Thinking of ORBX

I'm thinking of getting Orbx England but before I commit I have a few questions regarding compatibility and fps hits.

!. Take a look at my system spec, would it have an impact on frame rates? Mine are set at 30 fps.

2. Are there any issues using it with REX?

3. Is it compatible with UK2000 airports and Night Environment UK?

4. Is the installation and setup simple and straightforward?

I know, more dumb questions from me but I'd rather hear about it from users first hand experience.

As usual, all input is gratefully received.

1. No, maybe a smidge.

2. No

3. UK2000, I don't believe so. someone else would know better. NE UK, yes it will.

4. Yes

Does that help a little. :)

Adrian just posted a nice pic here that shows what it would look like. I like ORBX products even though they are somewhat close but are not as accurate as photoscenery in an overall way. I think they look nicer, they are more colorful and great for GA flying as the regions have accurate roads and rail. It will not have every single POI shown in the UK but they try and put as much as they can without the file size being to big or having it affect frame rates.

People either like ORB or they don't and prefer the UTX/GTX/MSE stuff. It's a personal preference really. 

Have you tried the ORBX PacificNorthWest Demo yet.(always read everything carefully with ORBX stuff) Check it out, fly around the demo area in default FSX and then switch to the demo area. Nothing to lose. :)  

Geoff..

1. Same processor as me, I have no problems with performance, just needs a little experimenting with the sliders to get the best speed for the quality that is acceptable for you. 

2. Absolutely not

3. Don't use UK 2000 airports, I would advise a quick scan of their forums, it would be quite a common combination of products. UK2000 sometimes do a demo of airfields so you can try before you buy. NE, no problem, I recommend it for night flying but check performance tweaks on Aerosoft.

4. Yes, If I can do it, so can you.

Questions are not dumb, remember we all have different specs but here to help if you need it!

Joe

I think Brett hit the nail on the head when he said "People either like ORB or they don't and prefer the UTX/GTX/MSE stuff. It's a personal preference really"

​I used to use UTX etc. but have gone over to the ORBX side and e-bayed all the stuff it replaced.  Absolutely no regrets, simply the best thing I ever did with FSX.

I have assessed the Orbx package by a little low and slow flying. It is not photo accurate but it is not photo flat.  Having said that there was enough there to pinpoint my own small road if not my house.  Vectors makes a big difference, with global and vectors you can fly by landmark anywhere.  I did so in my channel hop and France leg of the ATWC and also my Aussie outback leg.  Add a region on top like the England and it's just great.  

But I am sure there are some who would not agree with me. ;)  

Geoff,

I am an Orbyfied customer and enjoy their stuff.  (Photo MSE convert speaking)  You are OK to go with all your questions. 

The UK2000 fit a dream, but you will have to accept the there is a variation with the greenery of ORBX and UK2000 but is acceptable.

As suggested try the freebee first.  But be aware that the Freebee is part of ORBX PNW (Pacific North West) USA and Canada and that is rated to be the best ever of the ORBX releases.

I have the UK and am pleased with it now with all the updates, but on first release I was very disappointed.  So the one you would have now is the latest version..

Decisions decisions life is such a bitch at times..  :D

Orbx Regional scenery is very subjective. Lovely though it all is, if you are VERY familiar with an area, I don't think it works. I have all the Regions and fly NZ and No Cal up to SAK.

Love it to bits. Europe however, being home territory, doesn't do it for me. So I stick to Gen-X with alternating variations between ES-Trees & Rev-X plus various addon Objects.

Now, when Areas within Europe outside of the British Isles are released....that will be a whole new ball game. Really looking forward to the release of Norway in the not too distant future.

Like I said, its a very personal viewpoint. Many I am sure will see it in a different light.

Everyone, I really appreciate your comments, as James says, decisions, decisions.

I should have mentioned that I have a dozen or so UK2000 airports and that would have been a deciding factor but after checking, there is a slight mismatch but I can live with that.

I'll take your advice and get a demo... PNW or Iceland... hmm...

PNW here I come. :D

Thanks guys. :thum:

Everyone, I really appreciate your comments, as James says, decisions, decisions.

I should have mentioned that I have a dozen or so UK2000 airports and that would have been a deciding factor but after checking, there is a slight mismatch but I can live with that.

You only need to delete the FTX entries for the UK2000 airports you have. Otherwise you will get duplicate buildings etc.

That must be the right choice of demo. Iceland doesn't do ORBX justice IMHO as Iceland is 80% bu***r all.

Well... I got PNW demo and took a spin in my Islander and must say I am impressed, stayed at 30fps throughout.

Looks like a whole new ball game here, literally opening a new world on my simming adventures. A bit of GA to blow the cobwebs away.

Now how's the Paypal account looking? :):thum:

You only need to delete the FTX entries for the UK2000 airports you have. Otherwise you will get duplicate buildings etc.

As long as the UK2000 airports are above the ORBX entires in the scenery library you shouldn't need to delete any files..

As far as ORBX England goes, the only issue I've had are occasional OOM errors when flying over central London. I'm sure I could solve that by adjusting my settings, but since I rarely fly in that area I haven't tried to find a setting that works.

Thanks Micke, London always has a hit on frame rates especially as I have London City and Heathrow and NE UK. I guess a few compromises will be needed. :thum:

I used to be a big orbx owner  but sold off aussie and PNW and now only use a bit england, wales and ireland  with their uk airports

However I run my p.c. using DX10 and all the sliders maxxed out and the only time i might get an issue is when i have the LOD radius higher than the sttock 4.5 (normally I use 8.5) and i combine orbx with say pmdg and that sometimes gives me a ctd

consequently now I use photoscenery 85% of the time and NEVER have a problem ever

fyi

I am currently reviewing a couple of Alabeo a/c using ftx england and ftx stapleford airfield, using dx9 my p.c struggles to give me 22fps , sometimes it dips to 14 fps or even less, however using dx10 it is always 30fps so bear this in mind if you go the ftx/orbx route.

Well thanks all, I've stuck my neck out, dipped my toe in the water and put my finger on the Buy Now button, England boxed from Just Flight, looking forward to the post tomorrow.

Bet you it'll be in a sale next week. :(:thum:

Bet you it'll be in a sale next week. :(:thum:

You got it Geoff. That's what happens to me and I presume most of the other guys too. Enjoy when you get it. :thum:

Have fun. :) I think you will like it and then Scotland, Wales and Ireland won't be to far behind. :D

Sales, eh, sometimes you will, sometimes you lose.  Wait for sales on the other connecting regions, great for commercial hops. ;)

This is for FTXGlobal, not a region, which changes the default FSX textures and is almost a year old. ORBX finally started issuing an uninstaller Chris. :huh:

oops

i personally don’t use any orbx or keep track of their changes;

i know they issued the uninstaller eventually

thought the other information may be of interest

This is kind off topic but I didn't read the whole thing Chris, oops. :(

I see what the author is getting at and understand his concerns. One thing I notice is, this is the company that sells GEX products and I think and their product is in direct competition with Global because it also replaces textures so they are really the same product. The info is important if you already use or intend to use the GEX products but he sounds a bit harsh when he wrote it, must have been around the time Global first came out.

I haven't found much of anything that doesn't look good with FTXGlobal installed as far as other freeware and payware airports that bother me although I would gather that there are some out there. So I have been pretty happy with it to date and most of the world looks decent texture wise compared to default and ORBX trees are always a treat.

I wonder if their is a disclaimer on FTXGlobal in the stores about not working with GEX or do you just have to do your due diligence to learn this fact. Not to say that this is the first product that has messed up other products, right. :D  Anyway, thanks for bringing it up Chris. :)  

• Like 1

your right Brett; this came out a while ago

i noticed the author mended few details over time

he clearly has his opinion on the subject; but i don’t think its products quality issue or competition between GEX and Orbx

what caught my attention when i originally read the article was the LC "architectural" change being introduced to FSX

personally I was more concerned about the little details about compatibility down the road they didn’t emphasis on

Appologies for adding to the OT content, but here's some more input on the link Chris posted.

Not only is it from the company that sells GEX, it's written by the guy that develops GEX. So I'd say he is somewhat biased in his opinions.

There are some fair points in there, but there are also things that are outright wrong.

FTX Global works just fine with land class products from other developers. Despite using FTX Global and FTX Vectors I still have UTX land class active for Europe, and I have one other land class package for Asia (can't remember who made it right now, but they might be called Scenery Tech).

And as Chris have demonstrated, FTX Global works just fine with other addons for lights.

The fact that FTX Global overwrites any GEX textures is really self explanatory and shouldn't come as a surprise to the fairly experienced simmer, since they are essentially the same product with the exception that FTX Global does it on a global scale while GEX are released in regions.

@Geoff: Enjoy your ORBX experience...  Just remember that since you bought the boxed version you will most likely have the release version on the disc, so you will need those updates (three in total for England) as well as the latest ORBX libraries.

Install from the disc, switch your FTX region to EU in FTX Central, apply the three patches and finish off with the libraries.

• Like 3

@Geoff: Enjoy your ORBX experience...  Just remember that since you bought the boxed version you will most likely have the release version on the disc, so you will need those updates (three in total for England) as well as the latest ORBX libraries.

Install from the disc, switch your FTX region to EU in FTX Central, apply the three patches and finish off with the libraries.

Stu'

Now you have confused him..  :rofl: :rofl: