I've been doing a bit of research on MH this afternoon. Still haven't found an answer, so I thought I might appeal to the collective wisdom:

Problem: Every once in a while the default FSX ATC gets into (what appears to be) an unstoppable loop. here's how it goes - 

JKM climb and maintain 8,000

JKM descend and maintain 7,000

JKM descend and maintain 7,000

Usually I don't let it go quite this far. I request higher (go for a big one, like +5,000). ATC will always grant your wish.

After a suitable time, most of which is accounted for by getting 5,000 feet higher, the loop starts again.

JKM climb and maintain 13,000

JKM descend and maintain 12,000

JKM climb and maintain 13,000

JKM descend and maintain 12,000

At this point, I cancel IFR and work it out for myself. Not too bad if the WX is reasonable, but it sure is a PITA on an AH flight into meteorological mahem. Especially if there's any stuffed clouds ahead. 

Have any of you worked out how to shake these guys?

I have far better ATC software loaded on my computer but I'm trying to use strictly stock (default) FSX weather, aircraft, and ATC for my AH flying. Sort of a hedge against problems that terminate an AH flight out in left field. This is not an AH issue as far as I can see. ATC does this to me without AH in the loop from time to time.

Thoughts?

No solution or hint where to look, just commiseration and comments.

Air Terrain Clearance :P

This, and vectoring me 15 miles past my destination in a light GA, are the top two reasons I cancel IFR in FSX. :)

Also the occasional asking me to fly 15,000 in an un-pressurized light GA when I already have more than enough clearance...or could avoid terrain with a simple 10 degree heading change. FU-ATC. Confirm FU. FU Confirmed.

Edited by Captain Coffee
9 hours ago, brett said:

No fix that I know of, I just cancel IFR as you did and restart when I get close to the destination.

Pretty much what I've been doing. Works OK if you're in the clear (VFR on top). It's a bu**er if you're flying a Beaver at 10K in 100/1.

Billy Suggers!

Haven't had it re-occur, yet.

If I'm facing IMC at or approaching the destination, I re-file and ATC picks up the ball.

Often this is as simple as choosing 'Flight Following' and then requesting a specific runway (usually after getting the ATIS). This will generate pattern-entry instructions and landing clearance.

• Like 1