Wey Hey, I am flying!

Steam Account Opened..........check

FSX Steam Downloaded.........check

Joystick arrived in the post......check

Beginners missions 1-3 completed successfully.........check

Looks like the flying sim bug has well and truly got hold of me now. I cant wait to get home tonight to carry on with mission 4.

Mike

Congratulations Mike. :clapping: Now don't forget to put just a little time aside for loved ones. :thum:

So my wife does not feel left out I might ask her to dress up as a stewardess and walk up and down selling duty free whilst I am flying :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the Mad-House, Mike.

Hope you enjoy the helicopter Missions! That's another turn of the screw. :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :old-git

I have a bit of experience flying remote controlled heli's Dai, I hope it pulls me through :mellow: 

Congratulations Mike. :clapping: Now don't forget to put just a little time aside for loved ones. :thum:

^^^This....hahahahahah.

Congrats! Very excited for you...recalling my own first attempts at the stick...back in Wire Frame 3d days. :)

Cheers!

So my wife does not feel left out I might ask her to dress up as a stewardess and walk up and down selling duty free whilst I am flying :D

Welcome Mike! let me know how you get on with the above and with your FS adventures!

I have been trying to get the wife to dress up in uniform for years now, but no luck yet. :whis:  

Don't do it Mike, sometimes they do not get nerd jokes. :P

Happy to hear you are in the pilot's seat, happy tailwinds and landings. :) 

Hi. I'm Pete and I'm a flight simmer.

Congrats Mike! As addictions go, this one ain't so bad.  You're home most nights and you rarely lose entire days.  On the flip side, it can be sort of expensive in both time and money.  Once the add-on scenery monkey gets on your back you'll find yourself with Flight1, Aerosoft, and several other accounts while spending way too much time looking at config files.  Just say no.

Now that sounds good.

Dont upgrade your PC untill you really have to. It takes away a lot of energy from the important thing: flying. You sound happy now, so stay that way as long as possible. 

And if you buy a new pc, remember to Install FSX in its own folder in the root of the harddrive (C:/fsx D:/fsx ) Thats important.

Thanks guys,

I did mention to my wife last night my "latest hobby" was taking shape and the forum I have joined seems friendly and helpful. I then told her about my suggestion re the stewardess uniform and "in your dreams was mentioned" :(

If this is the attitude I am going to get I will have to ban her from entering the cockpit (study) and she will have to make do with her tablet if she wants the internet. :D 

Now that sounds good.

Dont upgrade your PC untill you really have to. It takes away a lot of energy from the important thing: flying. You sound happy now, so stay that way as long as possible. 

And if you buy a new pc, remember to Install FSX in its own folder in the root of the harddrive (C:/fsx D:/fsx ) Thats important.

Thanks DB,

Yes I am in a good place at the moment and by the looks of it have a lot to learn so I am in no hurry. I am fairly handy when it comes to IT and PC's but this looks a different ball game so I will not attempt to upgrade a thing without asking questions on here first.

I may be wrong as I have not checked the HD but I do not appear to have any files on my HD as I bought FSX via Steam. It did not provide me with a desk top icon, it seems I have to log into Steam to access FSX?

I was keen to crack on and start flying so I did not pay much attention to what was downloaded and where so I will have a good look tonight when I get home.   

Mike

Thanks guys,

I did mention to my wife last night my "latest hobby" was taking shape and the forum I have joined seems friendly and helpful. I then told her about my suggestion re the stewardess uniform and "in your dreams was mentioned" :(

If this is the attitude I am going to get I will have to ban her from entering the cockpit (study) and she will have to make do with her tablet if she wants the internet. :D

As a single guy, never married, and usually completely mystified by the opposite species...i am quite certain you are on the right track here...if you wish to be single again and flight sim whenever you like. :D

....so I will not attempt to upgrade a thing without asking questions on here first.

Although I agree with that philosophy in general, a current, parallel thread here leads me to believe that if you lay all FSX "experts" end to end, they all point in different directions.

John

Hi again Mike,

Congratulations on taking to the skies at last. I revisited the latest updated FSX SE Steam and have downloaded it onto an external HD and it seems OK so maybe not a waste of 5 euros after all.

With the updated version you do not have to be online to fly unless you are using multi-player.

Cheers, Mike.

Now that sounds good.

Thanks DB,

Yes I am in a good place at the moment and by the looks of it have a lot to learn so I am in no hurry. I am fairly handy when it comes to IT and PC's but this looks a different ball game so I will not attempt to upgrade a thing without asking questions on here first.

I may be wrong as I have not checked the HD but I do not appear to have any files on my HD as I bought FSX via Steam. It did not provide me with a desk top icon, it seems I have to log into Steam to access FSX?

I was keen to crack on and start flying so I did not pay much attention to what was downloaded and where so I will have a good look tonight when I get home.   

Mike

Your FSX SE files will be in C:\ProgramFilesx86\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX.

Hope this helps

Adrian

....so I will not attempt to upgrade a thing without asking questions on here first.

Although I agree with that philosophy in general, a current, parallel thread here leads me to believe that if you lay all FSX "experts" end to end, they all point in different directions.

John

Exactly and thats why I think its best to concentrate on the important stuff, which is flying and when needed start entering the huge jungle of information that there is on the net. One can loose a lot of energy and time while complicating life.

So I will suggest just installing a repaint, maybe a freeware scenery in your favorite area and slowly go into the jungle like that. I will call it, the fun way.

Try the different default aircraft to get an idea of what you like to fly before buying a ton of addons and if possible, do at least the private/and instrument lessons in order to get an understanding of what simming is about. First of all, learn to trim and to land without hanging in the joystick. A good land is such an elegant and effortless thing (if the weather is ok)

Now that sounds good.

Thanks DB,

Mike

Your FSX SE files will be in C:\ProgramFilesx86\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX.

Hope this helps

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, that is exactly where it was. For some reason I was looking for a Microsoft folder or FSX.

Mike 

John

Exactly and thats why I think its best to concentrate on the important stuff, which is flying and when needed start entering the huge jungle of information that there is on the net. One can loose a lot of energy and time while complicating life.

So I will suggest just installing a repaint, maybe a freeware scenery in your favorite area and slowly go into the jungle like that. I will call it, the fun way.

Try the different default aircraft to get an idea of what you like to fly before buying a ton of addons and if possible, do at least the private/and instrument lessons in order to get an understanding of what simming is about. First of all, learn to trim and to land without hanging in the joystick. A good land is such an elegant and effortless thing (if the weather is ok)

This is exactly what I am going to do DB, I am in no rush to add anything at the moment. The original programme contains enough to keep me occupied i.e. scenery and aircraft plus I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things so I will be making sure my flight skills are honed before I start to upgrade anything.

Mike