After much deliberation decided to run the W10 upgrade on a six year old W7 laptop (Alien MX17).  Cloned the HDD before starting.  Well, install went ok as far as retaining settings went. One or two older programs not compatible but could live without them.  Took several reboots to gain some kind of stability, after the initial install.

Then the fun started.  First up, all my iTunes apps got wiped as I sat and watched, one by one, when I tried to sync my phone.  Now it was the turn of the Touchpad to play up.  The right click button became unresponsive.  A look in the Synaptics settings informed me that there were four valid installs of the device.  Fixed that only to find that the Touchpad its self was now labouring to function.  Sometimes the cursor would move, sometimes not....and yes, new driver was installed.

Edge...well what can I say.  Lets just leave it at not being cutting edge.  I could have read an article in PC Pilot. the time it took to respond to address changes.  Firefox ran ok but did not want to play with Free Download Manager, even though the plugin was active.

Needless to say, 24 hours  was enough for me.  Swapped the HDD and returned to W7.  Used the W10 HDD to clone my W7 install....life is good again.

Perhaps in another 12 to 18 months if I decide to replace my laptop, things will be more inclined to function properly, time will tell.  Have no inclination to upgrade my Sim Machine anytime soon....if it ain't broke, as they say

Thanks, Arnie,

You've further confirmed my opinion that I'll wait until I need a new PC to jump into that particular bog.  I have enough things on my plate now without deliberately taking on all that tweaking and torture.  

John

I'm with John.

What concerns me is the possibility (or, some would say, probability) that Micro$oft will use their so-called "security updates" to at some point forcibly update us to W10 whether we like it or not. Hopefully there'll be some way of stopping that happening (but in the interim, I'm seriously considering disabling Micro$oft Updates, just in case).     :huh:   (And please don't trouble to tell me that's a bad move: I'm well protected in other ways).     ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Our laptop was changed to W10 last year, and honestly its all fine, I only use it for some work related stuff and the wife browses and shops. I always use Firefox with no issues. However my Sim rig that I built is W8.1 and thats where it is staying, but thanks for sharing youe experiance with the class.....

Wayne

I am running Win 10 on all my PC's now. Admittedly they are all less than 2 years old and I have no complaints.

I found a couple of programs that didn't work after the upgrade but did after reinstallation.

Older machines are probably better off with Win 7 for the time being. Support and updates for Win 7 should be assured until Jan 14th 2020.

:D  :D  :D

Thank you -- that's exactly what I have been looking for. (I was using a couple of batch files, but wasn't too happy with either of them).

I'll be using that on all my Windows 7 machines.... er, which is actually all my Windoze machines.     :)

Thanks applied!     ^_^

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I wouldn't be too concerned about Microsoft updates automatically upgrading to Windows 10.  Afterall your licence is with Windows 7 and Microsoft probably wont be able to do anything but offer you a free upgrade,and therefore a new licence for windows 10.

Windows 7 was licensed before anyone thought of upgrading an operating system by download. Windows 10 is another beast altogether. I also think that automatic download upgrade without the PC owners permission would be a bad commercial move. MS can't test every flavour of PC out there to guarantee a successful upgrade. Over time, and with newer and more divergent windows from the one your PC originally came with would increase the risk of incompatibility.

I am sure that if an automatic OS upgrade junked your (and perhaps many others) ageing PC, Microsoft would be open to all sorts of litigation. Afterall you buy a PC and then an OS to go with it, not the otherway around.  At best this would cause a load of older PCs to move away from Windows, at worst, and probably after a court battle, MS could be tied into producing an operation system that MUST be backwardly compatible with the operating system version that introduced the auto update process. This would kill the operating system dead as the design and test parameters would be to huge and costly to undertake and make a profit. There would be a social aspect to this as well. The poor cant upgrade their PC as often as the rich, they just don't have that luxury.  This sort of upgrade policy could be seen as disadvantaging the poor and therefore discriminatory.  That's going to go to court at sometime.

The other option would be to buy the OS and get a free PC with it. Not as crazy as it may seem, with cloud storage and the right design, your PC could become a dumb client to a MS controlled server. I shudder at the very thought.

Hi John!

That's a most interesting viewpoint, thank you, but whilst I appreciate the points you are making I have to be concerned that Micro$oft has already used the mechanism of its so-called "security updates" to promote Windows 10, hence the widespread speculation that the intensity and degree of that promotion will inevitably increase. Do bear in mind the commercial reality that this is a company that can only make money if they relentlessly force upgrades on users (dare one say, regardless of the fact that the said users may be perfectly content with the version they already have). They have a certain track record in that respect....

And if the upgrade to W10 were to be forced upon users then subsequent legislation may indeed happen, but given the lethargy of legal processes it would inevitably happen far too late for all those who found themselves lumbered with W10 but who would have preferred to have remained with W7.

Hence the reason why I will be proactively attempting to circumvent any such Micro$oft knavery; but for others I suppose it all depends on how confident you are concerning the universal probity of Micro$oft's actions....      :whis:

Good luck to us all,     ;)

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

"...I wouldn't be too concerned about Microsoft updates automatically upgrading to Windows 10...."

"... automatic download upgrade without the PC owners permission would be a bad commercial move...."

They tried that about 2 or 3 months ago. I set all the comps., for "notify but don't update", the home and at the office too. The office one-s are W7, at home i have 8.1. At that time, i got the notification that update is awailable. I check for the important ones, all good, thought that i should check the optional ones too. And there she is...about 8-9 optional updates , all with clear check boxes, but there is "upgrade to win 10", with the box checked. Same for the home 8.1. Who was set for automatic update(recommended by MS), become a happy win 10 user-without asking.

They pulled it out after a day or two, saying that it was a mistake, but that is just one example of the MS-way of thinking.

And i'm still curious, why they are so desperate to force the whole planet to use their "thing".

<grin>  interesting "mistake", though, wasn't it?     :P

> "...I'm still curious, why they are so desperate to force the whole planet to use their 'thing'."

Their 'thing' being W10? Well to discover the truth about that you'd have to ask someone at Micro$oft who would be honest with you (good luck with that), but FWIW I gave you my suggestion above —

"....the commercial reality that this is a company that can only make money if they relentlessly force upgrades on users (dare one say, regardless of the fact that the said users may be perfectly content with the version they already have)."

But that's just my wild guess, of course: I could be totally wrong.     :cool:

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

It's an interesting conundrum isn't it. Ms need to make sales to keep going but the need to upgrade a pc is flagging. 90% of pcs are in offices and are more than capable of doing there work without any need to upgrade. It is the gaming market which demands faster and newer pcs.Thats a small market and not one that can justify the R&D costs of ever faster pcs.

MS, Intel and Apple must be desperate to invent new markets and create new demand.

A very handy Tool to keep W10 and its lures off your machine.  It is free but well worth a donation,  it gets regular updates as  MS change their tactics.  I have been using it for several months now. ...GWX Control Panel, see below:-

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads

Thanks Arnie, that is a nifty little tool and after my hellish experience with Windows 10 just what I needed.

Mike

Regarding GWX — this may or may not be relevant on other people's systems but....

I implemented the GWX Control Panel and set everything to be protected, but still allowed notifications (but not downloads and certainly not installs) of Micro$oft updates. The following day I had notifications of many updates, so after weeding out (hiding, not simply unchecking) the ones I didn't want, I let it rip.

The update process ran until it started the so-called "Malicious Software Removal" tool, which took about 40% CPU and hammered my C: drive for over half an hour before I killed it. So in future I'll be hiding the Malicious Tool, as well.    :censored:

I mention this just in case anyone else experiences the same issue (it could, of course, be sheer coincidence that I'd just installed GWX).

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

Have always had Windows Updates turned off on all my machines.....for years.

Prefer to check them myself on the second Tuesday of the month, or later.  And yes, the Malicious Software Removal Tool does take forever sometimes, well, most times really.

• 2 weeks later...