It sure is Fred,

I think I am going to do a disk re-org and install a new drive just for flight sim.

I need to download the RTW version of the SP but understand it's not a great deal different than the beta4.

I've Merged MartinW's post in the general forum with this one to keep it all together :mrhappy:

Yes I know you posted yours first Uncle Martin but it was in the wrong forum :rofl

Cheers

Let's also hope that now the SP and SDK has been released and is not likely to change until the Autumn, that all the developers that were holding off for the SP now get cracking with their updates and releases of new software.

Cheers

Okay, went and did it today (dont ask my why...)

EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTHLY! :mrhappy:

Heres what i did...

1 - Uninstalled Addons

2 - Uninstalled FSX (including EVERYTHING left over in the folder)

3 - Disc Defrag

4 - Installed FSX

5 - Installed SP1

6 - Installed latest DX9 Updates

7 - Installed Latest Graphics Drivers

8 - Disc Defrag

And i restarted between every step.

First indications show im getting an easy 17fps locked...

...over SEATTLE. Whereas before i was getting 7fps. That, if my maths isnt wrong is over a 100% performance increase.

Im yet to test it properly (and now off to fly in FS9 to check everything is still OK there) but will let you know what i find this saturday.

So far VERY happy. :yes:

I would have liked to have an entire hardrive wipe, but thats going to be a while before i get the chance.

Once I know whats happening in FSX I will start installing addons.

Hey you FS gurus! I want to upgrade from FSX standard to 'de-luxe' pretty soon - should I bother with SP1 until I've done this? Have any of you got any pointers for installing FSX de luxe after the standard FSX. Worst case, I could follow Fred's posted procedure for both standard ---> de luxe and then SP1.....

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have - and for your time. :mrhappy:

Cheers - Dai. :yes:

Yes I know you posted yours first Uncle Martin but it was in the wrong forum

:doh I wondered were that had gone you putrid piece of doggy doings.

I've a good mind to say a naughty word or two. :sad:

I will let you off, as long as you promise not to tell the guys over at Just Flight about my misdemeanour or I'll never hear the last of it. :yes:

Any way, I know why you did it... it was because you had no idea at all what 'delectation' meant. :rofl

That’s because you're only a dog and dogs have very small brains. :yes:

I'm getting 50% improvement in FPS by the way, 50 plus FPS on the runway at KSEA with fairly high settings. :mrhappy:

Hey you FS gurus! I want to upgrade from FSX standard to 'de-luxe' pretty soon - should I bother with SP1 until I've done this? Have any of you got any pointers for installing FSX de luxe after the standard FSX. Worst case, I could follow Fred's posted procedure for both standard ---> de luxe and then SP1.....

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have - and for your time. :mrhappy:

Cheers - Dai. :yes:

I would install SP1 Dave, you'll get a substantial increase in FPS and it will only cost you time, so why not.

As for switching to Deluxe, then you will have to uninstall the standard version.

My advice would be to uninstall all add-ons first, then uninstall the sim by inserting disc 1 and clicking remove. As Fred said, some files will be left behind so delete those, then defrag your drive install Deluxe followed by the update.

Some do recommend defragging again after installation but I have never found this necessary.

That's ok Dai, my pleasure.

(Why have MartinW on the team and do the hard work yourself? :mrhappy: )

Anyway Martin,

you had no idea at all what 'delectation' meant.

I was forced to watch "The Good Old Days" too!

Cheers

:-) That’s right Mut, that was the first place I heard it too, used to hate watching it, waiting for my parents to finish and then bugger off somewhere else so I could watch telly. :mrhappy:

Sorry, Joe - thanks Martyn :!: My brian not engaged, as usual.... With that in mind, the de-luxe switch and SP1 upgrade look like being fun, I said look like etc etc.......

Cheers - Dai. :mrhappy:

Living in Wales, David knows the proper way to spell Martyn!

Martin...how common :mrhappy:

I also know the correct spelling of Martyn - its my middle name, so despise seeing it spelt wrongly.