I wanted to check the install of my Return to Misty Moorings addons, so I took the Malibu 32 early morning in Ketchikan harbour. I was in time to have a coffee at Misty's place.

2015-05-1417_24_37-Greenshot.jpg

I made a short stop on the way out to listen to the seagulls...

2015-05-1417_27_58-Greenshot.jpg

Then crossing the bay at 50 knots went to Metlakattla Harbour...

2015-05-1417_41_43-Greenshot.jpg

And stopped by Brad's BBQ in the harbour for a good lunch before heading back to Ketchikan.

2015-05-1417_43_44-Greenshot.jpg

Didn't see any boat although I installed the AI ship traffic. Will have to investigate...

• Like 2

They have a "Legacy" with 35 of the early places, but for the rest it's individual. The good thing it that you install only what you want, the bad thing when you start from scratch like me is that it takes some time...  I installed Legacy and Misty's place,then started in alphabetical order, doing a few every day. I'm at letter E at the moment !  :)

It's difficult because all the scenery zips don't have the same components. Most have maps and flight plans that you need to copy apart, some have effects, some have sounds, all have readme with the whole story and some have a Trip Ticket on the website and some don't...

The early users have installed it over several years... It could also be that they only want people who are ready to put some effort in the process, which I could understand. After all it's freeware, they don't need to worry about the number of customers ( but they have many... )

For me I am flying at least two or three times a week all year round with my AH company in this corner of the woods and the enhancements are well worth the time I put into it.  :)

• Like 1

Nice work, Loic - thanks for letting us see Misty's Place. :thum:.

@ Chris - I started to look into Misty Moorings a couple of years back and I had a similar problem - where to start?!? Still need to do that...

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

• Like 1

a while back i did a mistey project that got me in truble

Without mentioning any names ;)

I was very active on a forum for heli enthuses

I was fairly new to the scene and was basically following everyone’s footsteps;

These guys already had everything setup when we went out for flights; I couldn’t always see the reference points they were using; because my scenery was lacking ,

Like Loic I ended up building my MM scenery one by one; it was such a tedious job I just couldn’t understand why it was done this way?

Naively; I thought… well maybe no one taken the initiative to make it probably, so I decided I will!

I spent over three weeks straight reading every readme for every scenery they had; and made sense of it all together,

I had prepared three levels of installations; all would build over the previous; adding more functions,

After almost a month of work I uploaded almost 3+gb to our small group so new pilot don’t have to spend a moth installing MM and can just focus on catching up these guys;

Then I thought; it would be rude of me not to post this on MM; so I did,

they didn’t like that I did that at all; they didn’t see my good intension of helping the community at all,

by the time I explained myself to MM director - Brad Allen; he did finally understood I wasn’t coming from a negative place and that I was just trying to help;

but by then it opened up such a can of worms; I had no idea what was expecting me; before I know I got banned from my favorite place for defending my acts,

even though Brad Allen saw my good intensions and even made a public statment that we are communicating on good terms;

we even started working out an alternative to my original package;

(I believe this 35 starter pack is the result of what we were about to do together before I decided to step away from this)

Unfortunately receiving such treatment on my favorite forum completely; shattered my spirit,

I decided to just let it go ; I was never accepted nicely on that forum since,

Thats quite a sad story about someone trying to help and make other lifes easier, I see this happening on some other places and I then tend to avoid them...you keep helping Chris we could do with more like it....there is always someone new who is a bit nervouse about asking what appears to be a 'stupid' question for fear of ridicule, thankfully that doesnt happen here.

Great pics and obviously worth all the effort......

Wayne

• Like 1

Chris, I´m sorry to hear your bad experience.

The flightsim community can be very picky. And maybe you didn´t do things the way they should have been done. Did you ask for permission before you made your move? Remember this is some peoples work that has taken them years to create. Just because its freeware, doesnt mean that we can do with it what we think is right. So if you asked first then you were treated badly, if you didnt, remember to do so next time. :thum:

I had everything Misty Fjords installed in FS9 untill recently (and funny enough, the addons are very different. Many places have not been remade for fsx/p3d Its 2 different worlds) Now I´m installing things bit by bit in P3D. I take one or 2 places a time and fly them. Normally using their really high quality flight plans, dispatches etc.

Return to Misty Moorings (RTMM) is a lot more than a bunch of addons. Its about flying them. I dont care that it´ll take me month or more to have everything installed. I like that I go step by step and slowly build my simulator world. I´m not in a hurry and this way I get to really know the little world that I build.

I had Misty Fjords day one, hour one when it came out for FS9, 11 years ago. It was actually kind of disappointing because it was so empty (and expensive). Even the few airports were poorly made and I found that Holger Sandmans freeware "Glacier Bay" was a better addon because it the nice airports. On top of that, Misty Fjords cost 40,-$ back in 2004 and that was a VERY high price back then.

But slowly and easy everything changed and you got this and that freeware addon that could be installed in the empty Misty Fjords landscape. It was an extremely creative period and really fun to be a part of it.

The good thing about RTMM is that they have the base package (and a few other scenery packages like C.I.R.P, Barnstormers etc) in multi install packages. And most important is that they have all the objects in a 3 packages only. In the "good old" days those were single install and there were a lot of them. This way you get an easy start with a lot of places to fly.

Sometimes putting everything together in a mega install just makes discovering the sim-world less interesting. Take ORBX freeware 1 -21 US multi-installer. Do you really enjoy the huge amount of airports with blue Hangars and do you fly around and visit them? Its like eating Icecream for every meal. After a day or two, you ask for a boiled potato. ^_^  

• Like 1

I agree the objects library install with the three packs is easy. For the remaining sceneries besides the "Legacy" pack of 35, you can choose what you want to install. It's really worth it if you fly often in this part of the world. Of course you need to have the ORBX PNW PFJ and SAK as well as Tongass Fjords X for everything. I don't have PNW as I don't fly much south of Bella Bella.

• Like 1

Did you ask for permission before you made your move?

thanks guys, much appreciated,

i didn’t ask permission before i did my project; i first did it for myself only!

after i had it complete and realized the amount of time i invested

i thought it would be nice to share with RTMM community (I wasn’t thinking procedures; I jumped the gun a bit)

at the time i didn’t know RTMM policy that well, when Brad saw my post the next morning on RTMM; he contacted me and ask to disable the links until they sorted things out; which i did,

i explained myself and apologized for my mistake; which was not asking permission prior to publishing the set on RTMM; (not the making of it)

(bear in mind that the issue I had wasn’t with RTMM community; they were the nicest any one could ask under the circumstances);

Brad was not upset at all after we cleared the air; he saw the good in it,

yet the other form cronies already started ganging up on me,

Brad chimed in on my thread on the other community forum and explained that everything is cool,

yet it didn’t stop there; i was harassed on TS and just decided to abandon the scene there

I love MH and the people who make it what it is; I enjoy the conversations here and the general quality of people intellect that exists here

I am very happy I found MH; this is home for me :)

Well, Chris, the best is that life goes on and we all learn and from what you write I dont think you have much to regret or that you did something wrong.

As I said its very easy to step on someones toes in the flightsim community. And I agree that MH is by far the most civilized Flightsim forum. Besides occasionally frequenting other forums, this is the only one where I´m active.

• Like 1

@ Brian - started to download and install over OrbX PNW and Pacific Fjords but got into a tangle with the large number of possible alternatives. I'm afraid I gave up on this review - it was just too much of an up-hill struggle. I'm sure Joe and Andrew would be happy for you to take it on, though.

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Great pics Loic. That boat looks very fun...keep a sharp eye out for drifting logs at that speed.

Sorry to hear bout Chris' experience. I'm to new to FS community to respond to FS  aspect of this, but I have been an active volunteer before for a non profit, and ya...even in "free" work people get "invested" in it and the croni...old timers have an idea of how things have always been/should be.  It is easy to step on toes even when doing a great volunteer project that benefits the organization (serious direct personal experience as the toe stepper myself, an old timer left the organization over it despite me and a few friends creating an outreach program earning several thousand dollars for the group, and helping local schools teach science to grade school kids....so...). So, I feel your pain buddy. :D

Keep on lighting up FSX sir!

• Like 1

Finally could check my AI ship traffic has installed OK. I met 6 different ships while flying from Wrangell PAKW to Sitka PASI.

2015-05-1623_06_10-Greenshot.jpg

My new Sitka with Tongass Fjords X looks good as well. 

2015-05-1623_52_03-Greenshot.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, happy cruising. :)

When I see Sitka I always flash to the default mission landing mid flight into Sitka at dusk. It was one of the first missions I flew and will never forget that feeling of  being amazed by flight. FSX had me hooked.

• Like 1