Prepar3d 2.5 inbound

It looks like LM are setting up Prepar3d version 2.5 for final approach....

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2015/01/97696/

What concerns me is that Rob Ainscough has indicated that there will probably not be a patch, which means that anyone wanting to upgrade to version 2.5 will have to reinstall the software from scratch. That is an entire weekend's work for me :(

• Like 1

I am not playing this game for a while as i cannot fly airliners with it, plus it looks like I will now have to buy it again, but the academic version, so that i can one day use my pmdg stuff.

I dont think its specially good news if we need to do a fresh reinstall.

I have v2.4 running without any problems and I´m not in the mood for reinstalling everything. I´m in the mood for flying.

I´ve read what is changed/fixed and I cant see that I need any of it, but maybe I´m blind.

If at the same time some programs might for some reason not install, then its a no-do.

I will be conservative and see what others say.

I dont know, but personally, I find that all these constant updates have a bad side as well.

I can't see much in the changelog that would warrant wasting an entire weekend reinstalling everything. One item seems to suggest the possibility that the lights on AI planes may now be visible from greater distances, and another is something to do with contrails (which I would hope is a fix for the vertical exhaust trails of high flying AI airliners). However, other than those I can't see much of relevance to FS users. Most of the changes are related to SimDirector, so it looks like this update is aimed squarely at professional clients (which is hardly surprising).

• Like 1

I am glad I stayed with FSX and DX10 fixer

You may be right. I have never tried FSX on a modern top computer. When it came out it was a bad experience.

P3D is very good, very stable, looks good etc. But 4 -5 updates a year is way to much and it gets stressy. I like flying and installing things here and there. I hate reinstalling a big bunch of software. In order to do it right, you need to test every install, and then it ends up being like going to work.

IMHO, it works well the way it is now. So maybe it would be better if LM concentrated on a v3 64 bit version and took the time it takes.

I hope that I wont need this new update or anymore v2 updates for that sake. Just my opinion, ok! 

I am glad I stayed with FSX and DX10 fixer

Never a truer word said in jest, I am also perfectly happy with my fsx with dx10 fixer in various versions on various drives it does what it says on the packet, and is virtually bullet proof , for the life of me i cannot understand why some still persist with dx9.

my p3d will now have to wait until they release the 64bit version, i no longer intend to keep installing petty changes which take a day or two to reconfigure.

• Like 1

FSX in DX10 mode never looked as good as it did in DX9 mode on my old i5 2500k powered PC, Nigel. The only advantage I could see was the superior VAS management. However, I do understand why some people are staying with FSX rather than switching to P3D. If it's working perfectly fine for you, then why bother? The chances are that any 64bit version 3 of P3D will break backwards compatibility anyway, so you will only have to start again. To be honest, I was even thinking about it myself whilst lying awake in bed this morning. Purchasing the PMDG 737NGX for P3D could be a costly exercise, particularly as I only actually want the 600/700, but I have to get the 800/900 base package for them to work! If I switched back to FSX, I wouldn't have to pay another penny.

Why isn't anything simple? <_<

Thanks, Kevin. I had not seen that. However, I would be a lot happier to hear about a significant discount for existing owners of the FSX version of the 737NGX to switch to the P3D version (in other words, transfer the license from FSX to P3D). A working weather radar is very nice, but it isn't as important as how much it's going to cost me to purchase what is (effectively) the same aircraft all over again.

Capt RR did make a slight reference a while ago to there probably being a limited time offer upgrade from FSX to P3D licence for existing owners, but that the exact costs wouldnt be worked out until just before release. Dont worry too much. It will be what it will be. If its too much I'll just stick with my Q400....

I'm happy enought with 2.4 and like some others don't want the hassle of a reinstall of everything. I have never had any luck installing patches before so find a full install a real bind and the large download size takes forever too.