Saitek Trimwheel issue

Just thought I would post this to see if anyone else has had this issue and if you solved it.

The Saitek trimwheel once used in my instal of P3Dv3 causes my mouse cursor to dissapear and I get a bleeping sound, only way out is task manager to shut down app then hard reset.......I have done a few test flight and not used wheel and it doesnt happen.

I saw similar postings on Avsim and P3D forums but couldnt really get how they had solved it.....someone said they bought a go flight trim panel but they are about 3150-£200 so that's a nonstarter.....I guess I will use the wheel on the AP panel but it is not as good.

I just downloaded Saitek drivers but not installed them yet as I have never had the need..... I use SPAD for the panels.......I like the trim wheel as its big and actually does its job really well.

I have only recently started powering the PC down fully instead of using sleep mode so maybe the PC has an issues with recognising it.....I have also gone through all the USB setting so there is no powersaving whilst its on.....some posts said plug into the Yoke however I dont have the space to keep the yoke in situ so cant do that....

In XP10.50 the trimwheel has not been set up yet so cant report on that.......

I suppose its not that big an issue as I can use other wheel or manipulate on screen but it means I just cant use it so its a waste now.......

Wayne

Not an issue I've seen with my Saitek Trim Wheel... But I'm running with Saiteks drivers.

It does seem to need to re-initialize itself once I've loaded my flight though.. At first nothing happens when I move it, then I get the windows sound indicating that Windows have found new hardware, and voila it works in FSX... at least on most planes.. Can't get it to function at all in the PMDG NGX or the FSLabs A320.

In the NGX turning the wheel will always produce nose up trim regardless of the direction I turn the wheel, and in the FSLabs A320 I get no response at all in the sim :stars:

I had the same problem in P3D (not in FSX). Turning the trim in P3D resulted in complete loss of the mouse cursor and only a hard re-boot brought the cursor back.

I'm using Win7 and a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel. The trim wheel is plugged in to one of the USB ports on the side of the yoke. I NEVER change the USB setup, ie: never plug the various USB cables in to different ports. The one USB cable from the controls to the computer is plugged in to a USB 2 port - not a USB 3 port, this is evidently important. I have no evidence to the contrary as I took the advice and never tried the USB3 ports.

You might look into Joe's suggestion to download new drivers. As our systems are all different, no single piece of advice will be your panacea. If that does not work .................

All of my efforts boiled down to: uninstall the Saitek Driver and go with the generic Win7 one. Various forums discuss disabling sleep mode, disabling power saving on USB ports, etc, etc. I did all those things as well. Didn't seem to be any harm in it. Other suggestions included; turning the trim wheel on computer startup until Windows recognise it, then loading P3D, however that did not work for me

I don't know how it happened, but the Saitek driver "returned". A few days ago, I fired up P3D (something I rarely do anymore) to test a freeware aircraft advertised as usable in both sims. After the cursor crash and hard reset, I went in to the Win7 "Devices and Printers" routine and uninstalled the Saitek Driver. This solved the problem right away. Sorry, I didn't note the driver version.

15 minutes ago, Corsaire31 said:

I'm using a Saitek Trim Wheel with Windows 7 and no issue, only need to move it up and down a few times once I'm in the FSX cockpit to get the bell sound indicating it's working.

That is exactly what happens with mine - works a treat in FSX regardless of which driver is installed. P3D, on the other hand, is not so tolerant.

Thanks for the replys...I have tried most things you mentioned... Joes link to win10 drivers seemed to have sorted it.. one thing after another lately... had a random CTD yesterday in P3D..blurry scenery over Wales then CTD.. I use orbx vector global eulc and wales so not sure if thats why... dont get any of these issues currently in XP....was wondering wether to just delet .cfg and P3D rebuild.. I havent tweaked the .cfg though so not sure... dont get much time to fly and when I do looks like I am sorring stuff out...wonder if just reformat tvat drive chase down any registry entries and start over...bit drastic though...

On 12/09/2016 at 08:24, Quickmarch said:

clip....

I don't know how it happened, but the Saitek driver "returned". A few days ago, I fired up P3D (something I rarely do anymore) to test a freeware aircraft advertised as usable in both sims. After the cursor crash and hard reset, I went in to the Win7 "Devices and Printers" routine and uninstalled the Saitek Driver. This solved the problem right away. Sorry, I didn't note the driver version.

Sort of an update on this: This morning I booted the FSX/P3D computer and was presented with the (way too often seen) "Updates are ready for your computer" message. Lo and behold there was an 'optional' one. The optional one is a driver update for the Saitek Trim Wheel.

That will explain where the driver came from that was messing up my P3D mouse. Gives me a 'heads up' to be far more diligent about researching 'updates' before installing them.

It is interesting to see that the Win10 drivers are working for the Trim Wheel. Gives me a warm, fuzzy, feeling about the inevitable switch to Win10.

• Like 1

Deleted .cfg and let rebuild.. all seems stable... more testing needed but I believe blurries only in england and wales where I have ORBX region.... cant see how to delete them and test though...

I shut PC down fully all the time now just a habit I got into.....was running fine... I did change onr thing recently so I will revert that back and see how it goes....

I rarely look at what updates are but after your post John I will check more...

Thanks for the help guys....

Seems to be sorted now... trim works as should.

Ref blurries I recently changed a setting in Nvidia Control Panel... this gave me a boost in fps but made things blurry after about 10mins flying.... undone the change and tested last night in england and wales and all was restored... I did delete .cfg and let it build new but I dont edit that in P3D so all was fine there...

Thanks all for helping with both issues...