My all new look FSX!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all,   I have been wanting to try DX10 for ages so I have just got Steve's DX10 Fixer and Mogwaisoft's Shade today and spent most of the day tweaking, testing and tweaking some more. I have to sa

dx10 and rex rock the first one is FTX Southampton and no ctd's

Looks great, very atmospheric.  

@Matt

> "Bruce's Entire review/manual...it is rather long... :P"

Hmm. Well yes.

That comment instantly reminded me of the story of a young newspaper reporter who was interviewing a famous ballerina, and topped a series of inane questions by finally asking her what her latest dance meant.

Regarding him with scorn, on her way to the door the ballerina replied: "If I could explain it, do you think I would have taken the trouble to dance it?"

Sometimes, there's no other way — in such cases long is how long it has to be to say what needs to be said, I'm afraid.    :cool:  

Cheers,

B.

How long is a piece of......... no matter.

I found your err, manual invaluable Brian. In fact I keep going back to have another refresher.

Cheers  :thum:

<grin> Many thanks, Brian.

TBH I guess I do worry a bit when year by year newcomers to our shared obsession seem to have increasing problems with making the effort to read the documentation. (Which gives a whole new meaning to "Plug 'n pray").

[@Matt - Please be assured that this isn't in any way aimed at you, my friend: you just touched a nerve, that's all. ;-) ]

Take FSUIPC, for example: there's huge amounts of valuable information in Pete Dowson's (admittedly voluminous) documentation, but many simmers will never know about it. The fact is that some simming stuff *is* complicated, and just can't be dumbed down (DX10 workarounds being a good example).

Videos are all very well, but a disturbingly large percentage of the ones I've looked at contain silly errors and/or are mostly incomprehensible.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. 88-)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

My apologies Brian if I hit a nerve...seriously...damned interwebs and their ambiguous smilyconns.

That wasn't my intention, rather it was to be light hearted about the sometimes lengthy work involved in tweaking the settings to make this simulator run well....whether dx10 or dx9. I just got lucky when I installed the fixer, as it ran extremely well right from the start, perhaps because i had my DX9 settings tweaked pretty good already, and a few slider bumps up to strain the DX10 fixer didn't even phase it. I didn't thoroughly read your very excellent review / manual After installing the fixer, because it didn't prove necessary in my case, again, probably just very lucky.

I actually read quite a bit of it, or at least skimmed most of it before deciding to make the purchase of the fixer. It helped a lot to understand what I was getting into... so please be assured that it was very appreciated by me as your work on that review is what convinced me to make the switch... not the pretty pictures at the start of this thread, which often vary by system greatly.

Cheers to you sir and my Gratitude.

Series of hopefully unambiguous smileyconns follow:

:thum::hat::D:thanks: :thanks: :thanks::wow::cloudnine::dance3::dancea::thumbup::clapping::bowdown::salute::thumbsup:

In Rex Direct, on the main settings/configuration page, look for a section for wave, Water, and Sun...they have pull down menus set default to DX9, change it to enable DX10...then make sure you use a set from the Rex wave/water menu that doesn't have "burned in" patterns...go read the manual as it has illustrations as well, and a better description of the changes and why they help.

And again, Brian and the Needler are correct, it is well worth reading or skimming the manuals. :)

In Rex Direct, on the main settings/configuration page, look for a section for wave, Water, and Sun...they have pull down menus set default to DX9, change it to enable DX10...then make sure you use a set from the Rex wave/water menu that doesn't have "burned in" patterns...go read the manual as it has illustrations as well, and a better description of the changes and why they help.

And again, Brian and the Needler are correct, it is well worth reading or skimming the manuals. :)

I have REX Essentials and Overdrive and I'm sure it's just me missing something but I can't see anything about "burned in patterns" in the manual or  in the configuration. I had already set the DX10 options but Im still lookng to find a nice looking wave animation that's best with DX10.

Hi Graeme, REX has moved onto 'REX4 Textures Direct 'which is a texture replacement program only and has all new settings for DX10 and DX11 that is used in P3D. The weather generation part of the program has not changed and is not in the new program..

In your situation you could just ignore the 'burned in' patterns comment, stay with overdrive unless you are really unhappy with it.  :hat:

sorry saber... That burned in information is included in the description of the various textures in the Rex direct program. For example the Crisp Coral Light texture is a good one to use because it doesn't have any burned in textures as noted in the description. check some of the other water and wave pattern descriptions and you will see some reference burned in patterns.

I don't have overdrive so I don't know if that changes things, I defer to the boss.

Thanks Matt/Joe

I just thought I was missing something. I should have known things would have changed. Something else to think about plus now I've been on their site I see something called Soft Clouds, is that something to look at?

I have them and like them, they are really designed for the latest Prepar3D V2.5 pack that has a better rendering engine for clouds that comes with DX11. It is backward compatible to DX10 and DX 9 but I would say don't bother if you are sticking with FSX it won't make a great deal of difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread... just wondering i am downloading orbx eu england and soft clouds from rex...do i need to redo anything in dx10 fixer?

Wayne

Sorry to revive an old thread... just wondering i am downloading orbx eu england and soft clouds from rex...do i need to redo anything in dx10 fixer?

Wayne

Yes you need to run the fixer again. It will prompt you that it's out of date, just update the database, it only takes a couple of minutes.

If you are running ORBX Global Vectors you'll also need to run AEC in case of any level problems.

Ok thank you....once internet is sorted all systems go... keeps dropping out had issues for few days now between router and net...have router provided by sky but its old... not sure if i can buy after market one and use that....

Wayne

ok last post, just updated nvidia drivers, do I need to do anything in DX10 or delete any shaders folders?

Wayne

Previously I think all setting changes made with the Nvidia Inspector was reset when installing new drivers. So my SOP for updating the drivers is to first save my FSX profile in Nvidia Inspector, install the new drivers and then re-load the saved settings.

This is of course assuming you are using the Nvidia Inspector rather than the control panel supplied by Nvidia to manage your settings...