Leg 6 Rabat to Lanzarote

It is never easy coming in as a replacement pilot. You do not know the route, fly with an unknown crew, barely have time to prepare and you got to make it on time because others are depending on you to get the job done.

When you are flying in place of a fine writer like Jessica in the ATWC - that adds to the pressure. You'd better do it right!

So while I am no Jessica and my 737 is no Lenore off we go to Lanzarote.

1.jpg

The B737-800 waiting to get to Lanzarote

It all began on the morning of the 7th. Mikael was calling "We need a replacement pilot right about NOW. We have a stranded 737 at Rabat and it needs to go to Lanzarote. Can you make it?"

Not being anywhere in the neighborhood that would not be easy, but I could use the flight time in a 737 - I was up for the simulator ride shortly -  so I said "Sure, when does it have to be in Lanzarote?"

The answer Wednesday was not very comforting. Between getting to Rabat and leaving for Lanzarote  that would leave me exactly zero time to prepare for the Baby Boeing. Having spend a lot of time in propliners and the A320 lately that would leave me depending on my fading memories and the skills of the rest of the crew. I sure hoped the copilot was half decent!

The first thing I noticed when getting to Rabat was: No Brett! Since I needed the baton quickly to avert the rowdy pax stripping the interior of the plane that was an issue. So I called in some favors from the locals and sure enough Brett was found in a shady place clinging to the Baton.

After the locals talked Brett into releasing the Baton they dropped it off and I could make the 737 ready to leave.

Since the plane was temporarily parked 'out of the way' I had no external power and I did the whole preflight on APU power. Not the standard procedure since you burn extra fuel but we had little choice.

Luckily the copilot had done the flight planning and preparation. I only had to check the calculations and order the fuel.

loadsheet.jpg

The loadsheet

Then we could finally tell the crew to get the pax seated - we were ready to go, and judging  from the noise from the cabin: not a minute too soon!

We had a long way to taxi but finally we were ready to take-off. The tower gave permission and off went.

I always stand in awe of the power of the modern passenger jets, and this time was not different.  The amount of power and the acceleration is just staggering!

3.jpg

Climbing out

After hand flying the jet up to 10000 ft it was time to let the auto pilot / auto throttle do it's thing. I was very relieved that the had flying  worked out OK. The copilot looked happy giving every indication that I did all right - for a replacement pilot. Of course she was comparing me with her regular captain and I knew I would not win that comparison. But I felt pretty happy myself and settled in for the short period of auto flight.

cruise.jpg

Cruising

Everything went alright and with a little touch of speed brake the descent to Lanzarote was perfect. And then I took control for the landing and that was not so good. I made the rookie mistake of disabling the auto pilot without disabling the auto throttle. Now in the A320 I fly regularly that is not an issue. You just pull back to idle and the AT disengages itself - NOT so in a Boeing!

Coming in much to fast I had to go around and then the copilot said: "Would it be a good idea to set the speed for the AT or disengage it?" She had a mischievous smile that said: Amateur! And all my warm cozy feelings were gone in a hurry.

tooFAST.jpg

Go Around!

But I decided to really nail the manual landing the next time, and to my amazement I did!

frontwheeldown.jpg

On the center line

The smile grew less mischievous and I felt I regained some ground.

Anyway it was very good training for the simulator.

Now I just have to hand the Baton to Brian and I can head home to study the 737 books. I'll need it!

Excellent story and pic's Kasper. A big thanks goes out to you for filling in and doing such a great job on the flight. At least you finally showed the co-pilot how a real pilot does a flyover before landing in an unfamiliar airport. ;) Hope to catch up with you later on during the challenge.

I feel bad about not getting to meet you. I'm not sure but I think they spiked the 'one' drink I had. :whis:  Plus I was told your locals cleaned out my wallet. The bar was nice enough to give me a complimentary picture, although it got a little scratched at the bottom somehow. 

ta41.jpg

Great landing, Kasper. That's like having the last laugh.

@ Brett - It doesn't look like your landing on the barroom floor was quite so good, but at least you managed to not lose the baton.

John

Great flight Kasper,

I'm sympathetic as the PMDG 737-800 is currently occupying a lot of my time. I've finally got it through my head to hit the "Z" key at 1000AGL. Those go arounds sure take a lot of time (plenty of time to eat the crow).

Well done filling in for Jess and finding the baton.

Great flight Kasper, and thanks for stepping in with short notice.

Actually I will be picking up the baton instead of Brian since he's currently busy giving his grand kids candy and encouraging their bad behavior  (that's what grandparents does, isn't it  ;)

Great flight - I have the opposite problem than you; my regular planes are the Boeing's so I am used to the autopilot, FMC etc etc - I have recently purchased the Airbus X Extended and I can do everything apart from getting the autopilot to follow the altitude set on the FMC. I need to look further into it sure it is a user error :)

Superb story telling and nice screens - I love the styling of the 737 with winglets but my favourite is the 736! It's like a go-kart how you can 'whip' it about ;)

Take it easy

Jim