What was the Flight Sim that made you realise you were hooked?

For me it was about FS95 before I got settled down to exploring more of what Flight Sim could do in a general aviation sort of way ... it was a big thrill learning navigation for the first time, taking off into heavy cloud and descending to find the Airport where it was supposed to be ... I do go back to FS2, but was only mucking around up until about FS95 ... that's when I started taking the hobby seriously.

The first military combat sim I loved was F-19 Stealth Fighter on the Amiga ... I can still remember dodging between the radars and keeping my stealth profile to a minimum ... the real F117A was still to be revealed to the public at that time .. and Microprose later updated the F-19 game to reflect this ... but oh boy, it was fun to achieve my goals and land heavily shot up with just a few pounds of fuel as I recall ... there was no save game function?

Here is a look at the improved version of that flight game ... and oh boy, what we got back then were proper door stopper manuals ... none of your pdf's we get today :) massive books .. I think it was FS2000 we last got a proper manual with the sim?

My first real on line kill ... apart from networking a couple of DOS bases PC's at my house, would be EF2000 I think, i was a member of a EF2000 ladder and was on the internet at that time, there was a Windows 95 ver of this sim, but we had to use a third party program to use DOS 5 or 6 for best results ... I can still remember my first online kill against a real Human Being ... big thrill at the time :)

DID's sims were way ahead of their time IMHO.

I'm still as heavily enthusiastic about PC based Flight Simulation to this day.

I'm hooked.

It was definitely flght sim that came out for the IBM PC, the graphics were awful and your imagination was king! Then we got it for Atari ST and it was a whole lot better

I have not been a great fan of other flight sims but I do remember buying a 486 PC based on the minimum spec for a fighter sim, Eurofighter I think!

I think it was FS2000 that made a big leap in graphics over 98, but it made real demands on the current days hardware ... it struggled.

FS2002 was leaner and meaner by a long measure, FS2004 made it FS2002 SP1 really, but it was much better.

And then we had FSX :)

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late into this topic but I suppose that's appropriate as I'm a bit late into flight sims also. FSX is the one that got me hooked and even that was a late entry around April last year. Have to say I've never looked back and always look forward to any time I can get into the virtual skies.

My first exposure to virtual flying was with Stealth Fighter on the Atari and then later I played IL2 for a bit and whilst both were enjoyable I wasn't hooked.

FSX?? well that's a different story - that moved me from gaming into a real hobby and past time :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Strike eagle on the Amiga, then Super EF2000 when I got my first real PC, a P133mhz with a whopping 24 meg of ram :D .

Was very keen on IL2 for a while, and then moved over to FSX from that (BTW: Sabre made me do it :yesa: )

Cheer's...Graham...

Funny that - I thought it was you who made me do it :rofl:

I always just blame you when the visa bill lands on the door mat :rofl:

Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2 for me ... but until FS5 came along SubLogic ATP was much better (clouds and "grown up" planes) especially with their addons (HQ panels / sounds etc) ... I still think that FS5 night lighting was the best (or maybe its my rose-tinted specs?) ...... David

Christmas 1981 delivered a 48K ZX Spectrum and two games, 'Chequered Flag' and 'Flight Simulation'. Many hours were spent that year flying around Orb lake and other well known features. This was followed later with 'Tomahawk' which simulated an AH-64. Looked a lot like the plane in Flight Simulation, but you could perform torque turns and over-torque was a problem, but visibility wasn't, the mountains were wireframe. Came with a security device that was a folding lens. Illegal copying of the audio tapes was oviously taking off.

Student days led to study of 'Interdictor' on an Acorn. For some reason I remember it took 2 of us to fly that.

When I branched into the the PC market some years later, Hind was a great simulator, Flight Simulator for Win95 was on sale from Woolworths in Scarborough. Flight Unlimited, Joint Strike FIghter, Team Apache all followed.

Now things aren't moving for a long while. I'm sticking with 9 and X.

Oops! FS2 was quite recent was n't it?? ... Still think Sublogic ATP was pretty good (they even had proper ait traffic control back in 19xx ...... David (still taking the tablets ......)

FS2 was my first version of the Flight simulator series too, it was not the first one in the series that got me hooked though.

• 2 weeks later...

When Flight came out and I was more interested in my FSX flight to Lake Tahoe to land into some nasty weather in a new Carenado C337 with my custom panel.cfg and all-black night fighter version repaint by Jan Kees Blom. 15mph(25gusts) crosswinds w/800 ceiling and 1 mile visability. Now that was fun.

F19 Stealth Fighter and Combat Air Patrol on the Amiga for me. CAP was great me and my mate Lee used to fly the F14 as a two man crew, so much fun! And then Airbus A320 was good but very hard. Programming the FMC, if that's what you call it, was very difficult.

After that it was FS2002 that got me into Flight Sim. My first add on was Dash 8-300 Professional from the guys at PSS. A great add-on!

At Christmas I got an Amiga Emulator disc off EBay with over 1000 games including the classic flight sims. Some of them don't seem to work but if I can get it working I will post some pictures!

As a side nod to this thread ... is great to see how we all started .... keep it coming folks, no shame here :)

But i actually ordered up an Amiga 500 once (with 1MB expansion) and relevant early flight sims on that platform on Ebay to try too for nostalgia, it all worked and it was not so fun as I remembered it would be in old flight sim.

We are genuinely better off (mostly) with current tech, even with MS FS and choice.