Would you like another ATWC this winter?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like another ATWC this winter?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

concr.jpg

Now the summer is over I am thinking of starting another challenge if we get enough interest?

Essentially it will be similar to the last one but we will traverse the globe in the opposite direction.

We have a tried and tested formula from the last challenge which we can use again.

If John and Dave are in as controllers then it's looking good.

Any takers?

If it was a yes then I would expect to start it mid/late October depending on how quickly I can get the background stuff done.

Vote here!

Thanks for your comments Gareth this is the sort of feedback we want.

We had thought about a different format but wondered if it had the "legs" to stay the course?

If anyone has any ideas on a different format then we are interested to hear, just post it here.

Cheers

I would be very interested, seeing as I missed out on the last one, perhaps it could be aircraft themed, so for example the European segment could be European aircraft only, or to be even more specific, an aircraft from the country you are departing. So, if you were leaving EGCC for example, you could choose Concorde, or if you were leaving Italy, you could have a Piaggo P.18-=0.

Heh its funny how so many always come out with so many different ways to do the same thing :mrhappy: The problem with giving it a distinct theme ie airliners, is if you dont like airliners it aint much fun. The one thing that caught my attention with the origional ATWC was its diversity in choice of craft that people flew.

So anyway heres an idea for you, a simple around the world challenge pretty much as its always been done but each leg has a date in time for your aircraft. Maybe start at the begining of flight working through the years till towards the end of the challenge your up to modern times. For each leg you could choose any aircraft that represents the year your assigned. Obviously early flights would be a little shorter than later flights could be.

One other thing to allow for each persons scenery library, maybe give a general destination say Chicago, then let that person choose a destination field to suit his aircraft and the next leg flyer to choose his departure point. Obviously not going to far a field otherwise there would not be much point but without doubt there would be some better screenshots than when stuck with a default field with no scenery avaliable. Giving a choice of field adds a little to the realism as some major hubs don't see much GA or Military for example.

Anyhoo, just an idea :dance2:

steve

It's definatly a yes for me!

I agree with all of you, but for CAA330, some of us like me, only have A/C from say France, Britian and America, so flying from Italy would be a problem.

I loved the ATWC and I would love for it to stay the same, but if it changes, I'll still be in!

It also helped me to flying to/from airports which I've never flown to/from in FS

Kieran

There have been some great suggestions so far, I like the aircraft from the region idea from CAA330 but I anticipate we would fly through regions where we would be hard pressed to keep to this up.

Steve's idea is very creative too it would certainly throw up some interesting aircraft although the scenery isn't the be all and end all, there is plenty of freeware scenery out there and I know a lot of us had great fun in sourcing the scenery for our flights.

How about one of these routes? http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/feature ... anderlust/ Say "around the world in 80 days" route or the Amelia Earhart route or a combination of the smaller expeditions? With the smaller expeditions - Orient Express / Northwest passage / Pan Am highway / Marco Polo etc we could have link flights to join them together using airliners, that way we are all happy?

The other alternative could be real world flights? these would accommodate the airliner / regional airliner pilots but no so much for GA. We could use scheduled flights between main destinations and GA for sightseeing/ excursions to smaller airfields? This pretty much follows what we did before.

Any comments?

I like the idea of following real world scheduled flights around the world....but to accomodate the GA lovers why dont we adopt a cruise holiday approach....allow me to explain. We fly real world schedules around the world but when we fly to an area of interest we stop off on the tour and GA guys are set a task to show us around the place...landmarks, places of great scenery, unusual approaches and aiports for instance. Once they have returned back to the aiport the commercial guys would take the baton on again on another scheduled flight. Just an idea

CaptHill

Well, the long winter nights are approaching (And the need for appropriate under-wear, too? - Ed) so a return to the ATWC, or near equivalent, is an excellent idea, Boss! :mrhappy:

Steve's variation sound's good to me - we do need a structural 'back-bone' to the tour but having a bit of flexibility at various stages would suit those of us who don't spend all their time in 'tubes'. No offence, I like the heavies, but my airline flying is somewhat rudimentary.... And we can bring out some of the more interesting 'local' detail of the area, and possibly a bit of story-telling ....... :thum:

As to whether we go Eastward or Westward - well, we could do a Palin and go over the Poles?! Whatever - Over to you, Mr Starter! :cool:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hey, I want in, just tell when and where and I am there. :cool:

As for idea about the script, I like the idea of the heavies flying us to a destination along the route and then us GA guys taking us on a local tour of the country side, that gives every one a space to be a part of the ATWC.

Lets go, aw come on lets go now, my feet are itching :eyebrow:

• 2 years later...

How about adding some spice and throwing something unexpected at a pilot before a leg? You wouldn't do it every leg, to keep people guessing. So, for example, in the Swiss Alps, you can set an altitude restriction, forcing the pilot to find a way through the mountains. Or, having to complete a leg in a certain amount of time?

Or, we can shamelessly rip-off TopGear and for every leg you fly, you have to include a review. After all, how hard can it be? :D

Hi CSoul,

If you notice in the post immediately before yours, it was posted in 2008.

At the moment there is no mention of another ATWC. That's not to say there isn't going to be one later this year.

Just thought I'd point out that you were replying to an old thread.

Cheers

Brian aka Needles

• 2 weeks later...

What about an AWTC where every country in the world is visited. Have a lottery to assign countries to people and then you go from person to person, some routes would be very short and others would be longer, something for both the GA and the Tubeliner crowd...

EDIT: I just realized and read the replys above mine... but I'll throw this out anyway

That would be the ultimate ATWC. Incidentally I designed such a trip a few years back from somone at my VA, they did the whole thing in the C208.

The main problem we have with the ATWC is that the enthusiasm tails off after the first few months and it starts to drag on a bit. Visiting every country probably wouldn't be sensible in all honesty