That is great news James and I heard John Venema talking about it today too. By the end of 2014 we should have the next gen "FSX" we have been waiting for.

Apparently the FSX code is up for sale by Microsoft but not exclusively, Orbx say they could neither afford it or spend millions of dollars developing it to the next level.

I does bode well for the future of our beloved sim though!

I'm very hopeful this will be the NGFS, as MSFS XI should'a, could'a, would'a been, if MS had not lost the fire.

John

I'm not sure if MS lost the fire or lost the plot with MS Flight. It was certainly a marketing disaster and probably debated here after its' demise. A less risky venture for MS might have been to 'enhance' FSX and compete with third party add ons. Having said that, I prefer to support the little man and their add ons.

As always, the question is, do I upgrade considering the investment I have made with my current system and start again with P3D? It's a simple answer, yes, if I have the time and cash to do so.

My point here is is that technology/upgrading is moving so fast that there is a danger of it leaving the consumer behind. For a relative computer incompetent like me there is too much stuff coming on the market too quickly to keep pace with. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But I am an old F*rt.

All I'm asking is is there a possibility of a technology bubble about to burst?

Answers on a postcard to...

So far, most of the FSX add-ons work in P3D - not all, but most and many of the developers are working at making them compatible where they are not or releasing separate versions.  Don't assume you'll have to throw away all your FSX stuff - much will still work and for some of the rest there will be upgrades, free or otherwise, or outright replacements, also free or otherwise to former owners.  I'm pretty sure the developers will be all over this but will initially be all over the map on how they handle it.

PMDG seems to be an exception - they want no part of their products being used on P3D, probably on the advice of their lawyers who have invoked the fear of being sued by someone who uses P3D for RW training (that's part of what L-M is all about with P3D) and has an accident.

John

Wow John, that's the fastest reponse ever! 

The bottom line to my preamble really was the bottom line to get some debate going about the speed of change in technology. Maybe I should have opened a new topic but things do seem to be changing exponentially and that systems could get too complex for (to use an English expression). The man on the Clapham omnibus. Or the ordinary Joe.

I'm not doomongering here. I'm just an old f*rt. 

Best,

I'm not sure if MS lost the fire or lost the plot with MS Flight.

I think MS lost the fire, i.e. any desire to produce a serious flight simulator, long before MSF ever hit the streets.   I suspect that happened and the product under development was gutted from a simulator to a game at about the time MS came to the realization that the add-on vendors were not going to sign on to play by the rules as MS proposed them, marketing their products to flight simmers for a royalty fee through the MS equivalent of the Apple app store, with MS getting most of the purchase price.

Long live P3D.

John

> It's not an either-or situation in any way....

Well, apart from the fact that there are some fsx add-ons that won't work with it....    :whis:

For example, just the fact that Aivlasoft EFB won't work with it is a deal-breaker for me, never mind PMDG and the rest. (IMHO cubed, and all that jazz).

So I guess it's got to still be that old black (fsx) magic for me: I'll have to leave P3D to you "Academic" types.   ;)    But all power to your elbow if it works for you.   :D  

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

PMDG's attorneys have them running scared. Since L-M is also marketing P3D for RW training of various kinds they are concerned someone will use one of their products on P3D, subsequently have a RW accident and sue them.

John

Thanks, Brett.  Have gone ahead and bought an academic license and after installing go about figuring out which of my add-ons will work-- REXOD, UTX, FTXGlobal and ORBXPNW are the main bits I use in FSX aside from various JF/Aerosoft/Caranedo and GAS aircraft.  Will try vanilla to get my feet wet.  :D 

Chris, if P3Dv2 produces performance benefits, it is precisely the adoption of it by the community that will force PMDG to find a solution and accommodate us....else go out of the entertainment business. Having said that, there appears to be a wonderful symbiotic relationship developing where rw training tools are cross subsidising products being made available to the sim community, as I don't believe that the development time and costs would really justify them being made solely for us

How much does an "Academic licence" cost ... ?

About $50 USD, last I knew.

Is it a one-time fee (or does one have to renew it ... ??

One time, and is a full, complete, unfettered version.

Do I have to buy one licence for each of the PC's I use to run one Simulator ... ???

Don't know, but legally speaking, probably so.

John

It would be nice to know, on a scale of 1-10, how much better P3D is than FSX, before and after the beta is finished, to use as a gauge to help folks make a decision on making the switch. Not sure about anyone else but if I was to make the switch I wouldn't want to keep both. I noticed, looking for the link for Dave, that the P3D threads were slowing down as far as interest in the program, what works and what doesn't and how many folks are actually using it. Is the fact that users can't use tried and true addons a put off. 

My plan is to keep both operational- P3D for learning and FSX for entertainment;  the reason I say that, aside from the disclaimer re: LH saying P3D is for learning/education, is:  I'm unsure how accurately some of the models I have for FSX would actually function in P3D.  For example the Lockheed Model 12 Electra Jr. by GAS.  I love to operate that vintage twin in Air Hauler, but the model was originally designed for an earlier version of FS and upgraded for FSX.  I've no idea (being new to P3D) how the 12 would fly 'simulation-wise' in P3D (if that makes any sense lol), especially as P3D gets updated.  If I'm using the L12 in P3D am I doing myself a disservice because it is not functioning accurately?  Please note I'm just using that as an example, not suggesting that is the true case as the GAS model may well be a very accurate representation of the L12.

I also don't have scads of add-ons for FSX, so am lucky that way I suppose as I can't miss in P3D what I don't have in FSX lol.  Anyway, in the end the academic license gives me a chance to get to grips with an updated simulator that will eventually 'turn-over'  into a newer version and I can decide then if it's worth continuing.  FSX ain't going anywhere sadly (Mr.G needs to rekindle his passion for flight simulation :)   ) but its still loads of good times 'flying'.

Kind regards,

Dave

Keep in mind that P3D is built on licensed MS code.  L-M started out with a product that was 100% MS.  A very high percentage of it very likely still is.  Lockheed is probably not changing things willy-nilly for the sake of change but are doing things that will improve the product capability and the user experience.  One of the first things they did, in support of their business model and perceived customer base, was to include the sea bottom terrain - - - I don't think that hurt our flight simming experience any.  My point is, making/keeping FSX add-ons compatible with P3D, given that it's based on MS code in the first place, shouldn't be rocket science.

As I understand it now, Lockheed-Martin's focus is on expanding memory limitations, improving utilization of multi-core processors and making better use of the inherent but largely untapped (by MSFS code) power in today's graphics cards.  It's hard to imagine that we all wouldn't like to see those things addressed, either in FSX, P3D or both.  Just between you and me and the toolshed, MS isn't too keen on doing that for FSX.  What does that leave? 

I'm not able to imagine that any of those fundamental things that are under the microscope at L-M will cause a degraded flight simulation experience in P3D.  It sounds to me, rather, that those things have the potential to improve most everything we do.  When FSX was released, it was hardware bound - the hardware has improved immensely and now it's software bound.   If L-M's revised product going forward is innately more capable and better able to make use of the horsepower in today's hardware than the static FSX is, it seems pretty logical to me that any add-on developer whose product has difficulties with P3D will soon jump on the bandwagon and develop fixes for it - except PMDG, who are lawyer-bound. 

The only really credible candidate for the NGFS at this time is the one whose base code is being actively enhanced.  Improvements in FSX since 2006 (except SP1, SP2 and Acceleration, which were relatively minor things) have mainly been by virtue of the innovation of the add-on developers, working around the limits of FSX.   Isn't it better that the underlying program code, the very platform upon which all the add-ons run, be improved?

John