Yet another slick production from the team at Carenado.

Nice review Andrew, thanks.

I do like the compact, easy to navigate cockpit layout but a little concerned about the 'hard to find' click spots on some of the panels.

It won't stop me adding it to my hangar once I've been type rated on the Malibu. ;)

Cheers

Just read your review Andrew and agree with all you say.  :thumbsup:

Oh dear, I am in love AGAIN..  :wub:

"Not an attractive aircraft by any stretch of the imagination,..."

I have to disagree with this (subjective opinion of course)...but maybe I have a stretchier imagination :P :P

I think this bird looks functional, badass, and gorgeous. I'd compare it to how I think condors and vultures are magnificent looking (and thus attractive) birds despite not looking cuddly and cute. :D

Like appreciating the "beauty" of a well crafted tool.

Or a very well crafted review...kudos Andrew on another.

I´m getting tired of reading reviews and I read less now. There are to many 9 - 10 point reviews out there and that is far from what I think is correct. If all products get 9 - 10 points then it doesnt make sense anymore.

I said exactly the same thing a long time ago about PC games in general. Far too many mediocre FPS games were getting scores of 85% or more, when they should have been getting no more than 60.

I dont have this Aircraft, so I have no direct opinions on it, but since its on my christmas wishlist, I will say a few words.

Attractive is a very personal thing. Compared to the other Carenado aircraft in the review, this one is the most attractive in my eyes. It looks very potent and "swiss watch quality". 

I´m getting tired of reading reviews and I read less now. There are to many 9 - 10 point reviews out there and that is far from what I think is correct. If all products get 9 - 10 points then it doesnt make sense anymore. I have earlier on bought aircraft based on reviews and later been very disapointed.

I´m not a big Carenado fan... (oh - oh many raised eyebrows) To many times have I bought a dull airfile with flashy textures. And to many times have I been sitting with Photoshop editing these extremely annoying inside plexi that Carenado sometimes use. Green and blue tint makes the outside world look very sad . And the worst is that even after clearing and desaturating the plexi as much as you can, there´s always some effect left in the modeling and this you cant touch.

I´ve also had huge framerate problems with some of their aircraft. With planes like the FS9 Gran Caravan and the ones with 3D gauges dropping framerates  30 - 50% and making them useless unless you accept to have very low scenery settings when using these planes.  So I´m being very carefull with buying their products. IMHO they are focusing to much on the looks and not enough on the funcionality. The guys from the company are extremely nice and helpfull and when I had problems with the C208, they offered me another plane for free. I should just show them the ticket from where I bought it.  

So two final questions before finally putting this one on the christmas list:  Does it have clear windows and how is its impact on framerates?

Anders

Well I can assure you of those 2 questions.  FPS no problems, but again that can be down to your system machine.  I average between 20 and 30FPS, but I am locked to 30fps.

You have a toggle controller for alternating the windshield glass from tinted to clear, so no problem there.

PS I must add Anders, is that I also use Steve's fixer for DX10.

Anders, as you use P3Dv2 and DX11 there's no need to worry about DX10. :dance3:

Regarding our reviews, we always add the reviewer's system specifications to the review, so our reviewers findings are in reference to that. Generally our machine specifications are high to take full advantage of the latest technologies used by the developer. 

Scores of 9+ are not obligatory, our reviewers have the last say on how the product performed for them. Everyone should take note of our review disclaimer, two people with the same machine may give a different opinion and our members as owners of the product already may not agree with our findings according to them. That is why we always start a forum post so that the product may be discussed.   :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Carenado model a reasonably accurate representation and functioning of any MFD or GPS they put in their aircraft.  In this case, the Avidyne MFD in the PC-12 is based on the Avidyne EX600 and is modeled to this level, and, as such, the moving map display has a terrain display capability and displays airport and radio NAVAID symbology (at appropraite zoom levels).  In respect of the moving map display, its functions replicate and / or are similar to some of the functions of the Garmin GNS 530 GPS unit.

To supplement Andrews answer above Chris, here are some shots of the functions:

Full cockpit showing the NDB working also on the HSI, the HSI can also be changed to an arc.  Be aware I am using the Reality GNS530 on the top GPS:

c7FT.jpg

weather radar and arc on HSI:

5J68T.jpg

Nearest:

KDBc7.jpg

Traffic awareness with labels:

8mzJ7.jpg

Traffic arc labels off, you can also add the weather radar to the traffic view:

Jc6HL.jpg

Traffic and terrain:

pYWTl.jpg

Hope that helps you..

PS. I much prefer this cockpit layout compared to the Mustang G1000, I find the G1000 like looking at the TV.  This layout makes for a far more immersive involvement..  just my opinion..  Also this aircraft can go anywhere compared to the Mustang.. 

There are a couple of things holding me back, James. One is the fact that it is a turboprop, and I usually find them to be rather difficult to control when compared to a jet (with respect to throttle management when hand flying). The second point (and this also applies to the Carenado Embraer Phenom 100) is that all of the landings that I have seen on YouTube for both aircraft do not seem to exhibit any kind of touchdown (or rollout) sound. In addition, there didn't seem to be any gear compression that I could see (although that is difficult to see on a video).

Any comments regarding those points?

No problem Anders as each to their own.  But I think you are maybe losing out on yourself with that way of thinking as Carenado has upped their game these days.

The Carenado PC12 handles exactly the same as the Flight 1 version but has more cockpit functions that allows for a far more immersive involvement, I know  as I have both. 

But Carenado also does steal the thunder in looks compared.

The PC12 also handles completely differently to most aircraft and you have to get used to it's nosedown attitude on approach

Anders, the problem is that you are being negative about a product that, one you do not have, so cannot criticise,  2 you are comparing your view from product's of an older generation.

So because you are showing the negativity in your written words, the context of the portrayal is difficult to interpret. 

I am sure Andrew did not intentionally try to run you over in his big truck (it sure is big mind) It's a Freightliner.  :D :D

But your words do show an element of unfairness to the present product.  The reviews are for the reader to get some sort of idea of the product before maybe making a purchase.

Also it is intended for the producer of the product to get feedback as to whether his/her product is good or not.  It allows the producer to improve.

So get up off the floor before another lorry comes and runs over you again. :D :D  :thum:

• Like 1

I also do not own the Pilatus but have quite a few Carenado and Alabeo aircraft and having read Joes review of the Tecnam, I will, for the foreseeable future be firmly ensconced in the Carenado/Alabeo camp.

I dont have this Aircraft, so I have no direct opinions on it, but since its on my christmas wishlist, I will say a few words.

Attractive is a very personal thing. Compared to the other Carenado aircraft in the review, this one is the most attractive in my eyes. It looks very potent and "swiss watch quality". 

I´m getting tired of reading reviews and I read less now. There are to many 9 - 10 point reviews out there and that is far from what I think is correct. If all products get 9 - 10 points then it doesnt make sense anymore. I have earlier on bought aircraft based on reviews and later been very disapointed.

I´m not a big Carenado fan... (oh - oh many raised eyebrows) To many times have I bought a dull airfile with flashy textures. And to many times have I been sitting with Photoshop editing these extremely annoying inside plexi that Carenado sometimes use. Green and blue tint makes the outside world look very sad . And the worst is that even after clearing and desaturating the plexi as much as you can, there´s always some effect left in the modeling and this you cant touch.

I´ve also had huge framerate problems with some of their aircraft. With planes like the FS9 Gran Caravan and the ones with 3D gauges dropping framerates  30 - 50% and making them useless unless you accept to have very low scenery settings when using these planes.  So I´m being very carefull with buying their products. IMHO they are focusing to much on the looks and not enough on the funcionality. The guys from the company are extremely nice and helpfull and when I had problems with the C208, they offered me another plane for free. I should just show them the ticket from where I bought it.  

So two final questions before finally putting this one on the christmas list:  Does it have clear windows and how is its impact on framerates?

Hi, I feel I have to support some of your statements here. Carenado do indeed focus more on speedy development and aesthetics, rather than functionality, systems modelling. I had that confirmed as a philosophy by someone who most definitely should know. ;) Flight dynamics aren't too bad, as long as Bernt Stolle designed them.

I can't comment from a personal perspective in regard to the the add-on referred to in this thread, only as a general statement, but if one were to simply pop across to Avsim, [unofficial Carenado support Forum] and peruse the multitude of modifications done to Carenado add-on's by enthusiastic owners, the shortcomings would be apparent.

"Bert Pieke" in particular has made a great contribution in this respect, and I know he has made modifications to the Carenado PC12 too.

I mention Bernt Stolle's FDE in my PA46T review, and also highlight Bert's mods available on Avsim. They are well worth checking out lads, and bring Carenado add-on's closer to what a discerning simmer requires.

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/mw/pa46t/pa46t.htm

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453326-how-can-i-get-all-the-fixes/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452217-kas297c-altitude-preselector/

It's a shame Carenado themselves couldn't have saved Bert the trouble by doing it themselves, but there you go. In fact, I own quite a few Carenado aircraft, and every one of them have required Bert's modifications to satisfy me.

Bert is a gem, talented and a very nice guy, his work has improved many a Carenado aircraft that the company failed to fix(my biggest complaint with them). Not that you are probably reading this but thanks Bert. :hat: