CPU Overclocking, help please.

Can anyone else suggest an "Overclocking for Dummies" - How To site/page.

Every time I start looking around for information on that, I find myself reading stuff that assumes I already know stuff, when in fact most of the instructions I am finding might as well be in Greek.

I downloaded MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and it looks like I am running smooth and cool...I have room to play with apparently. Does that program allow me to adjust anything CPU related?  Or is it Just a monitor? (actually, it looks like it is useful only for GPU overclocking...not CPU)

I have an Asus Intel 3.5-4690K CPU, and it supports overclocking, but don't know where to begin.

I haven't stressed out about it as my system is running pretty stable most of the time, with only very occasional out of memory problems around KSFO, and once in a while KSTS Sonoma.

I would however like to bump my CPU capability up as it is meant to be able to do it.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Thanks, that worked like a charm...so far.

I downloaded and used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility...it has "novice overclocking" tools. I bumped up the clock a nudge at at time and bench-marked. I'm not sure what the Score means, but it improved from 722 to 748. And my Windows Experience score got nudged up a bit too from 6.4 to 6.7.

My CPU was already bumped up to 3.8mhz (it's a 3.5mhz chip), probably by the shop that upgraded my computer with the new motherboard and CPU. I bumped it up to 4.0, and FSX worked noticeably smoother around KSTS, and even around KSFO in the evening with NE lights on the sim ran pretty good. Max CPU temp was 56C after an hour of bombing around in the A2A P40, Avro Anson, and a few others....lots of window changes, lots of scene changes, and kept on working like a champ.

Cheers.

Use RealTemps to monitor your CPU core temperatures - run Extreme Tuning Utility and click on stress test. Run the stress test for around 10 hours and keep checking the temperature of the cores.

Find out the maximum temperature of your CPU and never go above that.

I see your cpu is 'K' which means the multiplier is unlocked. This makes overclocking easy as you can go into the bios and up the multiplier by 1 and check temps. Rinse and repeat until you cannot boot up. Up the Vcore voltage a tiny bit until you can boot but don't go to high on the Vcore (Google vcore to find out recommended highest value)

Rule of thumb is higher voltage the higher the temperatures.

I actually overclocked my cpu increasing the multiplier and then I lowered the voltage instead to lower temperatures - it means I could overclock higher but I don't need to as 4.4GHz is good enough for me atm.

I got into overclocking a while ago and all I did was Google my motherboard and cpu overclocking guide. Someone out there more than likely have already been there done that :)

Good luck!

@JG, yes - but like the Run DMC song: It's tricky!

I reckommend don't bother. You can overclock via the BIOS settings but the risk to your system is much bigger because your changes will have an effect on all your components - not just the CPU.

If you want to venture there you can change the settings for turbo boost and blck in the BIOS.

But I strongly advise against this. The K's are for overclocking.

Matt,

Do you have a decent cooler for that i5 4690k? I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO on my i5 4690k, and it runs @ 4.6Ghz overclocked. I think that max temperature I have seen is about 72C, which is slightly higher than I would like, but still OK. You certainly have nothing to worry about at 56C!

I know I upgraded the CPU cooler when I switched it out...but not sure what the specs/model are after all this time....but yours sounds familiar. :)

Regarding stress testing...sorry, I have no patience to run a specific test for 10 hours, not while awake anyhow...I'll try running one tonight while I sleep, timed for when I awaken. Instead thus far I have been running FSX, Airhauler, Screencast-O-Matic, ASNext, TrackIR, Movie Edit Pro, Netflix, and Mutley's Hangar, while watching temps on the MSI monitor...60C is the max I have seen so far during Real World Stressing.

I have done some 5 and 10 minute actual Stress Tests to ensure that nothing seriously borks after every change.

I also adjusted my fan speed settings in MSI to bump the speed up at various temps...it was set to 80% at 70C...i moved that to 95% just to make sure air is moving better if temps increase.