Sea Vixen belly landing.

Just found out myself on another website.  :wacko2:  Very sad that it crashed, but hopefully it will fly again as the damage does not look too bad.  Great flying skills shown by the pilot. :thum:

By the way, where is 'Doxford' (as spelt in the newspaper  report) ?? :P

Martin

(A big fan of Foxy Lady)

• Like 2

Hate to see any plane crash but when you see the older birds crash it hurts just that little bit more. Hope they can get it up and flying again soonest.

• Like 1

Very sad.  As Brett says it is a sad day when you see an old bird crash, there are such a rare sight.  I hope the air frame isn't too badly damaged but personally I wouldn't hold out much hope, any wheels up landing is going to stress parts that shouldn't be. I remember reading of a minor ground collision between a Vicars Viscount and another smaller aircraft.  Because of where and how it hit, the Viscount was written off.  

Edited by J G
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, J G said:

I remember reading of a minor ground collision between a Vicars Viscount and another smaller aircraft.  Because of where and how it hit, the Viscount was written off.  

If it's the one I think you're referring to, I saw that happen! It was around 1970 at Heathrow. A light aircraft was just landing having been preceded by a then very new B747. At the time no-one had realised the separation needed behind one of those things was a lot more than the older jets. As the little single engined job touched down the 747s exhaust wake blew him right off the runway and he finished up stuck underneath a BEA Viscount that was parked outside their maintenance area. adjacent to 28R. I was on the Queens Building viewing area with some mates aircraft spotting and we all saw it happen!  A few weeks after that another light aircraft was following another 747 in and hit the jet wash, he was blown all over the sky and only the pilots skill saved him from crashing. It was not long after that they decided that the light aircraft which were normally parked outside the Hunting Clan Hangar on southside would have to go as their presence was likely to cause even more problems as more wide-body, big engined aircraft came into service. Another problem that had come to light, especially for the B747 crews was if they were following a light aircraft on the taxiway, a lot of the time the crew could easily lose sight of it from the lofty perch on top of the Jumbo. Huntings old hagar stood where Terminal 4 now sits. 

354258_19a9816b.jpg

Edited by dodgy-alan
  • Like 1