Curved television screens.

Have recently had an opportunity to see some curved lcd tv's.

Not sure about them as a tv, but using one for displaying FS scenery when sat at the focal point of the curve could be interesting.

The price of these are a bit steep, but as with any new technology prices soon tumble downwards - last Friday I saw a new 40" 4k tv for less than £600.

One worrying aspect of these curved screens is that in a dark room they look great, but last Friday my local Curry's set one up in a well lit area of the store, &, like a shaving mirror, the curved screen focuses any light source in the room into its focal point, which just happens to be the best viewing position - very disturbing.

As a tv, a curved & glossy display in a normally illuminated room is not a good combination.

Ray.

That's interesting Ray, I went into my local Curry's/PC world yesterday and they had a LG curved screen TV right near the entrance so in plenty of daylight and the picture looked great. I must admit to not not sitting down in the prime viewing area.

I wonder what resolution it displays from a PC?

Joe

I remember when cinema screens were curved !!! :old-git:

saw the world premier of Krakatoa east of Java in a cinemascope theatre  in Miami Beach seemed pretty cool back then!

I remember "How the West was Won!"

Ah, those were the days - you could go down the road with half-a-crown, buy a packet of fags and the Daily Herald and still have change for a (Shuddit! - Ed).

Cheers - Dai. smiley48.gif

Joe,

I think that most TV's these days have a vertical resolution of 1080 lines - the 4k TV's being introduced have double this, but like with the introduction of 1080 lines, the pro's i.e. BBC & ITV lagged behind the amateurs when it was introduced. We now have 4k amateur/enthusiast 4k video available & BBC/ITV are again lagging.

Ray.

I'm not sure I understand why they felt the need for a curved screen, it seems like a gimmick more than a viable alternative to the flat screen for TV viewing. What am I missing here. :huh:  Now as far as a FS monitor..... :cool:

______                     __

your vision is not flat and rectangle 2D; its narrow, wide and has depth -> |______| not like this |__|

as the screens grow in size; you will get natural curved covrage with more depth in your view

for now if you connect three of these together, well... you get the idea ;)

Chris B,

So true, we are on the verge of a breakthrough in affordable large screen displays available for home use due to the OLED technology now becoming available.

The pace that display technologies are moving is rapid, most of the plazma screen manufacturers have recently announced that they are ending production.

I've worked on wrap around military flight sim & artillery trainer displays for many years - having affordable similar household systems will be amazing.

Ray.

• Like 1

Ray/Chris, all true, but to make the most of them we'll need to drive them at far higher resolutions that we are currently able to with existing hardware and software.  I think we're talking the equivalent of 3x 4k screens and even the best GPU's out there right now can't do that at an acceptable fps.  Even if they could, the pricepoint would be exhorbitant.  I think we're going to have to wait a few years yet before we have those kind of visuals where they're affordable enough for the likes of me :P

• Like 1

very true Kevin; it will take some time for all these application and hardware to mature together

but it’s a step that had to made before the new specs are considered as standard’s than utilized in applications

if you graph the leap that’s been made in the past 10 years alone; its staggering to think what will be in two years from now

• Like 1

speculating out loud; i think the next thing will be focal point shift

so with these curved screens; the optimal focal point is center

they can today however allow for focal point shift; in other words

you can sit at an angle and still be in center focal point

they use this technology now in car screens

the driver can see the screen showing navigation instructions

while the passengers watch a movie off the same screen (with headset)

think very lossley of PAPI lighting system concept

Kevin,

Graphic card price/performance is still drastically improving each year or so, unlike each generation of Intel/AMD cpu which is lucky to improve performance by even 10% or 15%. Cpu's have seemed to reach a point where increasing clock speeds is no longer possible.

Not that FSX can make the most of graphic card improvements.

The next generation of displays may possibly have multiple graphic engines built into them, each one dedicated to its own portion of screen area.

Ray.

Ray I agree there's lots of possibilities, not denying any of them, just imagining that for them to come to market at a price I can afford, I'll be saving up for a few more years yet!  But when they are available, can anyone distract my wife for a few seconds so I can order some please? :P

I think that intel/AMD etc could very well make CPU's that run at higher clock speeds quite easily, but that their thermal performance would probably deteriorate non linearly, and that the market demand for them (outside simmers!) is pretty slim.  I guess that makes it technically possible but not economically worthwhile to pursue :(

Cheers K

early 90's when the first LCD screens came out; they were considered revolutionary technology

they were ridiculously expensive when they first hit the market

a 14 inch monitor run at 4k for the consumer; the 17inch was 7k

ppl were buying these like hotcake's

that screen today; you won’t take home if they gave it to you for free

you’re better off finding a ways to make more money than distracting the Miss.; she will bust your behind :P

I have seen both the curved screen and the 4K ones

4K are definitely the way forward.  they look so good that the image looks almost 3d.

As for curved screens, I am not convinced.  You seem to have to be in the focal point to get the best out of it. So even if you take room size that may mandate distance the watcher is from the screen out of the equation, then one has to ask how many people can be at the optimum focal point for viewing?

The answer would seem likely to be one. This means the the TV would be good for Billy no mates, or for a couple that are so close together that they are not going to be bothered about whats on the TV, unless it is not loud enough to drown out other noises that upstairs parents night not like.  That has nothing at all to do with picture quality, but might encourage investment in a good surround sound system.

rofl, with you on that John

i think eventually the curved TV and 4k will merge into one

after the focal point issue is resolved (i think it can be resolved; see pervious post)

the curvature will increase; probably some new filming format will be added to accommodate

when 3D becomes a standard; than this all will come together

as of now 3D off flat screen isn’t giving you the proper depth

with curved TV you will get that depth with 3D, you can reach into the picture

Joe,

I think that most TV's these days have a vertical resolution of 1080 lines - the 4k TV's being introduced have double this, but like with the introduction of 1080 lines, the pro's i.e. BBC & ITV lagged behind the amateurs when it was introduced. We now have 4k amateur/enthusiast 4k video available & BBC/ITV are again lagging.

Ray.

And now, we can only guess that PNN and FUX news will get 4k before BBC/ITV :(

I kind of feel like big screens are going to end up being limited to "audience" viewing like the family movie nights, which curved screen would not be good for with a limited sweet spot area. For personal monitors my virtual money is on glasses, goggles, contact lenses, or wearable HUD devices of some kind...very interested in seeing more of this kind of thing.

• Like 2

Joe,

Ray.

Actually, for once this may not be the case.  The BBC were experimenting with 4k high frame rate cameras at the Commonwealth Games.

rofl, with you on that John

i think eventually the curved TV and 4k will merge into one

after the focal point issue is resolved (i think it can be resolved; see pervious post)

the curvature will increase; probably some new filming format will be added to accommodate

when 3D becomes a standard; than this all will come together

as of now 3D off flat screen isn’t giving you the proper depth

with curved TV you will get that depth with 3D, you can reach into the picture

If you're interested, Samsung released a curved 4k Television.

Joe,

Ray.

Actually, for once this may not be the case.  The BBC were experimenting with 4k high frame rate cameras at the Commonwealth Games.

:)