radar Contact but the options  to save are like a minefield (path)

I'm surprised if PMDG, being the user of the odd flight plan file format, wouldn't provide the capability for converting standard FS flight plaes into their format, even though there might be additional fields of data needed by their FMC to be edited in. I don't own any PMDG aircraft (and won't until they get on the P3D bus) so don't know for sure.

John

Try this one.. 

http://www.fsxtools.de/flp.php

It's not from PMDG, and I'm not sure it works for the NGX. The tutorial video found below uses the PMDG 747 for the demonstration though, and I'd be surprised if the file-format differs between the two...

http://virtualpilot3d.co.uk/convert-ms-fsx-flightplans-to-pmdg-fmc-compatible-ones/

and here's another one for use on your local computer rather than a web-based application.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18901/fsx-plan-to-route-utility-v10/

EDIT: But considering that you use FS Commander your best bet should be to use that..

From what I remember all you need to do is to specify the folder for your FSX installation in the "Paths" Tab in the Save dialog. Put this in the Folder cell on the row starting with Flight Simulator X, and then tick the PMDG-box on the "Save"-tab, and the file should be saved in the correct folder for use in the NGX. Also, I think the file-name needs to be in the format "DEPICAO""DESTICAO" without spaces.. so a flight plan from London Heathrow to Stockholm Arlanda should be named EGLLESSA

I'm surprised if PMDG, being the user of the odd flight plan file format, wouldn't provide the capability for converting standard FS flight planes into their format, even though there might be additional fields of data needed by their FMC to be edited in. I don't own any PMDG aircraft (and won't until they get on the P3D bus) so don't know for sure.

John

thanks John in fact you were my next port of call as I had just read your review of RC written ages ago but unfortunately no mention of FP. I will ask the question over in the RC and PMDG forums on AVSIM

and here's another one for use on your local computer rather than a web-based application.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18901/fsx-plan-to-route-utility-v10/

EDIT: But considering that you use FS Commander your best bet should be to use that..

From what I remember all you need to do is to specify the folder for your FSX installation in the "Paths" Tab in the Save dialog. Put this in the Folder cell on the row starting with Flight Simulator X, and then tick the PMDG-box on the "Save"-tab, and the file should be saved in the correct folder for use in the NGX. Also, I think the file-name needs to be in the format "DEPICAO""DESTICAO" without spaces.. so a flight plan from London Heathrow to Stockholm Arlanda should be named EGLLESSA

Thanks Stu will get back to you

From what I remember all you need to do is to specify the folder for your FSX installation in the "Paths" Tab in the Save dialog. Put this in the Folder cell on the row starting with Flight Simulator X, and then tick the PMDG-box on the "Save"-tab, and the file should be saved in the correct folder for use in the NGX. Also, I think the file-name needs to be in the format "DEPICAO""DESTICAO" without spaces.. so a flight plan from London Heathrow to Stockholm Arlanda should be named ETT

thank you FS Commander worked for me, problem solved