Leg 63 - Malta Internatinal (LMML) to Habib Bourguiba (DTMB

The Baton was finally in my grubby hands again after a quick meeting with Marcellus. I felt really sorry for him ending up second after Sharon, but what can you do, that lady knows how to fly!

After my arrival in Cilacap on Java I had followed the challenge closely while making my way to Brazil to enjoy a few matches in the world cup, and once I got word of the problems my fellow pilots were having with forces from an unknown source I had started to make my plans for this leg. After some research in Brazil I had managed to find a plane that I had hoped would keep me out of trouble. Not only had I gotten hold of a shark, the taxi and landing lights had been equipped with fricking lasers to counter any threats!!! 

It had taken me some time to ferry it over to Valetta though, but I had made it with a couple of days to spare. Since arrival I had my ride stored in a remote hangar at the airport, and the staff didn't even need greasing to keep it secret. They wanted our lay over on Malta to go smooth so we might one day return here.

While Marcellus were busy failing to out-fly Sharon I went up to the control tower to follow the race and have a little chat with the local controllers. In order to fool any evil forces they agreed that we could disguise my departure early next morning as a local VFR flight for system checks after service, and they would to nothing to interfere when I then departed the area for my flight over to Tunisia.

So, at the crack of dawn I had managed to roll my plane out of the Hangar and was doing my pre-flight checks on the south east apron.

01-Lets-see-if-they-want-to-mess-with-a-

Suddenly I was almost scared out of my pants when someone knocked on the window behind me. Outside was Sharon with a sly grin on her face asking to join me for my flight. After regaining my composure I welcomed her aboard, tied the plane down again and continued my pre-flight checks while waiting for the fuel truck to arrive. Sharon climbed aboard and took the right seat, tossing what looked like a trophy in to the rear seat.

"Do you mind if we get a move on, I need to get out of here before my opponents from the race yesterday realize I diluted their fuel with water to slow them down" she said sweetly.

02-Sharon-was-in-a-hurry-to-get-out.jpg

With the tanks filled and everything looking good we started our shark up and got our taxi clearance for a local flight. Ground sent us on a slightly round about taxi route via Foxtrot, India, Juliet, cross runway 24, Kilo, Romeo, cross runway 24 and Quebec to the holding point for runway 14, with hold short instructions for both crossings of runway 24.... 

Here we are on Romeo almost at the holding point for crossing RWY24. That 747 was waiting to line up on 14 but there were traffic coming in.

03-Long-taxi-and-lots-of-traffic.jpg

A busy morning i Valetta by the looks of it.

04-Busy-morning-in-Valetta.jpg

Taking off with a right turnout trying to keep out of the wake turbulence from that 747 (Tower asked my to taxi pass that Learjet for some reason, I guess they weren't kidding when they said they wanted our stay to go smooth).

05-Right-turn-out.jpg

Hopefully we had managed to fool anyone trying to keep up with us now, and I headed northwest on my planned but not filed route. First waypoint was the GZO VOR on that small island up ahead.

06-Some-clouds-out-over-the-coast.jpg

After passing the first waypoint we climbed up towards 8.000 feet and settled in for a 120 nm leg over water towards the Island of Pantelleria. Just visible in the haze of our right wing is the southern coast of Sicily.

07-Scicily-on-my-right-side.jpg

And to our left was nothing but water and clouds. Fingers crossed it will be a smooth flight without interference.

08-And-nothing-but-water-on-the-other.jp

Up at FL80 it was smooth sailing, but a head wind of 20 knots meant the crossing would take a lot longer than planned.

09-Calm-weather-but-a-20-knot-headwind.j

Islo di Pantelleria came in to view about an hour later.

10-Islo-di-Pantelleria-comes-into-view.j

Passing the small island, but it does have a rather large airport. Oh well, we still have plenty of fuel in the tanks so we kept pushing on. I did keep a careful eye on that boat though, until I was sure it was heading in to shore rather than trying to follow us.

11-Small-Island-rather-large-airport.jpg

Another 48 nm of water crossed, and we made landfall at the Sidi Bel Abiod NDB. From here we turned to a heading of 249 towards the city of Tunis.

12-Tunisia-here-we-come.jpg

Passing over Sidi Bou Said, a small town east of Tunis that through the years have been home to many painters, artists and even the french philosopher Michel Foucault. Just south of here you will also find Carthage, even though it's very much missing in FSX. (I think Sharon fell a sleep as I was trying to convey my knowledge of the local tourist attractions to her, at least she fell very silent).

13-Sidi-Bou-Said.jpg

After passing the eastern outskirts of Tunis we head south towards our destination. The clouds started to gang up on me as we start to get closer to the eastern parts of the Atlas Mountains.

14-Clouds-of-Fog.jpg

Passing what should have been the city of Hammamet. Nowhere to be seen though... I spent my Honeymoon down there I informed Sharon... "Did you and your wife camp out on the beach or what" was her reply....

15-Where-did-Hammamet-go.jpg

Halfway between Hammamet and our destination we find the new tourist hub, Monastir Endifha Mohamed Bouazizi Airport (DTNZ) opened for service in November 2009, just 6 months after my visit to the country.

16-DTNZ-Monastir-Endifha-Mohamed-Bouaziz

Trying to spot the airport through the haze. My radios refused to pick up the ILS so I would have to do this visually.

17-A-slight-haze-blocks-my-view.jpg

Managed to find it with a little help from the GPS. Short final for runway 07.

18-ILS-not-working.jpg

Down safe and sound, but left of the center line, after an uneventful three hour flight.

19-Down-slightly-to-the-left.jpg

Aircraft secured, let's try to get in to the terminal and passed customs.

20-Parked-up-and-aircraft-abandoned.jpg

Welcome to Monastir!

21-Welcome-to-Monastir.jpg

Like a true professional!

The Cherokee is a nice aircraft to fly and I love the shark livery with the laser beam lights!

Looks like you will have to hang around Monastir with Sharon for a couple of days until we get the next pilot arranged... Life is good  :cool: 

Just keep the baton out of sight,  :salute:

Nice PIREP Micke!  I guess the bad guys got wind of Sharon being in the aircraft with you.  That made you as safe as houses, nobody is going to mess with her!  

Thanks.

Joe: It sure is a great little plane, and when I saw that livery it just had to be used  ;)

Glad i didn't need to use those lasers though.. looking at it the beams might have been a tad to close to the propeller  :whis:

John: And a wise decision it was not to mess with Sharon. There was a very distinct bulge in one of her pant pockets so I suspect she was packing heat...  Either that or there's something "she's" not telling us  :wacko2:

As I looked at the picture of the hold point, I got this image of that little Cherokee biting the leg of the 747 and not letting go, Grrrrrrrrr. :D  

Enjoyed the read and checking out the great shots Micke. :thum: I can see why you went with the 180, I am in love with that plane.

I do feel like I don't receive a lot of stations in it though, I feel like I might have to ask about it in their forums. Even still, the model is so gorgeous I could live without them.

Thanks Brett.

All Navaids up to that ILS worked just fine, and I can't say I've had any issues with the radios previously either so it's really odd.

I guess it could be a scenery glitch too... I picked up that airport at Aerosoft just days prior to the flight and it was the first time I tried the ILS for the airport. Had just done a few circuits over it to make sure it was working before the actual flight.