Hello to one and all,can someone advise me please, as which of these Flight Sims will be best suited to my new PC.

FSX Steam/Prepar3d/Xplane

After talking with Alec from Chillblast here are the specs

Cooler Master CM-690 III Advanced Dominator Case USB 3.0

Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor – Overclocked to 4.2GHz

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5 Intel X99 Motherboard

16GB Corsair/Crucial DDR4 2133MHz Memory

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Graphics Card

1000GB Samsung 850 EVO Solid State Drive

3x Asus VC239H monitors and a triple monitor stand

TrackIR5

24x DVD-RW Drive

Corsair HX 1050 Modular 1050W PSU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)

x3 Port Firewire Card

Also any advice on a second NVIDA GTX or later?

Also 16GB or 32GB DDR4 Memory

It's my dream PC and after 50 years of working it's MY TIME NOW

As my partner says do you need it no,do you want yes

ITS GET IT TIME LOVE

Many thanks for reading it & advice

From a very inexperienced BUT happy novice SIMMER

Ps watch this space I am bound to be back

ASKING

Just saw on our forum before I posted

Do you recommend Windows 7 or 10 ?

Hi and welcome. Many grey simmers in this location!

My advice is jump straight into P3d V3. I have a lower spec laptop than your proposed rig. I'll not comment on that but I have to say the performance increase I've seen with v3 is astonishing.

No doubt others will chip in their views.

Dean

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

That's a very good specification and I agree with Dean, if you are new to the scene then buy the lastest sim with the best performance (P3Dv3).

I don't think the extra card and memory will make that much difference to what is already a high speed machine, save the money for other addons like scenery and aircraft.

Cheers,

Joe

• Like 1

I have to agree with Dean & Joe, I have FSX, FSXSE, XPLANE, P3D2.5 & v3, I have to say in my opinion you cant beat P3D, I only use FSX now for IF10.

Great specs you have on your rig, cant see anything I would upgrade, I have the GX 970 4 gb and it performs very well and yours is up from that....

Wayne

• Like 1

I agree with the others.  There are only four viable choices - three of the four are under active development (FSX-Steam, P3D and X-Plane).  X-Plane, in my opinion is an also-ran with some serious shortcomings and a lot fewer available add-ons (though that's an improving picture).  That leaves FSX-SE and P3D.  Both are based on the same set of code, originally from MS and it remains to be seen which one will eventually end up being best but for right now it's kind of an arms race between them.  Both have made and are continuing to make serious improvements.  If either comes out with a 64-bit version, that's the way to go but neither has yet.  I expect P3D might be the first to actually do it.

Bottom line - P3D or FSX-SE are probably both good choices but if I could only have one right now it would be P3D.

You should have no problems with any of them on your new hardware.

John

EDIT:  Oh, and welcome to Mutley's Hangar, the best place on the web.

JDA

welcome to the Hangar Phil,

i have to agree with my esteem collogues above,
to add one distinction to what John said above me;
P3D is geared for the professional pilot/hobbyist; while SE is geared for home entertainment,

i am on P3Dv3, first hand... don’t waste your time with anything else,

The big question ( actually two questions) that I have are:

1) does LM charge for each new version of P3D or is it an incremental charge?

2) what about the EULA for P3D restricting it to commercial use that apparently everyone seems to sidestep?

There is a very interesting article from Coolsky on the subject of the future of flight simming and FSX vs P3D. It was written prior to P3D v3, but still has many valid points. I am sure he will update this with the advent of v3. But his reasons as to why P3D's market share has not taken off seems very sound. I think it is worth a read.

http://www.coolsky.no/blog/assorted-blogs/508-fsx-vs-p3d-the-rematch

@Phil

Hello, and welcome to the Hangar!      ^_^

Regarding your hardware, first of all — it's a great spec, and there are just a few points that I would make. First of all, 16Gb should be enough for a 32 bit program like FSX / SE/ P3Dv3 together with all the add-ons that you will end up running at the same time. (Don't forget about the extras, they add up, believe me!). When a 64 bit sim arrives, that situation might change (who knows?), so make sure that you have room to upgrade (i.e. check your motherboard and ask your supplier how many free slots are left when 16Gb is provided). Be aware, though, that sometimes adding extra memory later on voids your overclock, notably if you change the number of sticks being used....

Then there's the SSD. 1000Gb of SSD may sound like a lot (in fact it is a lot, even at current prices), but TBH I'd seriously recommend getting something like a 2Tb HD as well, and then getting into the habit from the very beginning of using that to store all the static stuff that you don't want cluttering up your expensive SSD — some scenery updates, for example, are very easily into the Gb range when you download them. Then there's videos, photos, music — all that stuff ends up taking up a lot of space, and being used seldom doesn't need the performance of an SSD. I have Windows 7 and a very large FSX installation on my C: drive (which is a 512Gb SSD), and everything else on multiple Tb of HD (see my specs, below), but YMMV.

I assume that the 1050W PSU was predicated on the basis of two graphics cards? Otherwise it seems rather a lot (but adds comparatively little to the price, and certainly does no harm, especially if you start with one but might add another graphics card later).    ;) 

As to the O/S, many would say that for FSX Windows 7 is still the best place to be, but for P3Dv3 Joe seems to be happily using Windows 10. (I'm still on W7, so can't comment).

Good luck, whatever your choice, and don't forget to let us know how you got on.    :)

@Richard

There was a lot of recent discussion about P3D license types in this thread: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/18339-which-version-of-p3d-do-you-have-and-what-made-you-choose-it/?hl=academic#entry143144

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

@Richard

There was a lot of recent discussion about P3D license types in this thread: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/18339-which-version-of-p3d-do-you-have-and-what-made-you-choose-it/?hl=academic#entry143144

Thanks for that link Brian.  So can I correctly assume that most people have chosen a Developers license, as that is where the loophole seems to be? Though at $120/year in perpetuity can add up to quite a bit of money.

For that, I assume that one gets access to latest version as it is released.

Richard you are correct about getting the latest updates, however I currently have both 2.5 & v3, the main reason is something I am involved with is not quite up to v3 yet, this means I am paying for the 2 licences at $9.95 per month. If you got the latest version you would always get the v3 updates until it changed to v4...

Wayne

Although my understanding is that when v4 comes out most people would simply cancel their developer's license for v3 and take out one for v4?

(Of course I'm skipping over the fun part, like uninstalling all your add-ons and then reinstalling them in the new version, but then we all love doing that, that's why we're flight simmers, isn't it?).     :P

Cheers,

B.

Although my understanding is that when v4 comes out most people would simply cancel your developer's license for v3 and take out one for v4?

(Of course I'm skipping over the fun part, like uninstalling all your add-ons and then reinstalling them in the new version, but then we all love doing that, that's why we're flight simmers, isn't it?).     :P

Cheers,

B.

sorry you are correct I shouldve made that clear...

Wayne

Hi Brain what I mean was I haven't down loaded Preperd3d yet

Or any add-ons ever, I have downloaded FSX Steam and a then a Piper Cheyenne from Aerosoft on my old PC after reading everything I got that right ,

I will read and reread before downloading anything

I will be using Windows 7, and I am keeping my old PC to look at

Windows 10 as I am entitled for a free upgrade on that

One last question, is there a preferred web browser I am using chrome

On my old PC thanks once again