Is Google Always Listening

Google, FaceBook, Twitter - not to be trusted. 

Not so sure MS is any better but at least they have a revenue stream other than selling your personal information to advertisers, political parties and others who want it.

John

they are all up to it, and in the UK for sure you are captured on CCTV all the time.........I have found that I can google something on my phone then when I go on PC it advertises stuff I was looking at on the phone... I assume it's because I use the same email on both.......lots of things you have in the home and modern cars have the ability to 'listen' to us, I think the issue is how they use that info.......unless you go live on an island and have no internet or mobile you aint getting away from it........

Much easier for them to extract "intelligence" from digital data as opposed to voice pickup, though that can and is done too.  It's a pretty safe assumption that ANYTHING you put in an e-mail, text, on-line post, chat room, etc. is being logged and saved by someone, probably several someones.  In most cases, they are after your preferences, buying habits, financial status, etc. for the purposes of targeted advertising, but there are some more nefarious things going on too.

John

I always use a (paid for) VPN. I say 'paid for' because you get what you pay for. The free ones are slower than the second coming.

My experiment was to go on line looking for an airline flight. All the advertising started to reflect that search, as well as hotel and rental cars ads, and the price kept going up. I connected over the VPN and started finding flights at or around the original pricing - and no targeted advertising.

There is a small down side; when you're shopping online you get area-specific websites based on your VPN location. Not a big problem because once you actually make your choice, you can search for the nearest store to your actual location. I use a VPN in Vancouver. I live in Victoria. Same pricing.

Oh yeah! Besides putting tape over the lens of the laptop camera, I'm going to put a piece of foam tape over the mic.

Edited by Quickmarch
added bit about tape

I have no microphone on my computer, just one on my cordless headset, which stays off unless I am recording a video. I only use the headset at all for a TrackIR holder the rest of the time.

My phone however probably listens to me sing parodies and curse shitty drivers, and randomly laugh at some lame joke I just thought of...sucks to be my phone. Wonder if Siri or that Amazon Tower thing learned to random maniacal laugh the same way...listening to all the people who have those things laughing randomly at their own inner dialogs.

Lt. Capt Coffee.

Thrush PAC unit. 

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't do social media but it looks like social media is doing me. 

If this is true then surely this is a gross invasion of your privacy?

I will try the test made in the video and see what happens......

…… I duplicated the tests but spoke a while about fish tanks. I have no pet fish and am never going to have any so it is not something I have ever spoken about before.  The result? No change in ads.  I can state the following:

1. My microphone may not be working.
  2. Fish tanks are too boring for Google to react to.
  3. Google is not listening. 

However, there seemed to be a disproportionate number of adds for:

• The RAF benevolent fund
  • Trainers

I don't like or have any trainers, perhaps Google thinks I should. The RAF add was a bit creepy but that probably came from my searches on Google rather from my voice 

Edited by J G
Add test results.