The grand Danube adventure

Loving your adventure so far Jess.

But your really out of luck when it comes to weather..

Keep em coming..

And considering the great story you're putting on here I can't wait to see what you will do with an ATWC flight in the next section ;)

For the first time in three days, I wake up to clear skies and no rain. Feeling a spring in my step, I check the met report over breakfast (more strong black coffee and croissants) and the news is good. All along the route I no signs of rain. The slight is a group of heavy showers near Frieburg in Germany. But given their expected track, they'll be long gone before I reach the airport. So I finish up breakfast and settle my bill at the hotel, before I get a car to the airport. My unexpected arrival in Troyes on Saturday may have been unplanned, but as I leave this beautiful medieval city, I find that I'm sad to be leaving without having had a chance to look around. The rain on Sunday was extremely heavy with over an inch falling in just a few hours. This kept me in the hotel all day. Still, my journey must continue and by 1100 I'm stood with Mike Zulu, preparing for the day ahead.

preflight_zps0b84b8dc.jpg

Doing the Preflight

A quick check of the oil tells me I'll be needing to change it in a few hours, but for now it's ok. So with the preflight done and the cloud base looking fairly high, I get the aircraft started. The tower clears my VFR flight and I'm told to taxi to runway 36 for departure. In daylight the airport looks deserted. Even Mike Zulu's two friends, a pair of 172s have left for pastures new. With the winds calm and a few clouds at 2000ft, I get cleared for take off.

runup_zpsce1d112b.jpg

Quiet and pretty much deserted

Climbing out of Troyes, I bid a fond farewell to the city as I turn onto my VOR heading. The first VOR is over 50nm's and is just one of 4 to deal with today. I'm heading down to Dijon, the on to Basel Mulhouse before I cross the border into Germany and on to my destination. I climb to 2000ft and settle into the cruise. Before long, I discover that a lack of rain doesn't equate to smooth air. There's a fair bit of chop around. Nothing to serious but enough to mean I need to concentrate. The Katana is only light and she gets bumped around easily.

climbingout_zps82d434b7.jpg

Saying goodbye to Troyes

Half and hour later though, a new and potentially dangerous problem arises. Whist I'm glancing it of the passenger side of the aircraft, I notice a few black streaks on the canopy. I hoped it was dirt, but I knew it wasn't. Oil has leaked from the filler neck under the hood and has poured up the screen. Quickly I do a scan of my instruments. All report back fine, but the oil pressure gauge is just on the edge of amber. The engine itself is sounding fine and I diagnose that the oil on the screen is just a small amount escaping from the filler due to oil pressure. With everything else looking ok, I decide to press on, but with one eye on the oil pressure gauge.

oilslick_zps1e7babc6.jpg

its not dirt but something worse.

oulbedamned_zps117b1fc4.jpg

Oil is seeping from the filler neck

With the first VOR passed I select the second that will take me to the north of Dijon. I climb to 3000ft as the cloud base rises and settle down once again into a steady cruise. A little later I'm surprised again to see that my speed is dropping and I'm slowly descending back to 2000ft. Once more carb icing has caught me out and I see the engine manifold pressure sitting at just 2100 and falling. I switch the heat on and within one minute the pressure creeps back up and I breathe a sigh of relief. I check the OAT and confirm it reads some 5°c above freezing. I consider myself duly chastise and put in my place. Icing doesn't always occurs around freezing. This GA flying lark is much harder than you think.

lake_zps91e5345f.jpg

The scenery is nice. here's the beautifully named Lac D'orient that joins the Saine.

As I pass Dijon and select the next VOR, I check the canopy for signs of progression. Happily no more oil has made it onto the screen and its looking like Mike Zulu is feeling a lot better. From Dijon I begin to notice the scenery changing. Gone are the flat fields below to be replaced with subtle hills and valleys. Ahead of me there are mountains and it's clear that the ground is coming up to meet me, despite my height being pretty stable. Again I climb to 3000ft and give myself some space below.

motorway_zpsbead9c99.jpg

The hills are starting to appear

Pretty soon, Basel comes into sight and I'm passed to Basel Mulhouse approach to transit the area. It's a good job I've been flying with 'flight following' as zone busting around airports is a big no no. It's just as well, as I enter the controlled airspace I hear a Swiss Avro liner climbing out of the airport. It passes by me 2000ft above but well within my eye line.

zonebusting_zps1d53d26e.jpg

Basel Mulhouse Airport

Over Basel, I select my penultimate vor and make the turn to start heading north east. It was certainly prudent to Route down to Basel rather than direct as I avoided the worst of the high ground and mountains, instead I'm enjoying passing over Basel, seeing the city from the air.

basel2_zpse2038607.jpg

Basel

mountains_zpse8d14ec1.jpg

Routing to the south avoided the worst of the high Ground

This leg is a pretty short one at just 35 miles and having climbed to 5000ft to clear the odd hill, I descend back to 3000ft to enjoy the scenery, as well as avoid a few cotton wool clouds. Ahead of me are valleys and rivers to numerous to name but lovely to look at. There's also a ridge to get over I decide to offset my VOR needle, stepping to the right to avoid the worst of the high ground whist maintaining my bearing abeam. It's a good idea and once I'm over the ridge I pass into Germany and on to my final fix.

valleys_zps5d0f5059.jpg

The valley below may look impressive, but the updrafts from the valley sides make holding altitude difficult.

As I pass over the penultimate VOR, I switch to the final fix,which sits just a few miles from my destination airfield. The bad news is though that it's DME only and the OBS needle refuses to move. Grabbing a map, I work out that a bearing of 010° should lead me to my destination, which sits just. 16nm away. I descend to 2000ft and contact the airport ahead. The ride gets a bit interesting now as the valley's I'm passing over are producing some Wally strong thermals coming off the ridges. Without warning I find my rate of climb shoot up by 600ft/min as I pass over one valley. So it looks like the final part of this flight is going to be fun.

danubeindistance_zpse0c15645.jpg

Nearing the airport I get my first sight of the Danube.

Contacting the tower I'm surprised to find that Munich tower deals with this airfield. They clear me to land on runway 18 and following instructions I join the pattern and start getting Mike Zulu 'dirty'

downwind_zps311bfbbf.jpg

Downwind of the Airfield

Turning on to final, I'm battling another crosswind and the aircraft is crabbing quite a bit. But given the practice I got on the last flight, a swift boot of left rudder and we're down safe. I taxi off the runway and get taxi instructions. Checking the local weather I find that the wind was pushing 19kts on the crosswind, 4kts above the recommend maximum.

crabbing_zps19436c31.jpg

19kts makes for a fun approach

As I park up,it appears that I landed just in time. The visibility drops as a shower passes over. For once the rain waited until I'd landed for a change. Feeling pleased to have finally arrived at my destination, a mere two days later than expected, I head off to the terminal to pay my fees and head off into town. Tonight I think a nice cold German beer will be enjoyed, served by a buxum german lady, before the actual Danube trip can begin tomorrow.

parkedforthenight_zpsc1136f25.jpg

Parked up and relieved. two minutes later a rain shower hits the airport.

Great story Jess. Carb Ice can occur at just about any temperature. And a tip us real world GA pilots us is every 15 min turn on the carb ice for 30 seconds to a min, and reset the DG. Not only does it help with keeping us from icing up, but keeps us occupied. The katana's crosswind limit is 15kts at 90º. oh and here's a nice carb ice chart.

Keep up the good flying.

carbicingfromcaassl14.gif

Things are looking up with some nice scenery around. Happy you just beat the rain. :thum: To bad the rain can't help wash some of that oil off. Don't forget to check the cap before the next flight. :D

I made this for ya, just a friendly reminder for your dash :P

imagescadq082i.jpg

Looking forward to the continuing adventure.........

Hi guys,

I'm glad your all enjoying my little trip, and thanks for all the comments.

@sean, thanks for the chart. That explains things very nicely for me and twhist flying this morning I cycled the carb heat every 15 mins as suggested. :-)

@brett, thanks mate, thats just what I need.

And @kasper. Glad your enjoying the trip. Turns out the oil leak was likely me not turning the prop enough when checking the oil. I'm guessing I made Mize Zulu beltch all over the screen. Today the prop was turned and the oil checked properly, result, no sign of oil from the filler flap.

Todays trip report will be up later.

Finally, to @john, thanks for making gall the charts for the trip. A great resource that we can all enjoy.

Best wishes,

Jess B

Finally, to @john, thanks for making gall the charts for the trip. A great resource that we can all enjoy.

I just hope Quickmarch (who's helping out with these) and I can keep ahead of you. Keep up the great work.

John

• 4 months later...

It seems time is always against me, and this little trip i planned has dragged on. The original plan was to enjoy a little time off and fly a route from cardiff to the small German town of Donaueschingen, the source of Europe's Danube river. I set myself several rules one of which has kept me grounded for the last few months. Winter is no time to fly the stunning but fragile Diamond DA-20 Katana around in non VFR weather. So Mike Zulu has been sat in Danaueschingen since october, waiting for time and good flying weather to coincide. Well it has and today I dusted off my route maps and headed to pick up Mike Zulu, ready to start following the Danube.

I Decided to make up for lost time a little and fly two legs today. It's fair to say I was eager to make a start on the journey. My first flight would only be around 45 minutes and would include a touch and go, before I landed at Erbach for a spot of sightseeing and an early lunch. The weather looked good with only a few scattered clouds around 4000 to worry about. otherwise, the air was calm and the temperature warmer than expected. 

danube3route_zpsce0a657b.jpg

Calling for Taxi, I was told to head to runway 18. It was an unexpected bonus meaning I could depart straight out to the south and pick up the Danube just 3 miles away. Gently I coax Mike Zulu back to life as both of us got use to each other again. I'd spent my winter flying a Cessna 310 which is very different to the litte Rotax aircraft I found myself in now. I'd given him a good going over before we started and as I began the takeoff roll, I was greeted to the cat like purr of the engine and the smooth takeoff I'd come to expect. 

fsx2013-03-0913-47-30-38_zps75695a5a.jpg

The crisp morning air on departure.

As we climbed, it was clear that winter hadn't quite finished with this region and signs of snow were still evident. It didn't matter though, I come to follow the Danube so my eyes were peeled looking for the river. It wasn't long before the Danube came into view and finally, after more that while, I got to turn East and head out along the Danube's route. 

fsx2013-03-0913-52-24-87_zps64015afe.jpg

Finally in Sight, let the fun begin.

The land ahead of me was a mix  of fields, snow and ridges where the Danube had slowly cut its path. Even at this stage the Danube looked more than just a small stream. It's no wonder it travels for so far. 

fsx2013-03-0913-56-58-47_zpsfeb7e6bb.jpg

Snow and Ridges to Start.

fsx2013-03-0914-02-58-15_zpsc5b1d138.jpg

Broadening to small Valley's

The weather has really defined this trip so far and even today, it felt like having a say. Whist the forecast said good visibility, a few clouds here and there tried to muscle in.

fsx2013-03-0914-07-33-93_zpsdfae69e6.jpg

A little cloud hugging the land.

About twenty minutes in I found myself close to Mengen-Hohentengen airfield and I decided to drop in for a touch and go. The Runway is just a short distance away from the Danube, so it seemed like a good idea. Lining up for a straight in, I got use to how Mike Zulu feels on the approach. predictably, he felt light and easy. 

fsx2013-03-0914-13-19-93_zpsc699d763.jpg

a little practice never harms. 

Apart for the odd little bounce now and again, The air was very still and Mike Zulu enjoyed the calm air with near perfect straight and level behavior, meaning I had a chance to look around at the scenery.  AS we passed Laupeim Army airbase off the right wing, I could make out the mountain range in the distance. I was certainly glad not to needing to climb up over those peaks. 

fsx2013-03-0914-28-23-45_zpsace2b22d.jpg

Mountains in the distance

the view also showed me some familiar friends, oil streaks coming from the engine cowling. It seems I was a little rustier than I thought and in my preflight checks, I forgot to clear the crankcase of air. Now a few splashes of oil were leaking past the filler cap as the engine 'burped'. Still it was nothing serious and I could just clean the canopy after I landed. 

Pretty soon Erbach was coming into view. This was a small duel strip grass field and a little difficult to spot around the buildings. So I did a fly over of the area, spotted the field and announced my entry into the pattern for landing, choosing 3R to land on. 

fsx2013-03-0914-34-51-05_zps34e02513.jpg

Erbach in sight, just. 

The landing was smooth but as I taxied off I found a small fuel bowser but little else. Hopefully I could get a taxi into town and do a bit of shopping.

fsx2013-03-0914-37-49-39_zpsb76a0494.jpg

And Parked. 

A spot of Shopping and a bite to eat at a little cafe later and it was time to move on. With the clock reading 1300, I figured Mike Zulu and I were ready to head to our next destination. This afternoon's route took us further East to the little town of Staubing. It has a lovely little regional airport right next to the Danube that would serve us both well for the night.

danube4_zps09061e8e.jpg

Loading up, I did my preflight checks, and again I forgot to 'burp' the engine meaning I could expect more oil splashes on the canopy. Nevertheless, Mike Zulu purred into life and we taxied to runway 3R for takeoff. The weather had changed little from the morning. More cloud cover was expected but it was high enough out of our way as to not bother us. Departing 3R I caught sight of the Danube to my right and we were on our way again. 

fsx2013-03-1014-28-33-29_zps865cbf31.jpg

Departing Erbach. 

The afternoon promised more than a few airfields to visit, but I chose just one to visit during the hour long flight along the Danube. The others would serve as waypoints for the flight and it wasn't long before the Ex-Military airfield at Leipheim was off to my right. FSX still has this as active, but in reality, this is now a car storage yard for new cars among other things. 

fsx2013-03-1014-40-45-64_zpsd6008cfa.jpg

It may look like a runway, but looks can be deceiving. 

Once again the air was fairly still and I could enjoy a look around as I flew. As I approached on town I caught sight of a huge power station on the Danube's banks. Its no surprise to find so much going on around the rivers edge and I expect to see more the further I go. 

fsx2013-03-1014-44-45-71_zps381ca210.jpg

The Danube holds all sorts. 

It was also interesting to notice that the ridges and small valley's were now almost all gone. Nothing but flat plains took up the view now. It was still very pretty to look at.

fsx2013-03-1014-55-24-30_zps696741dd.jpg

The ridges are gone, just flat land to see for now. 

Time for some more landing practice as we approached Donauworth-Genderkingen Airport. A lovely little field and had I not been in such a rush to reach Straubing, I would have enjoyed a nice coffee or to. Instead after a brief touch of tarmac, It was back up into the sky.

fsx2013-03-1014-57-05-41_zpsda16d4c7.jpg

No time for a coffee sadly.

Moving on swiftly, there were just two more airfields to pass, both Military before I followed the Danube to north and then South to Straubing. The first Airfield, Neuberg AB would pass off to my right whist Manching AB would be given more room giving it's large size. With Neubug on the horizon, I was already thinking of my hotel room and supper. 

fsx2013-03-1015-02-44-27_zps5ac9c201.jpg

One down,

My old friend the weather though brought my attention back to the cockpit as cloud began to drift down to my altitude. I descended down to avoid most of it and in fairness, the cloud quickly cleared up as I approached Manching.

fsx2013-03-1015-09-15-21_zpsc4e11573.jpg

A little cloud for company.

fsx2013-03-1015-14-15-38_zpseec858ef.jpg

​And that's two. The Rather large Manching AB

Now it was just one more waypoint and Straubing. The weather was looking good again and as I approached the town Of Regenburg, I could already smell the coffee. The town itself looked large and I was impressed to see such a large town at this point. 

fsx2013-03-1015-22-41-12_zpsebb13c25.jpg

Regenburg in the distance.

fsx2013-03-1015-31-09-03_zps93172492.jpg

Up close and Personal

Turning to the south east, I followed the river now to my destination, Straubing. It didn't take long to get there. On the map the airport had looked close the river but as I joined the pattern for landing, I could see the river sitting right, bang smack next to the terminal near enough. I flew a curved approach for fun and landed with no fuss or any other aircraft on the apron.

fsx2013-03-1015-42-22-96_zpse0b9d769.jpg

Coming in at an angle for fun.

Tired, I taxied to parking and shut down Mike Zulu. It was nearly 5 months since I started this trip and It was nice to finally see dome of the German countryside finally. Next leg though would take me into Austria and to Linz. It should be a fun flight. 

fsx2013-03-1015-46-45-29_zps6aa4d434.jpg

Next up, Austria

Good to see you back on the Danube, Jess,

What a treat of a plane.

Canadians use Rotax engines in Ski-Doos. I'm sure they've come a long, long way since the first ones we saw back in the sixties.

Looking forward to your next leg.

A good nights sleep can cure a multitude they say, and after a rather pleasant night in nearby Straubing, I was ready to take to the skies once more with Mike Zulu in tow. A leisurely breakfast and a check of the forecast told me it was going to be a nice days flying. Today wouldn't be to stressful with just a single leg planned for the day. Still, I was eager to get going and I found myself in the cockpit at 10:30. There was certainly more cloud cover today, but it was nice and high so it posed little threat to Myself or Mike Zulu. Having learnt my lesson on the last two flights, I studiously checked the oil and correctly 'Burped' the engine. A reassuring a gurgle told me all was well and I continued the rest of the preflight feeling pretty pleased with myself.  

Today's route would take us east and south over the Austrian Border to Linz. In many ways the delays I faced at the end of the year have played to my favour as Linz was to be a very special landing. Rather than heading to the large regional Airport to the west of the city, I'd asked for permission to land at the cities Gliding club. The small grass field is located in the heart of the city and right next to the Danube. Unfortunately, It closes for the winter from the end of October to March. The delay has allowed the field to reopen and my permission to land was agreed. Normally powered aircraft are barred from landing with the exception of Powered Gliders. Given Mike Zulu's svelte figure (Unlike my own) I Got the club and local authorities to let me land. 

Danube5_zpsf67bb2d4.jpg

I hadn't planned any touch and go's today, but if somewhere looked interesting I figured I may as well take a look. So with ATC clearance for Runway 28 and a departure to the east, I bid Fair well to Straubing and headed to the runway.

fsx2013-03-1118-21-23-68_zps8f504ba5.jpg

Time to go.

As when I arrived last night, The airport was certainly not busy, well deserted was more my thought. But as I lined up fro takeoff I took a last look before opening the throttle. 

fsx2013-03-1118-25-06-90_zps35b9d7d2.jpg

Ready to Depart 28

As we climbed into the air, Mike Zulu was purring like a kitten and I was settling in to turn to the east. Just then I noticed something outside rattling. It seems my confidence about my preflight checks was misplaced and whist I had check to oil correctly, I hadn't closed the cover over the oil. It wouldn't do any harm flapping about but I cursed all the same. So much for having things under control.

fsx2013-03-1118-26-41-51_zps428bb127.jpg

Of course I know what I'm doing! Right?

With the open cowling noted I again settled in to enjoy the flight. Below me the familiar fields were back along with the Danube. It had certainly grown since I started following it yesterday. IT was now at least double the width it was at the start and it was only going to get bigger. I had other concerns though. Off to my left were a few hills that threatened my nice comfortable cruising altitude of 3500ft. I'd quite literally cross that mountain when I came to it. 

fsx2013-03-1118-31-11-93_zps985e74b0.jpg

The Danube's getting bigger 

It wasn't long until I spied an airport right next to the Danube and I thought I'd pay it a visit. The Town of Vilshofen was on the nose and the airport looked inviting. As I got closer I revised inviting to Dramatic. Cliffs were carved by the Danube and the airport seemed to be placed to side of the m, not on top. This was going to be fun. 

fsx2013-03-1118-46-52-96_zpscd8414f3.jpg

Dramatic approach to Vilshofen.

fsx2013-03-1118-48-11-86_zps52af1ed1.jpg

Careful

The closer to the runway I got the more impressive the approach looked, and as the wheels touched I was suddenly glad I wasn't in anything heavier. If your looking for a challenge or a nice dramatic approach check out EDMV for fun. 

Just a short distance down the way, I reached Passau, a charming German town that sits where the river Inn joins the Danube. It's also marks the German/Austrian border. Here the river maintains the border for a little while before it passes into Austria completely. The landscape also changes as the river cuts through a few small hills. 

fsx2013-03-1118-54-12-28_zpsd859791e.jpg

Passau and Beyond it Austria.

The added power of the River Inn really pushes the Danube on here and again the river seems to have broadened. As it cuts through the landscape, I take Mike Zulu up to 4000ft just to be safe. I also start to see what look like Hydroplants on the river. It's a cool sight. 

fsx2013-03-1118-58-40-30_zps06bfb530.jpg

Austria on the Right, Germany on the Left

fsx2013-03-1119-01-40-14_zpsbb7bcda9.jpg

What looks like a small hydroplant.

Once I'm over the border it's just a short hop to Linz. Before to long, I can see the city on the nose and I contact Linz East for landing instructions. 

fsx2013-03-1119-13-29-89_zps9f8d324d.jpg

Linz just ahead

fsx2013-03-1119-16-32-25_zpsf927f47d.jpg

Preparing to enter the pattern

The Nice controller clears me for runway 33 and to enter the pattern to the left. I'm really pleased to get this approach as it will bring me past Linz on Downwind before flying back up the river into the field. I prepare for landing by throttling back, turning on the carb heat and maintaining my sweep for other aircraft. With Linz airport so close it pays to be alert and I'm not sure I'd win in a fight with a Dash-8. 

As I turn on to final, I'm greeted with a most unwelcome sight. Ahead of me a re three smoke stacks that seem to be right in my way. I once again curse as I make plans to avoid the bloody things. 

fsx2013-03-1119-25-11-20_zps5045a2f2.jpg

Those smoke stacks are going to make things interesting.

fsx2013-03-1119-26-13-39_zps428328f3.jpg

Once I've steered clear of them I'm focused on making a landing on what seems a very short runway. I select full flaps and hope for the best as I cross the boundary, avoiding a few trees as I go. even with the higher workload though, I still get to appreciate the View as I head for the runway. 

fsx2013-03-1119-27-04-38_zps078750e8.jpg

An approach to die for.

AS I get closer to the ground I don't notice my speed dropping and the stall warning goes off. A very quick application of power fixes it and I make a smooth touchdown, coming to a stop within the Runway markings. Breathing a sigh of relief, I taxi to park and shut down Mike Zulu. I perform a check to ensure no damage has occurred but all is well. With Mike Zulu parked I'm ready for a coffee, and in Austria that means a Melange. Tomorrow is a rest day and I'm looking forward to enjoying Linz for the day. However, the next leg is the one I'm looking forward to as we head for Vienna. 

fsx2013-03-1119-29-33-69_zpsac904e35.jpg

And done for the day. Now where's my coffee.