777-banner-900x210.jpg

Our special Cosford Flight SIm Show 2013 review release is the PMDG 777

Brian Cowell, a seasoned "PMDG'r" gives his detailed point of view, get a cup of coffee, no, make that 2 cups and settle in for a great read!

Read on

Pretty fabulous review, Brian,

Sounds like a great sim package. It may not be for me until I can upgrade my hardware, but Christmas is just around the corner.

Thanks for all your hard work in bringing this review to us.

Great review. I was sure I was going to give this PMDG a miss because I really don't need it in my fleet.

Now that was not an easy decision since the only other PMDG planes I don't own are the "fake" extensions of the 747-400X.

But since reading the review I have the nagging feeling that I will cave in sooner or later. :unsure:

I really enjoyed reading this review, Brian.  I've been sitting on the fence with regards to buying a PMDG model mainly due to my frustrating experience trying to learn a DCS model a couple of years ago when I didn't really have the time needed to spend learning it (just felt like a longggg complex game of button pushing, knob rolling, switch flipping only to buy the farm a few minutes later, shot by a missile or breaking my own rotors lol).  Now that I have a bit more free-time I may revisit looking at a PMDG model (more likely the 737).  Thanks for your review!

Kind regards,

Dave

if it is alright by you Joe I would prefer to settle into a good read :)

Thanks Nigel, I have put that right now, unfortunately I woke up the day of the show with a massive hangover! After a couple of Paracetamol  and an Eglish breakfast I was back in the life of the living  :D

> "....and an Eglish breakfast...."

:)   And, hopefully, baconlish as well!  

Seriously, though, many thanks indeed, guys: I very much appreciate your kind comments. It was quite hard to concentrate my usual leisurely getting-to-know process into just four weeks (especially on such an innovative bird) but it certainly concentrated what's left of my mind, too.    :P

All the best,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Just got to work - first things first check mutley's and distract myself from the dreaded day of work - so I opened up this review and took a read. Absolutely great review! Tells it how it is and credits the plane/PMDG very well. 

I have had the chance to fly the NGX several times and it is an amazing plane - it really did show me the importance of reading the manual. So the emphasis on reading manuals for PMDG products is a good one. They put so much work into these addons that to really appreciate the effort it would be rude not to jump into that manual and find out exactly what systems have been modeled and how to use them too. 

I think the one thing where I become hesitant when looking in purchasing a PMDG plane is the dinosaur system I have may not run such a complex addon. This is of course my own doing and therefore, I accept the fact it may be my systems fault that the addon is not running correctly/smoothly. I also accept that if I wanted this to run smoothly then an upgrade is necessary and it is not PMDG's fault. Other people in similar positions blame the addon creators which is obviously wrong; if you want the best you have to invest. 

Just wanted to put my point across there sorry :)

Once again, superb review, looks like a great addon and PMDG pull it out the bag again ;)

Good times for the heavy flyers!

Jim

Hi Jim!

Thanks for you comments! And: agreed: "state of the art" does imply a need for some serious hardware horsepower to run it.

You will have noticed that I included a screenshot of the system requirements as part of the review.    ;)

Cheers,

Bruce

Or whatever.....

Yeah definitely - the only question I have is regarding VAS; I don't want to start a huge discussion here because obviously it is how it is and that is that. But where you say the information about 4GB memory - is this RAM you are talking about as FSX can only use a maximum of 4GB worth of memory?

I ask this because in the recommended system req's it shows 8GB RAM - what is the point if FSX can only utilise 4GB?

Or am I completely off track and you can politely tell me to go read something :)

Cheers

Jim

Although, as a newb to these sophisticated airliners, I needed to do a few side searches for explanations, I enjoyed this well written and entertaining review. I think you did an excellent job of keeping it short and sweet, when it looked as if it was the kind of product that would require pages upon pages to cover everything. After reading your review and checking out some available videos, I can understand the lure of such a gracefully simulated aircraft like the 777. Nice piece of work Brian/Bruce. :thum:  

As a GA flier it looks like more of a job then an adventure to figure them out though. :D   

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, I did not dare read this until now as the, I want now don't wait for the DVD feeling has passed.

So yes I will await the DVD release.

A brilliant review Brian and I hope the PMDG mob on havenotsim have read it also?

There is only one problem left now and that is

I want this:

phaj6.jpg 

:thum:

Looks like you could have a party in there. That flight deck looks a little oversized, no? Still might be a hoot to own. :D  

Yeah, a Boston Tea Party Brett. It does look impressive though but I doubt whether my PC and brain could handle all that procedure to fly the thing. Hats off to the Demi-God that can. :hat: