Hi, I am UKJim :)

I stumbled across this site looking for mods etc - and I liked it so much I had to join the forums.

I always say a quick welcome before I start posting just so people know where I am from etc so here it goes...

I am from the Midlands in the UK, I'm 27 and I play FSX with REX 2.0 addon. I have no experience flying in the real world and very little experience in the sims too :) But I am trying.

I have been playing with the smaller single prop planes default in FSX with the realism pretty much set to easy :)

After reading some of your reviews on here I have got some addons that got good scores - e.g. spitfire and b-17 with the accusim addon. Jumped in and cannot even start the spitfire (I think it is the realism settings getting in the way)

I did however manage to start the cub with accusim and take off by putting everything to as real as it gets in the settings - all good and well but there must have been a side wind as I started to drift to the left :)

I use a logitech Attack 3 joystick so nothing special there as well as my keyboard to the side of me. I need to sort out the controls a bit more as currently I have not a clue where the rudder controls are hehe.

Currently loving the Carenado planes at the minute - at the moment no big flights I just been going from East Midlands to Nottingham and back again. I have been trying to find out a good way to save mid-air so I can fly longer routes.

Thats about it really, I look forward to the additions to the site and casual reading in the forums.

Thanks Guys,

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome. If you're flying mainly around the UK, you might like to check out the VFR Airfields series from http://www.uk2000scenery.com/ It covers pretty much every airfield in England & Wales. It's payware (but it works out at around 25-30p per airfield) and there are also free demos of selected airfields that you can try before you buy. Makes a huge difference if all you have seen is the desolation of default FSX...

Welcome to Mutley's Jim and thanks for the intro, you'll get on well here.

Beware of some of the moderators though, they can be a bit cranky! (Joke)

The Cub drifting off to the left problem will be the engine torque, you will get that with the Spitfire too, you need to add some right rudder trim or try and control it with the right rudder pedal, you will more than likely snake your way down the runway but it's fun and you will soon get used to it.

All the best and I hope you get as much advice and fun out of the forums as we do.

Regards,

Joe

Welcome Jim, i'm sure you'll find The Hangar a very friendly and welcoming place. If you got any questions, there'll usually be someone with an answer pretty sharpish

Tim, don't forget VFR Real Scenery packages from Just Flight, also Ultimate Terrain Europe from Flight 1 - both must have add-ons for any low and slow Sim pilot

Hi Jim, 'Ceud Mile Failte' - Scots Gaelic for 'A Hundred Thousand Welcomes'.

Yes I live in Bonny Scotland but I'm English.

You will love Mutley's Hangar, it's just full of guys that are all here for the same thing...Flight Simming.

We are a bunch that will impart our knowledge willing. A very friendly place to be.

Welcome again and please enjoy and explore all the forums, you never know what you will come across.

BTW, our Boss, Joe is a very nice guy (I'll collect the fiver when I see you Joe).

Good luck with your simming,

Regards

Brian aka Needles

Tim, don't forget VFR Real Scenery packages from Just Flight, also Ultimate Terrain Europe from Flight 1 - both must have add-ons for any low and slow Sim pilot

UTX I've addressed in another thread. If you're looking at photo scenery, personally I think Horizon's GenXv2 knocks the JF package into a cocked hat, and is far more extensive. But as the BBC would say, 'other scenery packages are available'...

Reason I didn't mention them though is that, at an early stage of the game, when you're concentrating more on figuring out how to fly the plane, I think having nice origin and destination airfields is more useful than the stuff in between. It's kind of like a reward :) I know from experience, the sight of a lonely FS default runway with no other features except maybe a misplaced autogen tree in the middle of it can give a really disappointing feeling of "Oh. Is that it?" after all that effort.

That's not to say you shouldn't look at other scenery, particularly if you have the cash, but, given that a lot of people have to prioritise their hobby spending, to my mind, starting off with a good spread of airfields is the best way to go. Then you can fill in the bits in between, and move to other areas as you see fit.

Thanks people! I will take a look at the airfield addons but for now I think I will concentrate on the flying for a bit - I will try a bit of rudder trim to solve the drag.

I do not think my joystick has a twist grip for rudder control, I will have to take a look later when I get home from work.

Once again, pleased to be here and already have had plenty of help so thanks for the support.

Jim

Welcome, Jim. Great intro - that's more than we get to know about most folks in a year. Good having you aboard. You'll be shooting instrument approaches in hard IMC in no time - if you want to.

John

Welcome Jim

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Most of us are easy to get along with ;)

And I think your right on your joystick lacking twist grip. I took a look at logitechs website before reading your response, and there's no mention of that function on the product page.

And since everybody keeps hinting on add-ons to get I can chip in with AirHauler from JustFlight. While it adds no scenery to FSX it's a great way to discover new places, and avoid getting to repetitive in your locations.

wow that looks crazy - adding business to the game. Once I get used to taking off and landing using the 'realistic' method I may consider this in the future but for now I want to learn realistic approach rather than the default microsoft easy settings.

I think I will have to map two buttons on my joystick to be the rudder - I am still at work at the moment but does anyone know which rudder function I would need for this? From the top of my head there is two sets yaw and something else?

I have found aswell some of my addons don't let you steer the taxiing using the stick, so its either diff braking (which i dont want to do) or steer using the front wheel that is attached to rudder? This is complicated stuff but I think once I get the basics and learn the keys I will be away :)

Give strong consideration to a set of add-on rudder pedals in the future. There's no real substitute. Buttons are poor because it's difficult to control "how much" rudder to apply. Twist grip sticks work but it's unnatural and it's hard enough controlling two axes with a stick - add the third and it's nearly impossible to do it well. Pedals are the answer, and they add wheel brakes functionality in a natural way as well.

You're going to love AirHauler. One of the great things about is the randomly generated jobs that take you to places you'd never have thought to fly yourself. Several of us here were testers and are probably not entirely unbiased about it, but we think it's one of the best FS add-ons ever.

John

UKJim wrote:

Currently loving the Carenado planes at the minute - at the moment no big flights I just been going from East Midlands to Nottingham and back again. I have been trying to find out a good way to save mid-air so I can fly longer routes.

*Saving any flight is as easy as using the semicolan ";" as a keyboard command anytime during the flight.

*When the Save Flight screen pops up, just add a Flight/Title name and if you would like a discription too.

*When you want to fly the flight again, from that save point, you click on the Load button located on the Free Flight screen and there, on a popup window, is all your saved flights, click and fly.

Hints: I Pause the mission before clicking the semicolan key, so when restarting the flight it will be in pause mode. This gives you time to get set up to start flying. Also sometimes you will need to bump the throttle a bit to engage the engines. You can make changes to the way you want the aircraft set up, for the starting point, by saving the flight with the same name. Any other mid flight saves shoud be saved using a different Title.

This is also a great way to save a flight at the departure airport parking spot with the aircraft "cold and dark" so you can practice manual start up procedures. I always felt this adds to the realism of a flight.

Hope this helps and enjoy those longer flights.

Brett

Yeah Brett sounds good to me, I just found the semicolon key as being the save button :) Damn Noobs hehe!

I would save paused because that is a gud idea; also I agree to the 'cold and dark' situation its how I would want my plane to start off with from the start anyway. In fact most of the time when I start a game I shut eveything down and start again from scratch before taking off - like you said it adds to the realism.

I think I am getting the RealAir Duke Turbine tonight, I love the single prop and dual prop engines more than the jets. Just feels more 'raw' to me.

While surfing the interwebs though I keep seeing the same jet addon again again and again - its the iFly 737NG - Is this a gud addon because I am thinking of purchasing that and maybe doing a few long trips.

Good times guys, I am really enjoying this game. I recently bought Battlefield 3 for my xbox but I got this sim as well - hard to come off it.

Welcome Jim,

You'd need to map the yaw left and right to buttons, I don't worry about the rudder trim. The thumb buttons on the stick top might be best. I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas stick/throttle. It has an axis on the throttle for rudder. I also recently mapped the ATC window to the trigger, saves a load of fiddling when there's a load of stuff going on!

I would go for the iFly 737 for the 737 series - whilst PMDG's might be more 'complete' and advanced, it drains your system I think. Plus, the iFly one includes the 737-600/700/800/900/BBJ/BBJ2/BBJ3, whereas the PMDG one, you have to buy the -800/900, then -600/700 etc

Give strong consideration to a set of add-on rudder pedals in the future. There's no real substitute. Buttons are poor because it's difficult to control "how much" rudder to apply. Twist grip sticks work but it's unnatural and it's hard enough controlling two axes with a stick - add the third and it's nearly impossible to do it well. Pedals are the answer, and they add wheel brakes functionality in a natural way as well.

What John said.

Rudder pedals are on the top of my shopping list for hardware, because trying to do to many things with one hand has got me into trouble more than once TBO ;) .

BTW. Welcome to the Hangar, it the best sim forum on the web :) .

Cheer's...Graham...