Dovetail Games presents the flight simulators of the future

I didn't expect a backlash from a negative comment regarding FPS games...but, ok...I'll take it....and offer some more opportunity to trash me as I attempt to clarify some points :D

I guess I am a judgmental F**k...because I think that Shooting People is a lesser quality of entertainment than learning a useful skill that can transfer to RL, and doesn't necessarily involve shooting people (although the combat flight sim genre could fill that role if you Must shoot someone to have fun...and there isn't quite as much blood and gore involved, at least not graphic bloodyness).

Perhaps someone could explain the Fun Factor in Shooting People? Because I seriously Do Not Get It. Am I some un-evolved gamer/human that can't "understand" the appeal of ambushing people in dark alleys and shooting them full of lead and/or lazers? Please enlighten me, because I fear that I might be missing out on something that millions of Hominids and Humans have enjoyed since long before Civilization found new and more efficient ways to have that kind of fun. Apparently that kind of gaming extends into real life fun because shooting people seems to be fairly common out here too...another thing I can't understand, how someone can point an actual death device at another person then activate the device...insanity. Is it a lack of imagination, can't people imagine what it would be like if someone shot them? Are they unable to imagine that other people like their lives too, and want them to go an also? Or do they have extremely hyper active imaginations that believe their lives are more important than the life of the guy in their gun-sights?  :(

Regarding "Muscle Memory"...I guess the Mouse Comment showed Tony missed that point completely...the point was to highlight the similarity between using a "FS Yoke" and a "RL Yoke" and the fact that skills learned using the former will transfer to the later...I doubt that anyone's Mouse Skills will serve them well if they find an AR-15 in their hands.

Regarding Youngsters helping with technical hurdles...I bet your children, grandkids, and/or neighbor kids could help you tweak your graphics and mouse setting, without having to "virtually shoot them" to get their attention/help. :D

Ok...shoot back at me...and have fun with it :).

Although I came to FSX through years of air combat sims ( the whole Microprose stuff of the 90s, Falcon 4.0, IL2 and lately WW1 air combat sims ) I'm in no way a monomaniac and I spend a lot of time playing other games, mainly historical tactical/strategy games of the "Total War" series and WW2 "Combat Mission"  ( I played historical wargames with figurines before personal computers ). 

Also play fictional ones, I'm having a blast these last days playing XCom 2 and shooting some aliens !   Also playing Blood Bowl 2 tournaments !  :)

Back to the original topic I'm personnally in "wait and see" stance with no hurry as my FSX works fine for the time being. I will take a decision later  ( at least a year from now ) once this new sim is released and tested. May be in the meantime P3D will have a stable version, preferably 64 bits and there will be a choice to make ? One important thing for me would be the possibility to use the sceneries I already have bought without having to buy everything new. ( may be buying updates ? )

If this gets all too expensive, I might just stop the whole damn thing and start playing FPS !  :D

@Captain Coffee,

you seem to have missed my few points or at least taken those points in the wrong vain, the guys who helped me out when needed could not be classed as kids at Plus 40 where I am plus 60, but no back lash and no offence intended in the first instance.

I may be better off going back into my Bat Cave so this topic can get back on track.

Kind regards

Tony.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone could explain the Fun Factor in Shooting People? Because I seriously Do Not Get It.

When I played first person shooters, I did not see the virtual people in these games as real human beings. I saw them as obstacles to progression. Nothing more. To be honest, I have became bored of the "shooter" part of first person shooters in recent years. I prefer to avoid combat whenever possible, but that isn't particularly because I had a problem shooting virtual people. It's simply because having to shoot stuff every five seconds is annoying. I like to have the time to survey my surroundings, and make decisions. The stealth approach is a much better alternative for me, and is actually a lot more fun. That is one of the reasons why I consider the original Deus Ex to be one of the best first person games ever made. Whilst I couldn't avoid combat entirely, I did so whenever possible.

For the record, I have just started playing a game called Firewatch. This is a first person game that (at first glance) doesn't have any weapons in it at all....and that is fine by me :)

Hi all

Let's see what the new flight sim looks like when released later in the year by dtg.it may surprise us all.we have been wating for a long time for a new flight sim to cone out.let's see what the finished product looks like.let's not for get fsx was made by Microsoft.let's see if dtg can match or do even better.let's comment on the product when it gets released and share our comments then.once we get more information and videos of the new flight sim.not flight school but the big release later in the year.

Just been reading about FSXSE -Premium...this includes...A2A 3d lights redux...A2A Accufeel...ORBX FTXtrees... Fs2Crew RAAS Professional and REX Texture Direct 4...doeznt say the price but points to FSXinsider......go there its nearly £60....its just a bundle with these as DLC but the way it looked to me it sounded like an upgraded version of FSX...not sure of the costs of these addons so it may be a good deal...

• Like 1