Leg 35 - Cassidy Intl (PLCH) to Hilo Intl (PHTO)

"Never eat the food" is an old adage for travellers, and one I really should have paid attention to. A bout of food poisoning has left me stranded at Cassidy international for days. Unable to fly, and even worse, drink, I've been left to my own devices at the local hotel. Thoughtfully, ATWC head honcho Mikael up had sent me a few 1 player board games to keep me company. Though without a bottle of Lemon Vodka as a companion, by the third day of my captivity, I'm losing patients with a few of the games. Thankfully my breakfast stayed in this morning and I able to resume normal flying. As normal, I put out a call to my contacts to find an aircraft for this leg. I had hoped that Edgar, the British Airways 777 I 'borrowed' before would be available, but apparently, he's needed in Las Vegas for something. There aren't any 747's around either. So BA are no help. Likewise Boeing can't offer me anything either. My only choice is to contact Airbus, who are still kind of pissed that I broke the A350 last time out. However, they seem happy to hear from men and agree to send me out an aircraft ASAP. Well cometh the hour, cometh the prototype, well an old A330 demonstrator anyway. The A330-200 isn't even the first A330 to fly, but what the hell. Airbus may be having a joke at my expense, but to me the A330 is a wonderful surprise, mostly because it's incredibly familiar. Sharing the same cockpit design as the A320, The A330 is a great choice for me. So off we go. 

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2014-18-56-14_zpskc

The trip across 1000+ miles of ocean is a long on, and there's sod all to see below. Thank god for the coffee machine on board.  

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2014-36-16-41_zpshu

So departing Cassidy international mid afternoon, I settle in for a quiet flight. After the fuss I had with the Saab J21, I make sure this aircraft has plenty of fuel and that we can fly high above the weather below. It's a bloody good job to. As we climb though 30000ft, the cloud below becomes less like cotton wool and more like a smothering blanket. Not that there's anything to see. 

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2014-43-27-22_zpsex

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2015-02-19-78_zpsic

Whilst we press on, I get chatting to the cabin crew, well, Emily anyway. It turns out, Airbus sent this A330 to me with the idea that Hawaiian would appreciate a look at it. I think their hoping Hawaiian will purchase a few new A330 NEO's to replace their existing fleet. Emily though is just along for the ride and is meeting her boyfriend, a pilot apparently (who could have guessed!) at Hilo and Airbus is paying for the trip as long as she accompanied me. Personally, it's just nice to have company. 

The afternoon wanders on and I manage a little lunch with Emily and enjoy the view of bugger all from 39000 feet. The weather isn't looking so great, with clouds appearing even at this flight level. the air is calm and I relax and enjoy the A330 for a bit. 

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2015-17-07-46_zpsy3

Night begins to fall as we approach Hilo, and the Pacific Ocean gives way to the beautiful islands of Hawaii. With my grass skirt days long gone (if it doesn't come in black, it doesn't go on!), I look forward to a quiet evening in a hotel bar meeting up with Brian Cowell for the traditional 'Boeing V Airbus' debate. For now though, my thoughts turn back to the job at hand, and it begin preparing for the descent. 

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2015-17-30-13_zpsux

The weather at Hilo is predictably tropical, a few clouds, great visibility and warm to boot. The wind is calm and I select runway 26 for arrival.

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2016-53-27-23_zpslp

The approach is unremarkable and landing the heavy A330 is no more difficult than landing my A320 (incidentally, Siggy, my A320 is still undergoing maintenance in Argentina).

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2016-59-11-03_zpssm

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2017-00-17-45_zpsnc

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2017-01-29-62_zpsnz

We leave the runway and park up on stand tired and thirsty. I hand over the A330 to the Airbus guys, all of whom seem relieved to see both engines intact this time. Finally I try to bid farewell to Emily, but she's already in the arms of her pilot boyfriend. With a smile on my face and the thought of a Hawaiian cocktail in my mind, I head off to the nearest bar. 

X-Plane%202015-09-11%2017-11-49-93_zpsot

@brett

Hmm, is there anything you want to share with us about this thing you have with grass skirts?? :cool:

@Jess

Well done, great flight - I particularly enjoyed the shots of your night landing at Hilo.

I landed this morning, but since we're carrying cargo for our onward flight they directed me across to the cargo area, which is the old (and slightly seedy, TBH) passenger terminal by the other runway. I'll give the lads the evening off and look forward to meeting up for a chat. Hair of the dog or whatever, we have to make quite sure that you're fully recovered... :)

Cheers,

B.

@brett

(I should have known it was a mistake to give you the slightest encouragement...).

You're a brave man, my friend! Far be it from me (on account of simple cowardice, you understand) to comment publicly on someone else's dress style, or indeed their coloured grass accoutrements.

Not to mention (which is why I didn't) their coconuts, of whatsoever hue.   :rolleyes:    :whis:    ^_^

Besides, I think she looks just lovely in an A330.     :th_blush:   

Cheers,

B.

• Like 1

Oh dear.. I can't leave you all to it over a weekend without this thing turning in to a mess of badly concealed innuendos can I... 

@Brett: Consider yourself lucky you will not attend Cosford.. I can only assume Jess would have provided a fitting attire for you to wear if you had shown up  :whis:

@Brian: Since I think you will show up at Cosford I can understand your most diplomatic approach to this discussion   :D

@Jess: Someone must have nicked the bottles of Lemon Vodka I shipped together with those board games, I'm sure I sent at least two of them in the package.. On the other hand, if they had reached you the delay could possibly have been considerably longer :P

Great shots considering the lack of scenery, it sure is hard to make an interesting PIREP on these long water-world legs but you managed it.

What model of the A330 is that? It sure looks way better than the F-Lite offering from Just Flight I used to have installed...

... @Brett: Consider yourself lucky you will not attend Cosford.. I can only assume Jess would have provided a fitting attire for you to wear if you had shown up  :whis: ...

You mean two black eyes? :D