Guess The Airport

Ambri, Switzerland it is!

Former military base that played host to the Hawker Hunter. And Switzerland also played host to Clarkson in the Veyron: the clue being a reference to the gag where the "The Sound of Music" warbled away over idyllic Swiss pasture, only to have the Veyron come screaming by.

Over to you Dai.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.... On this planet John! ♬ There is a house.... ♬

OK, it seems everyone else has lost interest so I guess it's up to me.

As Sergeant First Class B.A. "Bad Attitude" Baracus might have said to Captain H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock in most any episode of "The A Team"...

FOOL

FOOL - Leon M'ba - Libreville, Gabon

The problem with using add-on scenery for GTA shots is that not everyone has what you have and it makes things more difficult for them. I try to stick with stock airports for that reason.

This one was pretty easy for me since I'd done an airport diagram of it within the last week and it was fresh in my mind - not that I recognized the airport layou right away but your textual clues had me on it pretty quickly.

Will have something to post later today...

John

Sorry 'bout that. It would be Henderson Field (former RW ICAO PMDY) located on Sand Island which is part of the Midway Atoll (or Islands). Used to be a Naval base there but although there is still one active runway it it now run by the Fish and Wildlife Dept and is used a preserve.

Give me a bit and I will post a new airport shortly.

That's it - a long haul from anywhere in a Cub. You must have been getting great fuel economy to be arriving with a full tank...

Nice work. It sure didn't take you long to figure that one out.

John

Took off into the wind off the back of my yacht that was going full speed ahead. :P I just happened to fly a Midway mission a couple of months back and it took me awhile to find the Japanese fleet. By the time I dropped my bomb my fuel was low and I didn't think I had enough to make it back to the carrier so I headed for Henderson Field instead. Landed in the same direction too. That's why it looked familiar, otherwise I am at a loss how you guys figure these airports out .

The airport shown below is near a body of water that is so beautiful it would turn the Great Spirits frown upside down.

pic01qs.jpg

Taking a ride to this area would make a great Fathers Day present.

pic02t.jpg

Note: Aircraft shown is not a hint.

Time for another hint. :)

RW Elevation is 545 feet MSL.

When last checked the Magnetic Variation is 16° West

That should narrow things down a bit. ;) Oops, that's two hints, good luck.

Did the Magnetic Variation give it away? You got it CSoul, Good job. :thum:

Laconia Mun(KLCI) Laconia, New Hampshire, United States it is. The airport is near the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee and is thought to be named after a Native American phrase "smile of the Great Spirit". The nearby town of Laconia N.H. hosts a "Bike Week", one of the largest rallies in the country that is held the week leading up to Fathers Day. I used to go fishing up there, it's a large, beautiful crystal clear lake dotted with hundreds of small islands. Some of the best Smallmouth bass fishing in the NorthEast.

Over to you....... :D

Well, the Great Spirit clue made me think of America. After that I searched for beautiful bodies of water and found a result that mentioned a lake in New Hampshire - not the one you named there but close enough - that allowed me to find it (the lake's named started with an 'S'). So, pure luck on my part. :D

Here's the new one:

2012-8-22_16-0-47-125.jpg

Clue: We live on a world of wonders...

My mistake. "largest" is perhaps the wrong word. It is large, in that an entire town lies within the crater and is named after the town. And it is larger than the more famous Barringer Crater.

So, to make up for that mistake I'll give three more clues:

1) The crater's estimated age is less than 300 million years.

2) The town itself was named after a town in England, then the spelling was changed slightly by the U.S. Post Office (but both spellings are acceptable).

3) The town is one of the few towns in the world to be built completely inside an impact crater.