Looking on ORBX forum I see that JV is saying that their products will install exactly as they always have. They said LM came to the party abit late to be changing it all as they were working originally with Aces.

They will also have new installers out this month with Airports to follow.

Reading thiugh it looks like they are saying you will have to redownload all products.

Wayne

Thanks for the heads up Wayne, I must take a look.

At the show I was running a beta version of FTX Central that made it possible to use FTX Global and openLC in P3D V3, but I had to have these addons previously activated in V2.xx. I  wouldn't be surprised if we have to start from scratch, it's just one of those things. :mellow:

It's early days, but the performance of V3 at the show literally blew people away, if only I was on commision for new sales I could afford a new rig :rofl:

• Like 1

Having piqued my curiosity about P3D v3 (dammit!), Joe, I have been taking an initial look around at what might be involved.

There's a lot of stuff on the 'net about transferring stuff relatively easily from P3D v2.55 to v3, but not very much about transferring from FSX (P3D v0.0?).

Other than waiting for official v3 installers to be made available, people seem to be pinning their hopes on Flightsim Estonia's migration utility....      :whis:

But please educate me (the above was on the dubious basis of a few hours of Googling).    :P

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

I dont use migration tool ... i did get it but had a change of mind... i feel if I cant install normally usually just by pointing to the right directory then its probably not gonna happen... I have got traffic 360 working in v3 just by adding 1 line... it was the same in v2.5 and FSXSE...you will get an error log but thats also the same for Carenado...I am running 2.5 and 3 at the moment and if I never had P3D I think I would wait a short while until devs sort themselfs out...

Wayne

Hi Bruce,

You have pretty much have the gist of it.

You should be able to migrate most FSX aircraft and scenery into P3DV3, but using an updated installer from the developer will always be the ideal solution.

I used to use (and sometimes still do) the free TweakFS registry tool http://tweakfs.com/download/fsx_reg_utility.zip which locates the registry entry for FSX and allows you to set the path from the FSX root directory to the P3DV3 root directory.  You also have to create a dummy fsx.exe file and place in the P3DV3 root folder so is not the ideal solution. However, for software that will not be updated, e.g. the developer has gone out of business, then these migration tools are the only way forward.

:hat:

All of the above seems to be about migrating.  What of new builds?

Will existing P3D ready products install correctly with their current P3D install or should we wait for a new version with a P3D installer?

Depends what it is...REX are doing new ones so are ORBX...A2A has released updates.. most aircraft just install normally just need to point to sim...for addons I am checking devs web... one thing I dont know though is are there any issues if v3 is your first LM install... would be good to hear their experiances as I already have 2.5 on my HDD...

Wayne

P3D itself is quite straight forward, just install as normal, I kept mine on a seperate drive from OS, it asks for licence ID & password, they are on the email and away you go........I had more issues from Dec - around June with FSXSE, thankfully RC Simulations had some FSX discs so steam just sits as purchased but not installed.....

When I first got P3D I installed and just played around with the settings and added a few things as they became available but still used FSX, now I prefer P3D over FSX but still buy addons that I can use in both, I have AH1 working fine in P3Dv2.5, infact I only use FSX for IF10. Maybe that is an option for you, install but keep FSX too.....

Wayne

Hi Joe!

Thank you for that, my friend, in my reading I hadn't come across the registry fix + dummy fsx.exe idea.     :thum:

But I have several legacy items with only FSX installers that I would be loth to lose, so it seems that I may nonetheless have to await a V3 migration from fsx utility.   :whis:

Certainly, many of the alleged fixes that have appeared so far assume that you have a v2 P3D to migrate from (which I don't, of course). Although in looking at the threads regarding the EZCA (a.k.a. EZDOK) v1.18 beta I found a thread on this page http://www.simforums.com/Forums/prepar3d-v3_topic53633.html  beginning with the words "For Ezdok beta Users the following guide will allow you to use Ezdok normally (INCLUDING ez config tool) under a standalone install of Prepar3d V3", which seems hopeful. I'll let you know — when and if I decide to get P3D v3, of course!    :cool:  But until I'm a little more confident of my ability not to lose too many of my legacy apps and airports, I'll be somewhat cautious about doing that. (J.G., I'm with you!)     :P

Cheers and thanks,

B.

• Like 1

The is is an interesting video - very professional, calm comparison of 2.5 vs 3. However for some the most interesting part may be the description of FSCubed - it was new one on me. Apparently this new tool takes a snap shot of 2.5 works out which addons need to be in the new separated folder structure, builds those folders in V3 and restores the addons into those folders and voila all works perfectly (with a couple of exceptions as explained).

I said it might be useful to some but not to me as unfortunately I had deleted 2.5 prior to finding out about this tool.....doh

regards

Peter

• Like 1