So after watching videos posted on here using trackir and going through lots of reviews and posts on different sites I am nearly ready to buy this.

Just wanted info from you friendly bunch.. have you got it? Does it make flying GA better experience? Also anyone using it with Steam?

Currently doing a reinstall of everything so have a few days spare to check it out.

Hopefully some will be on show at Weston this weekend...

Wayne

I don't have Steam (yet), but have and use TrackIR. It's a game changer and is easily the best add-on I've ever used for FS.

It takes a little getting used to. For a short time after beginning to use it I would experience some very mild discomfort, not quite nausea, but getting in that direction. It would happen after using the TrackIR for a few minutes. I'd just switch back to the 2D cockpit for a few minutes, then shift back. Within a week or two that passed and I am able to use it continuously for hours at a time now with no problems.

I highly recommend it. If possible, go for the Track Clip Pro option. The reflector-based clip that is intended to use with a baseball cap is not as good. The Track Clip has active light sources (IR LEDs) but requires that you use a headset - it clamps around the bow of the headset. That was a no-brainer for me anyway - I'm not a hat guy and I use a headset when flying anyway.

John

Thanks John. I really like the look of this. Just testing the water with peoples experiances.

I wouldnt have steam given a choice but to buy a disc now is about £40. Had to sort registry and now doing full reinstall.

Not into hats either so will be Pro option.

Its an addon that I want to be sure is worth buying...

Wayne

I've been using Track IR for years ( I now have a TIR 5 after my TIR 4 died of long service hours ) and have been using it with all my flight sims  ( Falcon 4.0, IL2 , Rise of Flight, Over Flanders Fields, Condor soaring,  FSX ) and even for space ships ! ( Elite Dangerous )

I can't imagine virtual flying without it.  I don't have problems with caps so I have a winter one ( lighter than the Natural Point one ) and a summer one ( golf style without top ). The Pro clip always seemed to me expensive and easy to break.

It must also be clipped on the earphones, and during daytime I like to let the engines roar on my Altec Lansing surround sound system with a large subwoofer...  :)

Edit :  Never had any problem with the standard passive reflectors over the years, even in online combat sims like Rise of Flight  where you need to have your head on a swivel. Just a matter of using the right profiles.

Using TrackIR is, as JA says, a game changer.

I use it with EZDOK and I would not want to do with out it.  TrackIR allows you to set up less view points especially in the cockpit.

I used to set up several cockpit views to enable me to look around the cockpit and get a close up of any switch and dial.

Now I generally have only two. The standard pilot view and a hunkered down instrument view. This is the same as the standard pilot view but with the top of the dashboard at the top of the screen. At this level I can use TrackIR to look around my instruments including side panels in a much more flexible way. No more cycling through a set of views to get to the correct one, all you have to do is look at the panel and there you are!!

I have the pro clip which I use on a single sided headphone and mike boom, I can get the chatter in my ear and still hear the aircraft. I find the Pro clip works better than the standard one.  The proclip is an active system where as the standard is passive.

I don't have EZDOCK, but have been considering it.

I Seat of the Pants change cockpit views with TrackIR by adopting a "Opposite Position" and hitting the Center hot key.

I assigned all TrackIR hotkeys to the number pad...it's a PITA when I need to enter numbers in text fields while TrIR is running, but very nice while flying...5 is center, 1 is precision mode, and 0 is Pause.

For that Hunkered down position, I sit way up and look up slightly, and recenter the view. Then when I sit back down, I am in the Hunkered mode looking down..."5" to easy peasy to return to normal look over the dash view.

Also looking Up slightly while re-centering in normal height puts my eye point at normal height, but slightly down looking at the instruments while flying...my favorite view.

I also tend to put TrackIR on pause during long stretches on Autopilot, because I also dislike wearing headsets/hats/whatever while flying. I Pause, and take all the gear off and enjoy the sights using Space-Mouse views between actual Flying.

Agree with all the positive reviews - game changer - couldn't be without it. Works perfectly with FSX:SE - and actually I find FSX:SE the best version of the genre (including P3D) for smoothness and framerate on my system.

Just out of interest I have invested (?) in an Oculus Rift DK2 and have donated to this project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1232710074/flyinside-fsx?ref=hero_thanks

Will start a thread on it once I have tested this weekend.

cheers

Peter

Right thanks for all your feedback. Seems like I need to have one of these. Always been unsure but seems a definate purchase. Thanks chaps...now to find a good deal...

Wayne

Agree with all the positive reviews - game changer - couldn't be without it. Works perfectly with FSX:SE - and actually I find FSX:SE the best version of the genre (including P3D) for smoothness and framerate on my system.

Just out of interest I have invested (?) in an Oculus Rift DK2 and have donated to this project:

cheers

Peter

@Peter,

Any idea what would be used to interact with the software that Flyinside is proposing?

From what I can see, the Oculus Rift hardware is not even slated for release until (sometime in) 2016. I'm assuming the DK2 is currently available as the Flyinside developer is talking software release in 2015. I see some things for sale on Amazon that appear to be head-mounted iPhone holders. I'll bet that's pretty marginal.

I'm really interested in VR and I'm looking forward to advances starting to come thick and fast as the (virtual) ball starts down the hill.

cheers

Peter

@Peter,

Any idea what would be used to interact with the software that Flyinside is proposing?

From what I can see, the Oculus Rift hardware is not even slated for release until (sometime in) 2016. I'm assuming the DK2 is currently available as the Flyinside developer is talking software release in 2015. I see some things for sale on Amazon that appear to be head-mounted iPhone holders. I'll bet that's pretty marginal.

I'm really interested in VR and I'm looking forward to advances starting to come thick and fast as the (virtual) ball starts down the hill.

I know this off topic so I will start a new thread tomorrow when I have run my first test but to answer John's question........

So that is the killer question - how to interact. I am very fortunate to have a PFC C2 Pro so I know where every switch, knob, flaps, trimmer wheel etc is by feel. So I will be interacting via that. Which is fine for casual GA flying but the radios will be an interesting challenge. Also for airliners a number of challenges will exist with so many more interactions needed.

The developer has raised enough money to develop the software further and is looking to work on a system called Leap Motion where the operators hand/arm movements will be recognised and it is envisaged that the operator will be able to reach into the virtual 3D cockpit and use their hands to operate all the equipment. My understanding is that this will be quite a challenging pice of programming to make seemless and that the technology is not there yet.

It has also just been announced that Oculus have purchased a company called Pebble which is at the forefront of this technology. As you probably know the Facebook owner has invested $2bn into Oculus - so they certainly have the cash, focus, passion etc to get there. Obviously he has not invested that sort of money based purely on gaming but sees a massive role for the technology in education, medicine, virtual travel, test driving cars and anything else that could be imagined. Apprently there is already a programme in development where surgeons can open up a virtual body and perform operations.

So whilst it is early days there is a massive focus on VR from a lot of big players (MS, Sony, Samsung, HTC, Valve). The mobile telephone technology has helped because of the advances in screen technology which is enabling HD resolutions for VR. But it took a 19 year old (now 21) with a vision to really kick start the interest and he is the CEO of Oculus - great name too - Palmer Lucky.

The DK2 is a prototype development kit, but, even so, more than 75000 units have been sold.

I am flirting with it early on because I just have to see for myself what all the hype is about. If it truly does make casual flying a near real visual experience then whether it is perfect or not I think it will be something I will be spending a lot of time doing........and I may have a used TIR5 for sale.

Can't wait to be able to report back - and the handy thing is the better half is away this weekend!

cheers

Peter

I agree as well it is On topic, and find that Tir is a step in the VR direction...it put "our heads into the game"...VR itself would put our bodies in, or be a step in that direction.

I am waiting for it...but am not an early adopter of new tech because I can't afford to be.