Just looking through the forum, I see that Red Barron has a new job!!  Congratulations!!!  :thum:

Some people mentioned about the perfect job, so let's open things up and let me ask.....

'What would be your perfect job....'?

Me...?  Well, I like photography and taking photos of planes, so a job such as Jamie Hunter's taking photos of plane's in action, while in the back of another plane would be high on my list!!  Guess my health would prevent that, but one can dream....!! :mellow:

Maybe travelling the world to take photos of planes from the ground would be more realistic....?

Martin  :D

I have my perfect job and it involves a regular 12 to 15 hour day, 7 days a week. It's called retirement and flight simming (with a bit of other gaming) every day.

The only downside to this perfect job is there are no weekends, no public holidays, no sick days, no annual leave, and certainly no long service leave. A rather big price to pay for the perfect job but I can live with it. :dance3: :cool:

I liked to build things as a kid and became a carpenter as an adult. It was not an easy job dealing with weather from cold to hot and even in the rain, which I always hated, it was most times a dirty job but I loved to see a project come together to fruition knowing myself or along with others had built something tangible. There was always a certain kind of satisfaction it that and the plus side was that it also paid the bills. Not sure if it was perfect job, if in fact there is such a thing, but it was a job I strived for and enjoyed so I would call it a fulfilling job.:)

Now my Dream Job would be different, I would be a Bush Pilot anywhere it's always 70-75 degrees.:D

• Like 1

I spend my days designing software for the UK electricity industry. If you had asked me what my dream job would be when I was a teenager I would have probably described the job I do now.  Things change and now I  am looking forward to my next job which will be something on the lines of Andrews current job. Sadly I haven't the qualifications yet, I am working on it, but the exam date seems to get pushed back again and again!

• Like 1

I enjoyed my time working for my sister's company, an air charter company out of EGHI. We were based airside and were on good terms with all the airport staff and I got to fly to airfields in northern Europe and Ireland as part of the job. The pay was crap but the perks were good.

Now I work for a software company too, and on countdown to retirement, with the same problems as JG, they keep extending the minimum state retirement age. grrrr!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent 10 years in the British Merchant Navy as a marine engineer, then spent many years doing marine engine maintenance ashore. Then moved into Mine power stations doing the same thing. Spent the last 7 years before retirement working for Lockheed Martin, doing engine maintenance and operations at the Jindalee TX and RX Over the Horizon Radar stations in Western Australia. Best job I ever had. Fly in Fly out from Perth, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Added up to 195 flights altogether, with Skippers Aviation. The first flights were with Fairchild Metro's, very cramped, then they started using Brasilia's, and finally Dash 8's.

Now that I am retired, I seem to spend more time building things for my sim, than doing any flying. 

• Like 1

I had my perfect job just after leaving school when I joined the Merchant Navy. I loved every minute of it and all was well, until a rather inconvenient war, (between Iraq and Iran) closed off the Persian Gulf, forcing BP shed 600 crew. Then I did long distance truck driving for several years, being away from home for several days at a time. No EU rules and regs back then and Tachos were easy to beat. Much  later I drove crew transfer coaches at Heathrow and Gatwick. I could get right up close and personal with all the aircraft and had clearance to reach every part of the airports.

Now medically retired sadly, however there are two jobs that I would love to have done but never did. First I would liked to have been a Railway Signalman on one of the rural branch lines that we had before Dr Beeching scrapped most of them. Secondly I would like to have been a Lighthouse Keeper. Again a job that no longer exists as all of ours are unmanned these days, (and besides which I wouldn't be able to manage the stairs now!) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dogtrack said:

You & me both, Alan.  Longships or Wolf Rock would have been right up my street for the ideal Lighthouse.

I always like that short arse one with an attached cottage that they used in Fraggle Rock! 

• Like 1