July: Magnificent Men in their flying machines!

Thanks to Simi for this suggestion. I would like to see aircraft of the early 20th century, lets say pre-1920.

It can be civil or military fixed wing or whatever so long as it is a tribute to our pioneering aviation past.

Good luck, this is a toughy faint.gif

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh god, what have i let myself in for.....AVSim is still down, SimViation is lain thin to nil with vintage stuff...hmm, some digging required for this one!

Ok! I have increased the date to pre-1933 that should open the door to a few more classics!

oh god, what have i let myself in for.....AVSim is still down, SimViation is lain thin to nil with vintage stuff...hmm, some digging required for this one!

Ok! I have increased the date to pre-1933 that should open the door to a few more classics!

Mut, no need...there's tons out there! A bit of digging and i found a large number on SimViation, FSField and more!!...i'd say its safe to return it to pre-1920s.....really, there's loads!

Any chance of pre-1934, Boss? 1933 was an important year for one of my favourites - the Houston-Everest Fly-over (Not to be confused with the Hammer-Smith Fly-over - Ed)? :thumbup:

Cheers - Dai. :thum:

:thum:

Ok, sorry Dai, we will go back to our original plan, pre-1920's at least we get WWI aircraft!

... no more changes!

Cheers

Really sorry Dai, maybe we could have a 'Golden Years' comp soon to include all aircraft from 1930 thru 1950, thoughts Mut?....

As for this month however, to save a few of the gents from dropping out, i think i'll step in and lend a hand to our fellow Hangars-on and post the links to the best sources:

FSField Vintage - a very good number here, and lots of variation in dated pre 1920's... just need to dig :thumbup:

SimViation Vintage - takes some sifting of the 100+ pages, but trust me, there's LOADS here!!

FlyAwaySim Vintage - plenty here too if you look.

and these might help with identifying pre-1920's aircraft...

The Aerodrome

Historic Aircraft Pictures

Hello

I have an aircraft that was built in 1925, would this be allowed

Ed, if you really want to use it, then it's the boss' decision, but there's plenty over at the links i posted above, i have downloaded just 20 of the 50+ i found, so I'm quite sure you could find a substitute if the boss says no....

Hello

I have an aircraft that was built in 1925, would this be allowed

As simi said I wouldn't of thought so but Mut will confirm.

I beleive that it is only pre 20's so nothing after 1920 I am afraide. I am sturugling to find anything. Somebody got a link?

Ed, if you really want to use it, then it's the boss' decision, but there's plenty over at the links i posted above, i have downloaded just 20 of the 50+ i found, so I'm quite sure you could find a substitute if the boss says no....

I know, thats why I posted the question, I'll wait for Joe to answer

Hi guys,

Joe did say:

Ok, sorry Dai, we will go back to our original plan, pre-1920's at least we get WWI aircraft!

... no more changes!

So I think it's going to have to be pre 1920! Simi posted a whole bunch of links for anyone to use :thanks:

I beleive that it is only pre 20's so nothing after 1920 I am afraide. I am sturugling to find anything. Somebody got a link?

try these TRB, like i posted above, you'll need to look through the pages, but i got LOADS from these 3 sites

FSField Vintage - a very good number here, and lots of variation in dated pre 1920's... the first one i found is on page 2, where the link goes...for the rest you'll just need to dig :thanks:

SimViation Vintage - it certainly takes a bit of sifting through some of the 100+ pages, but trust me, there's LOADS here, even from the 1st page!!

FlyAwaySim Vintage - plenty here too if you look, again there's one or two on the first couple of pages.

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the late (ish) response.

We have to stick to the pre-1920 rule otherwise there would be no point in setting a date, I have already had to let some-one else down, sorry.

Simi has provided a couple of great links and this competition is set to test your investigation skills too!

Good luck Ed (and all)

okay guys, heres my entries.

first off , the Wright flyer,ssen here over Kitty Hawk

kittyhawkflyer.jpg

then we have the De Havilland 16, entered service in 1919, made the first ever commercial airline flight from Hounslow Aerodrome to Paris

DH16overblackpool.jpg

finally the Vickers Vimy Commercial, used the wings and engines of the bomber mated to a new fuselage.first flew 13/4/1919.

vimyoverthepyramids.jpg

My first pic.fs9 unedited. Vickers FB.27A Vimy year was 1919 Alcock and Brown's First Transatlantic Crossing from Newfoundland to Ireland. Passing a square rigger bound for England. This was the start of something Bigfs92009-07-0814-44-48-56.jpg

Well, i posted the links above and spent ages digging through the pages, so i best get my entries in, and to prove there's a good few out there, i'll be posting my 3 main entries here (subject to replacement when i feel the need), and will post the others i found a new thread later!

Starting off, screaming vintage aviation at the top of its voice, dating from 1848 (yes, BEFORE even Wilbur and Orville Wright's Kitty Hawk), designed and patented by British aviation pioneers Mr. William Henson and Mr. John Stringfellow, gentlemen, I give you the "Aerial Steam Carriage":

hensonAirel1842.jpg

Our next contender, and a model from across the English Channel, a beautiful specimen designed by L