Need advice on landing...

So as I am gaining more experience in the jets - PMDG 737 to be more precise - I am having difficulty landing.

I get close to the runway and try and flare and the plane just rises off again with no touchdown? Is this due to my landing speed being too fast?

Cheers,

Jim

What works for me is to cut the throttle at about 30 feet, and start lightly flaring at about 15-20 feet. I'm not sure if that's proper procedure, but it sure produces some very smooth and accurate landings!

The PMDG NGX is the first aircraft that has actually felt realistic to me when flying, especially on landing. Because of this, I actually find it to be one of the easiest aircraft to land.

But still, I find the best way to do it is by feel. And practice a lot! :)

There's an excellent tutorial here - http://www.flyaoamedia.com/aviator90/aviator90-episode-13/

Sure, it applies to everything, even the NGX!

Nice video! I don't have trouble flaring a small GA aircraft just the big jets. With practice I'm sure ill master the flare in the PMDG - I can flare quite well in the C17.

I think I'm pulling back too much - I'm going to experiment a bit more and watch replay see where im going wrong.

Jim

Speed is crucial on any plane during landing, much to my learning the hard way. As my biggest plane as of yet is the Pilatus PC12, the first time I tried landing that, I bounce so high; that my bracers caught onto a sputnik and I was orbiting the earth for a week.. So it's practise and more practise, now I am more confident, but still the memory of being attached to that Sputnik keeps my speed down.. :yesa:

James

Manual or ILS landing, Jim? As above stated, if its ILS, if you don't disengage auto throttle just before touchdown, the plane keeps going. If its starts climbing, sure its the speed too high.

Manual, I remember to shut off autothrottle wen ILS :)

I think I was going too fast so I'm goin to keep trying. I want to use the 739 in air hauler so I gota master this ;)

Jim,

As the others have said, speed is critical. The 737NG series has a higher landing speed than the older 737 classic series and can take some getting used to.

There is also the phenomenon of "ground effect", which, to put it simply, causes a floating affect when near the ground. I don't know how much the 737 is affected by "ground effect", but If PMDG have modeled the aircraft accurately (which wouldn't surprise me), this could be a factor as well.

Best of luck. :thum:

Andrew

if i can add my twopence worth

The whole essence of flying is - speed control, if you cant control your speed accurately you wont fly, remember first aviate, then navigate.

In general terms if you are flying any single engine piston plane the speeds are 70 up and 70 down if you stick to these figures you will be ok

light twins are in the most 95 up and down

heavy twins around 105

a tip that i have always used on twins is to fly approaches to minima ,and climb outs on the blue line (below which an engine failure can be critical)

and jets such as the 737 if you are just winging it and not using the fmc a figure of 145/150 will suffice to keep the blue side up

and as mentioned before cut the power when about 30 feet above the piano keys

on the jets one should get the plane slowed up to 185 when one is established at 6 miles final with the legs down and 5 deg flaps then as you get closer to the airport the speed should be brought down as the flaps come down as well, jets should be dragged in with full flaps and plenty of power (65% min) not glided in, just in the event you need to perform a go around as the engines take forever to spool up and produce power.

"a good landing always follows from a good stable approach "

• Like 1

Sounds about right, I did what the above comment suggested with 185 and full flaps etc; I think it could be the ground float thing as it only happens at about 20feet above ground when trying to flare, the rest of my approach seems spot on.

I do have a question tho; I use the speed brake in the air during descent - I then lower the speed brake fully but leaving it armed for landing. Is this correct or should I have the speed brake up during landing?

Im sure its a user error (me) that is being noob about this; I'm still learning the heavies and I thank you all for your patience.

the good book says that the speedbrake should not be used under 2000 feet , however it should be armed for landing otherwise the spoilers will not raise automatically when the wheels hit the tarmac.

also brake 2 or 3 should be selected on final.

pmdg have copied the floating traits of the 737 , the ngx wing is very good so you should start at 185 as you arrive at 3000 feet on the ILS, bleeding the speed off so you are over the piano keys at around 145 where you cut the power . the extended flaps will further reduce the speed so all you have to do is hold the nose up at 5-7 deg. so you dont land on the nose leg

Ummm, i don't have the PMDG 737, but 185 sounds way too high for landing. You should aim for 140 - 155, depending on weight. As for speed brakes, there should be no need for them, only in emergency slow downs. Which gives a hint , that you are "coming in a little too hot":). Try to start your descent in time and the plane should slow down without the speed brakes.

Ummm, i don't have the PMDG 737, but 185 sounds way too high for landing. You should aim for 140 - 155, depending on weight. As for speed brakes, there should be no need for them, only in emergency slow downs. Which gives a hint , that you are "coming in a little too hot":). Try to start your descent in time and the plane should slow down without the speed brakes.

The guy above you sed capture ILS at 185 but land at 145.

I think that my landing was goin bout 150/155 so a little fast. I'll try a slower speed and see.

Wouldn't b surprised if I pulled back too much either :)

I'm goin to practice now I have lots of useful tips off you guys.

Just to add my worth,

I saw the same thread in the PMDG forum when the NGX first came out, the best solution that they found was to forget everything you know and just go for it and see what happens when you land. Remember land at about 145kts and with about 3-4 pitch up on the nose.

Also it might be worth paying you tube a visit and watching people land the NGX and seeing what they do and compare it to your own landings.

TRB

Use your FMC info instead and land at *that* flap setting with *that* vref +10 kts

OK I have just done this and I managed to land it successfully 1st time :) I also realised after looking at the replay that I was flaring too much so next time I will not flare as much and check out the replay again. So I think this is a solved issue WOOP WOOP!!!

Thanks to everyone in here giving advice

Would just like to add I have performed many landings now and all are nice and smooth - just completed my first landing within Air Hauler using this plane and got a greaser :)

Happy Days!

I knew he could do it it, just took a bit of info and a guiding hand, like i did when i first soloed back in 70, the problem is , now the more you learn, the more you realise, how much you dont know ! the learning curve is steep, enjoy!

Cheers all! I'm happy with the plane now I can setup all of its systems and land it successfully too!

Hopefully I'll feel better soon and get more flying in!

Cheers

Jim