Hold on! Orbx Still not updated for V2.5

The latest update from JV (yesterday) was that FTX Global has been fixed but they are still working on their Orxblibs.

So don't update to V2.5 if you use Orbx FTX products until their update is available.

Keep an eye out on this post from JV http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/91641-please-delay-your-move-to-p3d25-until-we-ship-some-new-files/

That's a rather negative comment for a positive situation, LM are pressing ahead ironing out all the bad bits from FSX, why do you need convincing to update and by whom?

If you cannot see any benefits from the list of updates published then stay with 2.4 or wait until the next major iteration V3.

I would have updated immediately if there had been a patch option, but I understand why that was not possible this time. Maybe my comment sounded a bit more negative than I intended, but I prefer to stick with what I have for the moment. Version 2.4 is working fine for me, and I don't want to go through the hassle of a full installation again unless there is sufficient motivation to do so. That day will surely come, but it is not this day :)

Christoffer, I totally agree. A full reinstall is absolutely not on my menu. If you look around on various forums, you´ll see a LOT of people with that attitude.

personally, I find it good that the sim is being updated and that work is being done to make it better. BUT I think that 3 - 4 updates a year is to much and it takes to much energy away from what this is about: flight-simming. Besides, I still cant see why update to 2.5 and I´ve read the LM site twice.

My next update will be when i have to either because addons only work with 2.5 (I dougbt that will happen) or if my PC needs a wipe. 

Whne v3 comes, it´ll be another story and if its 64bit, I will have to look closely to the economical aspect, because I dont think we can rely on addon devellopers continue using their time making new installers for free.

The part that I find most curious in the release comments about version 2.5 concerns the  "changes to the file and folder structure in preparation for a 64bit version". That suggests that the two versions are going to be "linked" in some way. Does this mean that LM are going to try and make the 64bit version backwards compatible with 32bit addons?

Chris of course they are :) They aren't daft! There will be a lot of stuff that works still, some that will just require a 64bit compile and even less that will need more extensive internal coding work. All this fluff about no addons working in a 64bit v3 is wishy washy Ill informed gossip and utter tripe I think... ;) K

I fully agree with you there Kevin, it is after all very possible to run 32-bit applications in 64-bit versions of windows.

Furthermore most Aircraft-add ons are after all "just" a 3D-model, some textures, an aircraft.cfg and an air-file. I can't see why any of those would be dependent on a 32-bit environment to run. 

This is even more so true for Scenery-add ons.

So unless a 64-bit version of P3D changes the whole structure for how Aircrafts and scenery are incorporated in to the Sim the only issue I can think of might be with custom DLL-files that might need to be adapted to run on a 64-bit platform, but hopefully most will just be an issue of recompiling them.

Chris of course they are :) They aren't daft! There will be a lot of stuff that works still, some that will just require a 64bit compile and even less that will need more extensive internal coding work. All this fluff about no addons working in a 64bit v3 is wishy washy Ill informed gossip and utter tripe I think... ;) K

I agree, I have quite a few 32bit programs running on my 64bit OS PC.

But i think that saying that everything will be just fine and working well is equally speculation and nothing else. Also, we have no idea how much improvement 64bits will give us. We will see what happens. Untill then, the runway is open for mental speculations. :) (nothing better than wasting time with that)